Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #1

Girard Awning owners...am I missing something?

Maybe you Girard Awning owners can give me some helpful hints on usage.
I have 2 girard awning that cover almost the whole passenger side and they are huge. I love how far out they go and all the area they shade, however, there is no slope to them at all. The dealer told me I can't use them in ANY rain or wind. For me, that makes those big ole expensive awning about useless.
Is there any type of mod that can be made to them so that there is some slope away from the coach so that they shed rain instead of becoming a great big rain reservoir?
I realize the wind sensor is supposed to close them when the wind blows to hard, but I haven't had nerve enough to leave them out long enough in the wind to see if the sensor really works. When they start flapping up and down, I chicken out and bring them in manually.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Hi Bill, on my Girard awning on my 2004 Sig the manual specifies what I remember as a 20* slope and that is close to what I have. They also give the procedure in the Girard manual of how to adjust the slope. Did a manual com with the MH. I was out in New Mexico and the evenings winds came up and my awning went in OK my itself.

If no manual then go to this site and download one. I believe you have a model G2000 Product Downloads

If not then I have emailed you the pdf manual
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

Mike,
You sure are the "go to" guy for any sig question. Thanks for the info, I've downloaded the pdf but not sure if it's my model yet. I don't have a manual but will check later this afternoon to see if I can find a model number.

Have you left your awning extended in the rain? Was the 20 degrees enough to shed the water?
I sure hope I can make the necessary adjustments.

We're still sitting out here in South Fork, Co enjoying the cool temps and good trout fishing

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #4

My awnings are installed pretty flat also. One time the wind came up pretty good but the sensor didn't close the Awninings, they instead folded back in and then sprung out after the gusts slowed down with no harm done. I thought they were designed to do that. As far as the rain I believe they will tilt front to back or vise versa. I wouldnt use them in a heavy rain though. Hopefully others can tell us what they really are designed to do.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #5

There is an adjustment for the angle. I have adjusted mine many times depending on conditions. Its pretty simple. Should be in the manual.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #6

Thanks to Mike sending me the manual, I now see where to make the adjustments to lower the angle. However, I've been so busy catching Rainbow, Browns and Cut Throats here in Colorado, I haven't had time to pull out my ladder and get this done.
Man, having a great time RV'g sure is tiring.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how successful I am at adjusting this later.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #7

Finally got the angle adjusted on my Girard awnings. There is now a slope to both awnings but not sure it's enough to let all the rain run off without puddling. I may test this one day in a light rain but will keep a long handled brush available in case I need push up on the awning material to make it drain.
The manual says the wind sensor will auto close the awnings when it senses sustained winds 18mph or more. I started to test this the other day when the wind picked up but lost my nerve. They were doing lots of bouncing before the wind ever got close to 18mph. I think I need to just remember to never leave them out when I'm not going to be close to the coach.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #8

I have watched the Girard awning automatically close in high winds, so i can say it works as designed. You can also test this in calm weather by taking compressed air and blow at the sensor which will make it spin faster simulating a windy condition.

The only time i am nervous is when the awning arms are not fully extended (sometimes i use it as partially extended so i can get some sun and some shade)

Also you can take a garden hose on the roof and turn on the water to see if the awning would drain water properly. Try to put the garden hose at one end of the awning and slowly walk your way to the other end. Look for puddles.
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote