Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Glass Headlamp Replacement for Plastic?

Anyone have a source for replacing the older headlamps that are plastic and fog over?? Have a 2000 Windsor with the single High/Low on each side that just won't "polish" up...... Can't seem to find a source for glass replacement headlamp??
Help
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
KIX

Remove the headlight and water-sand it with 1500. Then clear coat it. I have never personally tried this but have seen the result of this effort. I have no idea how long it would last. If I was going to try this method I would have located a replacement for the one I was using as a guinea pig.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Kix... Been there, done that!!!!
Want the real glass this time.......
Old 09-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
KIX

I guessing that you won't find a glass replacement. Hope you have some luck in your search
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
I had the same problem. I called the MFG. and the lights they used for my model came from Ford. They gave me the part number for the replacement. Then I google that part number and found after market headlights, direct replacement, with the glass cover. More then double the price of the original but worth it.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
awesome OneRVer...... I thought they looked like a "Ford".... I'll call Monaco tomorrow!!

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #7

Any new information for this?

Thanks,

CP
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Cory..... no, sorry to say!!! Couldn't seem to find the GLASS version of the headlamp. Purchased new plastic ones .... about $30 a piece ... couldn't stand the frustration anymore and wanted to have for better night vision.....
FYI... "almost" bought the supposed replacement in a "European" (new coach) look..... they were about $190 for a set???? Like I said, almost did that.... just wasn't convinced I could get them to fit... then a real mess!!!!
If it was enough fun changing out the assemblies as they were!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Yep I agree. I thought the ones I ordered were glass, nope plastic. I called them on it and they said "didn't you read the fine print". Well here we go again. Good news, they did fit but the lighting is not any better, maybe worse than the original's. Oh Well!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

Thanks guys for the update. I just polished them up with the 3m stuff. It helped some. I need to try a better bulb.

Thanks,

Cory P.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Cory I tried the 3M stuff and well,,,,,,it seemed to help but that was just about it. When I finally decided to pull out the lights I noticed that the reflecting material behind the bulb was the problem. The mirror like finish that is suppose to enhance the light bulb had faded away to where there was no more reflection.

So before you spent a couple of hours using the 3M and your elbow grease, be sure to check the finish on the inside of the housing. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Another way to get brighter headlights is to check the voltage at the lamp. Should be close to 12v. If not, get a relay and run a 12 gauge stranded wire from the starting battery + terminal to the relay (follow the directions that come with the relay). Having full voltage at the headlights can make a difference.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlamp, headlamp replacement, plastic headlamp