RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #1

Generator will not turn off with dash switch

My generator will not turn off with the Dash Generator switch, have to turn off at the generator, I cleaned the contacts on the cable connection going into Generator, no change. Any ideas probable cause?

Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

Just to make sure.......you are pushing on the bottom of the rocker switch and not the top?

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

Bottom of switch
Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjburian View Post
My generator will not turn off with the Dash Generator switch, have to turn off at the generator, I cleaned the contacts on the cable connection going into Generator, no change. Any ideas probable cause?
When mine did the same thing it was caused by a corroded splice, (butt connector), 6-8 inches from the generator in one of the wires that run from the generator to the dash switch.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You probably have another generator start/stop switch in the bedroom. Try this and see if it works, if it does that narrows it down to the switch.

Did you pull apart the wiring harness at the generator and clean it out, this could collect moisture and play havoc with the functions of the generator.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Cleaned wiring harness at generator, will look at switch terminals.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #7

On the right front of the generator there is a large wire harness plug look at that then there is another one farther up the wires about 4 feet, mine did the same thing a few years ago it had just returned from the repair shop who serviced the generator, when they work on them they unplug that first wire plug because they are concerned about auto start, that harness goes the the switch, and other places, when you push and hold the dash switch the little light in the switch should come on, if not you have a connection issue
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After doing the recommended items you may need to work on the switch itself. They can get fussy and need a bit of cleaning. I just overhauled mine.

This can be tricky so you need to do this on a flat clean surface and put a towel down just in case you drop a part.

The switch must first come out of the dash. It can be a bit difficult and you must compress some tabs on the back. Next step is difficult too. Removing the switch from the connector. You may need to use a very small screwdriver to gain some space and get it moving off. Be careful to not damage the rocker face.

Once you have muscled the thing out and apart now you need to actually open the switch. There are some springs inside that are used to make contact with the light bulbs that are built into the switch that you need to be careful to not shake out.

The switch needs to be contacts down while you proceed or the springs may fall out of place. They go back in easily and are not the type that will fly across the room. You have to fiddle with the keepers on the ends of the switch to allow it to come apart. A bright light will help you see what is going on. As you carefully pull the switch apart you will see the springs sitting in their little holes and a piece of metal that runs the length of one side. This piece is rocked from end to end to make contact. Use some tweezers to lift it out. Once it is out use an emery board (wife’s fingernail file) to gently polish the contact. Cleaning the actual contacts in the switch can be tricky but I use the end but you can rip a piece of the emery board off and use that. Don’t get carried away. You are only removing a tiny layer.

Now carefully put the switch back together and give it a test.

For clarification, I do not mean that the rocker or face of the switch should be messed with.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD1 View Post
On the right front of the generator there is a large wire harness plug look at that then there is another one farther up the wires about 4 feet, mine did the same thing a few years ago it had just returned from the repair shop who serviced the generator, when they work on them they unplug that first wire plug because they are concerned about auto start, that harness goes the the switch, and other places, when you push and hold the dash switch the little light in the switch should come on, if not you have a connection issue
RonD1
That depends on how the remote was wired by the coach builder.

I don't doubt that the wires from your generator to your remote have a second harness plug "farther up the wires"..... however mine does not.

The generator remote wires on my coach are spliced 6-12 inches from the generator remote harness plug on the generator.... (the splices are hidden inside the black wire loom covering the wires).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to actually test the switch you can use an ohmeter. The wires are labeled. Find the one that says gnd. since the generator will start the ground wire is working as well as the signal line that probably shows gen start. Put your ohmeter on the ground lug and the gen start lug. Press the button and the ohmeter should show a short or zero ohms. Then find the wire that shows gen stop. It should show a short when you press the switch to the off position,
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

Issue resolved, the wiring harness terminal connection going into the generator was corroded, cleaned the pin connectors and generator shut down from the dash switch. 😀
Old 11-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjburian View Post
Issue resolved, the wiring harness terminal connection going into the generator was corroded, cleaned the pin connectors and generator shut down from the dash switch. 😀
Rjburian
Thanks for the update.

Tags
dash, generator