Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Giving the Silverleaf VMSpc one more chance

I've had the Silverleaf for ~8 or 9 years and although in the past it had been finicky today it was intolerable.

Over the last couple weeks I've been installing the FASS system and today I went to get a new set of tires (which is another story). Got ready to leave the house and started the Silverlead system on a small Sony Viao which has had the system installed from the beginning. Today as soon as the laptop would link to the VMSpc the screen would lock up. Restarted multiple time and finally gave up until I got home.

Parked the rig in the garage and started to try and figure out what was going on with no success. Finally decided to try and load the software my newer Dell XPS laptop. When I hooked to the system I could not get it to recognize the VMSpc module, I knew I had to figure out what Com it was communicating on, on the Sony it was the Com19, did some diagnostics and it came up with a message which made me try and install the drivers. Evidently the original install did not do it. After reinstalling and doing some more diagnostics I finally got my laptop to link with the system and showing real time data.

I then deleted the software off the Sony Laptop and reinstalled the VMSpc software and did a manual install of the drivers. This worked and as of a couple hours ago the system was working, who knows if it will work tomorrow.

But I know one thing, if it acts up again it's going in the trash and I'll get a Bluefire system. This is the VMSpc's last chance.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 05:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I never ran into that problem. I used to have the older RS232-serial port based VMSpc and I recall the virtual COM ports of the RS232-USB adapter was a problem. It only worked with some Serial-to-USB adapters. After I changed over to the USB version that became a non-issue.

Now under Win7 there's this annoying border around the gauges. I asked on Silverleaf's VMSpc forum how to eliminate the wasted apace which forces the letters and numerals to be smaller than need be.... that was about a year ago... it took a long time to get an answer.

I see now Bluefire has a Windows 10 capability; don't recall seeing that the last time I looked. Let us know if you install one.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I never ran into that problem. I used to have the older RS232-serial port based VMSpc and I recall the virtual COM ports of the RS232-USB adapter was a problem. It only worked with some Serial-to-USB adapters. After I changed over to the USB version that became a non-issue.

Now under Win7 there's this annoying border around the gauges. I asked on Silverleaf's VMSpc forum how to eliminate the wasted apace which forces the letters and numerals to be smaller than need be.... that was about a year ago... it took a long time to get an answer.

I see now Bluefire has a Windows 10 capability; don't recall seeing that the last time I looked. Let us know if you install one.
Yes, BlueFire will only work on Win 10 for a PC, it does have a lot of must haves to work, unfortunately, a lot of tablets don’t support all the requirements. I would like to upgrade to it, but spending an extra $500 to $800 for a tablet to support this and my VMSPC is a little to much, for now, I’ll stick with my Dell tablet and VMSPC

2.0+ GHz processor
 4+ GB RAM (8 recommended)
 64-bit OS Windows 10 Latest Version
 Open COMM ports. Windows 10 uses two COM ports for Bluetooth so if you have any devices also using the COM ports (eg. USB drives), they could conflict and keep Bluetooth for connecting to the Adapter.
 Power Option - High Performance
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Yes, BlueFire will only work on Win 10 for a PC, it does have a lot of must haves to work, unfortunately, a lot of tablets don’t support all the requirements. I would like to upgrade to it, but spending an extra $500 to $800 for a tablet to support this and my VMSPC is a little to much, for now, I’ll stick with my Dell tablet and VMSPC

2.0+ GHz processor
 4+ GB RAM (8 recommended)
 64-bit OS Windows 10 Latest Version
 Open COMM ports. Windows 10 uses two COM ports for Bluetooth so if you have any devices also using the COM ports (eg. USB drives), they could conflict and keep Bluetooth for connecting to the Adapter.
 Power Option - High Performance

Good to know and something to contemplate.

I'm surprised the Silverleaf isn't trying harder to keep their product up to date. The last update I've found on their website is 2018. They do have a forum but it looks like they hardly respond to questions.

Their missing out a new generation of users.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

I'm surprised the Silverleaf isn't trying harder to keep their product up to date. The last update I've found on their website is 2018. They do have a forum but it looks like they hardly respond to questions.

I just recently added the BlueFire. I already have a new Ipad pro, so it was an easy transition. Now if my Aladdin Jr. goes south, I have a back up.

BlueFire is only set up for a 9 pin diagnostic post. Some older coaches will have only a 6 pin and BlueFire has you purchase a 6-9 pin adapter from a 3rd party vendor.

Every coach seems different on what information is available from the diagnostic port and you have to wait to get everything hooked up before you can evaluate exactly what information you will be able to display. BlueFire's owner assured me that if I wasn't happy with what my coach's diagnostic port would transmit, he would allow me to return it, nice to know, but I was good with the available information. You design your own dash (or you can upload other's dash), and the display can get as simple or as complex as you would like.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

Silverleaf has recently been sold so don't expect any upgrades to VMSpc.
In my previous rig I ran VMSpc on a tablet with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've run the Silverleaf on a laptop since late 2013, I like the ability to see the engine and transmission operating parameters. So when it wasn't working I felt "naked".

Hopefully uninstalling and installing the software has solved the problem, I'll know this next week on a short trip.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Any idea who bought them, or if they're going to continue to build/support their products? I'm still waiting for them to build the interface between VMSpc and TST tire monitor.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Feb 20, 2021: "Winegard Co. announced this week that it has acquired SilverLeaf Electronics"

https://www.thehawkeye.com/story/bus...cs/4488891001/
Old 05-24-2021, 06:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'e been using VMSpc since Martin Perlot first introduced it at a Beaver rally in 1995. I am now running it on a Dell 17" laptop running Windows 8 ( yes 8 is correct) I only used the Dell laptop for VMSpc and a copy of the last issue of TOPO USA.
The RV never moves unless these two programs are running.

The VMSpc has saved me several times by showing real time engine data.

I am really p****d at Garman for taking TOPO off the market after they bought DeLorme.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
I'e been using VMSpc since Martin Perlot first introduced it at a Beaver rally in 1995. I am now running it on a Dell 17" laptop running Windows 8 ( yes 8 is correct) I only used the Dell laptop for VMSpc and a copy of the last issue of TOPO USA.
The RV never moves unless these two programs are running.

The VMSpc has saved me several times by showing real time engine data.

I am really p****d at Garman for taking TOPO off the market after they bought DeLorme.
I still use DeLorme's Street Atlas USA... with VMSpc sharing the screen of a 12" Lenovo Thinkpad. Garmin has done nothing to support any of Delorme products.

Now we see Winegard owns Silverleaf. Expect more of the same.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Now we see Winegard owns Silverleaf. Expect more of the same.
Did you know that the Discovery owners group still supports Streets and TOPO overlays. See: https://www.discoveryowners.com/assets/poidownload.asp

I recently called SilerLeaf with a question about VMSpc and got great support with a very detailed answer.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Good to know! Thanks super_rep.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Minor blurps

We'll over the last couple of days I was working on the coach and would make sure to turn on the laptop & VMSpc and it came up every time without a problem.

Today I drove about 250 miles and the system worked pretty good. There were a couple times where I saw some odd stats on the screen but it straightened itself out without having to shut it down.

So for now the VMSpc has earned a reprieve, for the time being.