Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
GFI issue

Love our 2005 HR Ambassador but hate how Monaco ran almost all of the electric through the 20 amp GFI in the bathroom. The guy before me said he occasionally struggled keeping in on and now I am.

It was raining hard here and has all week, so it's damp. We were watching some TV today and suddenly the GFI snapped and wouldn't reset. I replaced with 20 amp GFI (what was there before) and still won't reset. Any thoughts on where to start? I know GFI is temperamental so is it possible the dampness is causing it? The AC is running now.

Thanks in advance
tlgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #2

If you have an outdoor outlet check that for any water inside from the rain. Just moisture in the air shouldn't affect GFI.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
All the outlets on that circuit are daisy chained in series. Find the next outlet in the circuit and disconnect and then try resetting the GFCI. If successful it isn't the GFCI. Then go to the next outlet etc, continue until you narrow it down to the outlet causing the problem. Could be a bad outlet or connection.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
did you check the circuit breakers directly on the inverter?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #5

Brand of GFI

Some brands of GFI outlets are notoriously finicky in handling the coach's hybrid electrical system. Can't remember the brand of the most reliable one for motor homes. Perhaps someone will chime in.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:35 AM   #6

Update: Thanks for the responses and I did check outlets in the basement bays. Turned both A/C on low enough to keep them on to dry the air yesterday afternoon. After about an hour, the GFI didn't immediately trip and after about 3 hours it stayed on and hasn't tripped again. Weird! I was going to do the tedious job of unhooking the Daisy chain one outlet at a time as suggested but now I'm not sure how to do it.

FYI - I have a very nice multimeter and went around to outlets yesterday measuring ohms between outlet AC and ground. Didn't find any shorts in outlets. I'm at the point where I agree that the GFI circuit is just crazy sensitive.

Stumped!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

When my coach was new we had a lot of problems with the GFCI tripping for apparently no reason. It would also trip the house (stationary house in this case) GFCI if I plugged the coach into a home outlet...I would have to use a non-gfci outlet. Another anomaly was one side of the coach would not power up electrically at some RV parks (turns out they had GFCI's too.

Finally, I dug into the power box in the compartment with the ground power reel. It turned out the factory had mis-wired the power coming into the coach. Something simple but dumb, like reversing the neutral and ground wires from the power chord. If you continue to have issues, it might be worth checking.
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
When my coach was new we had a lot of problems with the GFCI tripping for apparently no reason. It would also trip the house (stationary house in this case) GFCI if I plugged the coach into a home outlet...I would have to use a non-gfci outlet. Another anomaly was one side of the coach would not power up electrically at some RV parks (turns out they had GFCI's too.

Finally, I dug into the power box in the compartment with the ground power reel. It turned out the factory had mis-wired the power coming into the coach. Something simple but dumb, like reversing the neutral and ground wires from the power chord. If you continue to have issues, it might be worth checking.
That's interesting. I'll check that this weekend.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post

Question: Are you saying that the 240 neutral was reversed with the ground wire?
Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgood View Post
Question: Are you saying that the 240 neutral was reversed with the ground wire?
It's been 10 years...but I am pretty sure I remember the bare ground wire and white neutral wires were reversed as they came into the house, but only on one side of the 240v circuit. The ground should not see any load, but on my coach it was carrying at least half the electrical load...one side of the 240 volts. At low loads it didn't make a difference, but at higher loads it would trip the coach gcfi. And, of course, if the coach was plugged into a gcfi circuit, it would sense the difference in load into the colored wire not matching the load out the white wire and trip the shore power.

I'm sure it was just an anomaly with my coach...but if strange things keep popping it's a possibility?!?
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Another reason (unless it's been covered) for GFCI's not to reset: no electricity going to them. Causes could be tripped breaker or poor connection or other fault anywhere between 120V source into the coach to the GFCI.

This one sounds to me like dampness that dried out. GFCI's are extreme hair-trigger devices. (They read an imbalance in amperage (?) between hot and neutral.) That possibility brings up the chance of water intrusion into the wall of the coach . . . .
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hermit View Post
Another reason (unless it's been covered) for GFCI's not to reset: no electricity going to them. Causes could be tripped breaker or poor connection or other fault anywhere between 120V source into the coach to the GFCI.

This one sounds to me like dampness that dried out. GFCI's are extreme hair-trigger devices. (They read an imbalance in amperage (?) between hot and neutral.) That possibility brings up the chance of water intrusion into the wall of the coach . . . .
The possibility of water in the walls has occurred to me but I can't find it anywhere. Went behind some of the outlets and everything is dry.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgood View Post
The possibility of water in the walls has occurred to me but I can't find it anywhere. Went behind some of the outlets and everything is dry.
Good news . . . from a background as a home inspector, I'd say the most likely cause is a failed GFCI, and the easiest first effort to correct the problem would be to replace it -- being very careful to get line and load connections correct.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote