Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #1

Girard awning help

I have an 07 Beaver Patriot Thunder. All window awnings are stuck in the down position.
The simplex switches are still lit, and amber color illuminates as switch is depressed. None of the switches in the panel (all awning switches) will work.
We’ve checked fuses at simplex box, fuses at the roadside service box, all good.
We’ve disconnected all power 120v and 12v including solid and inverter Power then hooked back up.
We’ve tried to locate the boxes that run the awnings to but-pass but are unsuccessful at locating them. Tried overhead bu TV, inside all cabinets, about the only place we haven’t tried is under the dash. Which BTW, a poster in the roadside service bay does show Awning- mid-dash.

Any suggestions?
07Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #2

Try either turning off your "Salesman" switch or open your house battery disconnect for a few seconds, then turn it back on. That should re-boot your Intellitec multiplex system.

EDIT - Uh Oh, reading it again, I see that you may have done that.

What I think you are describing is the Intellitec system that controls those shades. Let's check that. Are th buttons you are referring to that are lighting up the same type of keypads that run your house lights, fans, slides, etc.?

Are all of the blinds on one keypad, or multiple keypads?

Let us know that, and we'll see if we can go from there. Cheers, and have a happy Cinco de Mayo!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Try either turning off your "Salesman" switch or open your house battery disconnect for a few seconds, then turn it back on. That should re-boot your Intellitec multiplex system.

EDIT - Uh Oh, reading it again, I see that you may have done that.

What I think you are describing is the Intellitec system that controls those shades. Let's check that. Are th buttons you are referring to that are lighting up the same type of keypads that run your house lights, fans, slides, etc.?

Are all of the blinds on one keypad, or multiple keypads?

Let us know that, and we'll see if we can go from there. Cheers, and have a happy Cinco de Mayo!

Good morning!
Yes the buttons are the same as all other house etc buttons.
All awnings are on one keypad (all not working)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	284236
Old 05-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

More? Are you talking about the window awnings? When you say awnings, those are the units that are mounted on the outside of the coach and that extend out to limit sunshine coming into the coach and to provide shade for sitting outside and being social, or even to keep rain off of the windows. You probably have three or four of those. And some common brands would be Carefree or Colorado and Girard.

Or are you talking motorized window coverings can be raised or lowered for privacy or to darken the inside of your coach?

Or are you talking about the motorized shades that are mounted above the windshield where you may have one long one, or two with one for the driver and one for the passenger?

All three of those types of awnings, coverings and shades typically have different control systems. On coaches of your and our vintage, it was common for the outside awnings to be controlled by 120 volt systems and a dedicated control module. (On ours, it is in the overhead cabinet on the curbside wall, a foot or two back of the entry door.).

The motorized window coverings may likely be controlled by the Intellitec multiplex system and operated from one or more keypads with four, six or ten buttons on each. You likely have maybe a dozen of those keypads in your coach. They control the systems thru modules mounted somewhere in the interior back of your coach. In ours it is in an overhead cupboard in the bedroom.

The windshield shade(s) are more likely controlled with rocker switches on the dash and/or the driver and passenger arm rest switch panels. Those don't use the Intellitec system, but rather do the switching the old fashioned way, by controlling the 12 volt power directly to the shade units.

Just trying to be sure what system(s) you are having a problem with, as the solutions can be radically different.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
More? Are you talking about the window awnings? When you say awnings, those are the units that are mounted on the outside of the coach and that extend out to limit sunshine coming into the coach and to provide shade for sitting outside and being social, or even to keep rain off of the windows. You probably have three or four of those. And some common brands would be Carefree or Colorado and Girard.

Or are you talking motorized window coverings can be raised or lowered for privacy or to darken the inside of your coach?

Or are you talking about the motorized shades that are mounted above the windshield where you may have one long one, or two with one for the driver and one for the passenger?

All three of those types of awnings, coverings and shades typically have different control systems. On coaches of your and our vintage, it was common for the outside awnings to be controlled by 120 volt systems and a dedicated control module. (On ours, it is in the overhead cabinet on the curbside wall, a foot or two back of the entry door.).

The motorized window coverings may likely be controlled by the Intellitec multiplex system and operated from one or more keypads with four, six or ten buttons on each. You likely have maybe a dozen of those keypads in your coach. They control the systems thru modules mounted somewhere in the interior back of your coach. In ours it is in an overhead cupboard in the bedroom.

The windshield shade(s) are more likely controlled with rocker switches on the dash and/or the driver and passenger arm rest switch panels. Those don't use the Intellitec system, but rather do the switching the old fashioned way, by controlling the 12 volt power directly to the shade units.

Just trying to be sure what system(s) you are having a problem with, as the solutions can be radically different.

The exterior mounted (4)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	284237
Old 05-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Patriot View Post
The exterior mounted (4)
Attachment 284237

Girard G 2085 Awnings above the windows
Old 05-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

We were typing at the same time. Dang!

Yes, that is the Intellitec system. ALMOST always, killing the 12 volts to the CPU for that system will re-set it. I have gone so far as to remove the keypad and unplug the cable from the back of it to get it going, but later came to believe that removing the power would accomplish the same purpose. We have one in the bathroom that gets finicky maybe a couple or three times a year. I can open the drawer under it and kind of reach up behind it and unplug the connector for a few seconds and then re-connect it, and that ALWAYS (?) fixes it (FOR A WHILE).

You probably also have a MASTER button on one of your keypads in the coach. I've never had any luck with that other than that it will turn off everything. I don't know that it resets anything.

If you keypad is in trouble, there is an outfit that can actually help you. They have the keypads and they can do the programming. The keypads do have programming in them that is unique to each one, so they can't be just swapped.

You might try using the house battery disconnect again, and see if that does anything. Leave it off for maybe ten seconds or so. Disconnecting the 120 VAC shouldn't have any effect, and disconnecting the chassis battery shouldn't have any effect.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:

And yes, controlled by 12v at the rear of the coach.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #9

You and I are typing too fast. (I can't make a smiley-face cause they don't go thru.)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
We were typing at the same time. Dang!

Yes, that is the Intellitec system. ALMOST always, killing the 12 volts to the CPU for that system will re-set it. I have gone so far as to remove the keypad and unplug the cable from the back of it to get it going, but later came to believe that removing the power would accomplish the same purpose. We have one in the bathroom that gets finicky maybe a couple or three times a year. I can open the drawer under it and kind of reach up behind it and unplug the connector for a few seconds and then re-connect it, and that ALWAYS (?) fixes it (FOR A WHILE).

You probably also have a MASTER button on one of your keypads in the coach. I've never had any luck with that other than that it will turn off everything. I don't know that it resets anything.

If you keypad is in trouble, there is an outfit that can actually help you. They have the keypads and they can do the programming. The keypads do have programming in them that is unique to each one, so they can't be just swapped.

You might try using the house battery disconnect again, and see if that does anything. Leave it off for maybe ten seconds or so. Disconnecting the 120 VAC shouldn't have any effect, and disconnecting the chassis battery shouldn't have any effect.

I’ve unplugged the keypad, only the one that switches that control the awnings are on. I’ve disconnected the batteries 2 separate times now with no avail.

I’m guessing there has to be some kind of switch or relay between the simplex switch and the awnings. This is what I need to find
Old 05-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #11

Ok, now I don't know. Other than our main patio awning, ours are the Clampit design. (Awning hook and the Armstrong method). Our patio awning is powered by 120 VAC. Yours are likely 12 volt motors directly controlled by the Intellitec.

I think we're back to suspecting the CPU/keypad communication. One question. Are the keypad lights staying lit? That is the symptom when ours in the bathroom acts up. The buttons stay lit, and they do not function.

Now, I'm going to quit typing and see what you have, as just now I got a tag saying you had replied. So our messages are "crossing in the mail" again.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Ok, now I don't know. Other than our main patio awning, ours are the Clampit design. (Awning hook and the Armstrong method). Our patio awning is powered by 120 VAC. Yours are likely 12 volt motors directly controlled by the Intellitec.

I think we're back to suspecting the CPU/keypad communication. One question. Are the keypad lights staying lit? That is the symptom when ours in the bathroom acts up. The buttons stay lit, and they do not function.

Now, I'm going to quit typing and see what you have, as just now I got a tag saying you had replied. So our messages are "crossing in the mail" again.

Lol! The keypads aren’t staying lit. There was an issue with that about a week ago, now they’re off.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #13

And they work?
Old 05-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

I have a 214 page set of drawings most all of which apply to the 2007 Patriot coaches. If you want them, you could either share your email or send me a PM with your email and I can send them to you. I think we're talking about 10 MB or so for the set.

Tags
awning