Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

Genset smokes on start up

have a Onan 10K generator that has about 300 hours on the clock. On start up it smokes really bad with grey smoke for about 2-3 minutes. After that it runs clean with little to no smoke.
The coach is new to me and I don't have a service record for the genset and coach is 10 years old and has just 14,000 miles. So not many hours for a ten year old unit. Just wondering if the fuel filter or and oil change is in order despite only having 300 hrs.
Not really sure why it smokes so badly at first then clears up.
Any advise or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

You may have glow plugs in that engine. If they are not working it will smoke on startup.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the same gen. If I'm not using the coach, and just firing it up monthly for exercise, I'll get a little puff of smoke.
Never lasts more than a few seconds thou.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #4

Blue/grey smoke = oil Black smoke =fuel. Do an oil change / filter replacement. 300 hours is not a lot of usage.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You may have glow plugs in that engine. If they are not working it will smoke on startup.
I believe these Kubota engines do have glow plugs.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I believe these Kubota engines do have glow plugs.
Kubota? I thought he said Onan?
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

Yeah, this vintage Onan 10KW generator, runs a Kubota engine.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yeah, this vintage Onan 10KW generator, runs a Kubota engine.
Good to know. I will check the unit and manual tomorrow. Interesting comment on the glow plugs. Will definitely do a filter and oil change.
Thanks
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Look in your Gen manual, Oil and filter should be changed every 150 hours. Pull your air filter and check it...maybe change it. If it's plugged the engine will be running rich.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Blue/grey smoke = oil Black smoke =fuel. Do an oil change / filter replacement. 300 hours is not a lot of usage.

CLIFFORD
White smoke = incomplete combustion of a cold diesel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygold View Post
have a Onan 10K generator that has about 300 hours on the clock. On start up it smokes really bad with grey smoke for about 2-3 minutes. After that it runs clean with little to no smoke.
The coach is new to me and I don't have a service record for the genset and coach is 10 years old and has just 14,000 miles. So not many hours for a ten year old unit. Just wondering if the fuel filter or and oil change is in order despite only having 300 hrs.
This coach is 10 years old but has very little use. If the generator has sat dormant for a long period of time it is quite possible the valve seals around the valve stems dried out and now may be seeping oil down into the cylinders when the engine sits. When the generator is started you get white smoke until the excess oil burns off. After you use the generator for awhile this condition may improve. The worst thing you can do to your generator is not to use it. You should make a habit of using the generator under load every month. This will keep the engine seals wet and drive moisture out of the windings of the generator.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A leaking fuel injector can cause smoky start up. Fuel leaks into the cylinder when engine is off, then takes a minute or two to burn up and clear once engine is started.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Likely the Main diesel smokes a bit too - 10 years and 300 hours and 14,000 miles - get that Puppy out and Run it - otherwise the parts will never loosen up.

Both engines need Fresh oil to start your New to You Life, Those Diesels are pretty tough - But they Need to Run...........

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Our 12.5KW Onan/Isuzu exhibits the same behavior. When I took it in for regular maintenance (oil change) the tech started the generator from the generator control panel and it did not smoke. I asked him why. He said that if they are cold and have sat for some time they will smoke upon starting. Most, if not all, of the smoking can be eliminated by cycling the glow plug pre-start warm up. i.e. press and hold the start switch for 3-4 seconds, release before it cranks and repeat several times. That gets the glow plugs really warmed up and when the engine starts the fuel is more completely burned.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote