Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
GFI Receptacle - Ice Maker

While on our last outing our ice maker and water outlet in the fridge door ceased working. I checked and found that the GFI receptacle was dead. I also noted that the 120 outlet near the entrance below the dash, passenger side and the 120 v outlet over the table no longer worked. None of the 120 v breakers in the back breaker panel are tripped and there was no "event" that should have tripped a breaker.

I suspect the GFI receptacle for the ice maker has tripped and caused the other two receptacles to be dead. Receptacle for the refer works so I suspect it is "upstream" from the ice maker GFI outlet.

Since this GFI receptacle has no test or reset - how can you reset these or can you ?? This GFI outlet looks REALLY cheap and I am thinking just to pull it and replace with household GFI outlet?? Didn't look that easy to remove the wire looks like I will need a special thin and narrow screwdriver to insert in the back if the receptacle to release the catch to remove the wire?

Guess the good old receptacle with screws were too expensive for a $200K motor home ??

Thanks for your suggestions
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

It may also be a breaker at the inverter...check that out and see if one of the two are blown.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogs1 View Post
It may also be a breaker at the inverter...check that out and see if one of the two are blown.
Humm........... Didn't know there were additional 120v breakers other that back at the 120V panel ??

So there are 2-120 v breakers by the inverter in the back passanger side compartment ?

I'll check that out tonight - thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

My reset GFCI is in our bathroom. Generally one GFCI is hooked to all the others. I had a similar problem last week when my icemaker would not work. All I hjad to do was reset the GFCI in the bedroom and walla it worked perfect.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyzw22 View Post
My reset GFCI is in our bathroom. Generally one GFCI is hooked to all the others. I had a similar problem last week when my icemaker would not work. All I hjad to do was reset the GFCI in the bedroom and walla it worked perfect.
Yep that worked -- I found a reset GFCI that was tripped - reset it and the ice maker came back.

Thanks Jimmyzw
Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Keep an eye on the ice maker. I had the same problem in our coach. GFI in bath would trip taking out 120 to most of the front of the coach. I would reset the GFI and it would trip at some point later. Finally figured out it would trip when the ice makere went into the heat mode to release a tray of ice. Unplugged icemakee for remainder of the trip. Service found a pinched wire. Worked for six months then started to trip GFI again. Service policy had entire ice maker replaced.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
liralen......Even though you resolved the issue, you need to familarize yourself with the two breakers on the Inverter. They are the most common to trip when you overload a circuit. In your bay behind the right rear wheel is your inverter. On the side of the inverter (facing you when you open the bay door) are two small push button circuit breakers. Mine usually trip when my wife uses her blow dryer while there is some other high draw item like a toaster running.

I've never had one of the house style 120v breakers trip since I've owned the coach. When I do lose power I check the GFI first, then the Inverter second. If I'm running the generator, the breaker on the generator nose is the third place I look.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for sharing Diplomat Don --

So many secrets -