Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhinde View Post
You can try the Simpson Tire Mount. It is a great way to carry your spare. You can check it out at rvtiremount.com.

Jerry
This is a great solution IF you have a side radiator, rear radiator units shouldn't use anything that will block the airflow. At least that is what my owners manual says...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
This is a great solution IF you have a side radiator, rear radiator units shouldn't use anything that will block the airflow. At least that is what my owners manual says...
I have sent an email with a few questions about the rear radiator issue and a couple of other issues and I will post the response
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #45

I carry unmounted spare in bay under slide,keep extra water hose & other small items we use B-4 slide goes out. That keeps me from using that space for things I'll have to crawl under the slide to get out.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
I won't carry a spare due to the weight for the first thing and space for the second, If I need tire service...... I call Good sam, that is what I pay them for, and as far as the cost of the tire while on the road...... that's vacation and the fund will pay for it. How many folks can and will be honest as to how long they have hauled a spare around and for how many year's and not used it?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I hauled a spare for 35 years on every vehicle I owned and only needed one once in 2004. That's not the point, you can call Good Sam, Coach Net or AAA and pay them thousands, but it doesn't mean they'll have a spare that will fit or be able to get you one for two or three days.

To me, the least likely person to need a spare is someone who is retired and can afford to sit around if a spare has to be ordered. Anyone who is still working and needs to get to where they're going in a timely manner or home in a timely manner are the ones that can't afford to get stuck.

My recommendation to anyone who thinks that a roadside service can get them a tire in an emergency is to call around some day while you're at home and see how fast you can locate a tire locally that fits your coach.

It's a personal choice and a comfort level issue if you decide to carry a spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #48

I don't even think being retired could make the idea of sitting in your coach, parked on the shoulder of the interstate for three days, palitable.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I hauled a spare for 35 years on every vehicle I owned and only needed one once in 2004. That's not the point, you can call Good Sam, Coach Net or AAA and pay them thousands, but it doesn't mean they'll have a spare that will fit or be able to get you one for two or three days.

To me, the least likely person to need a spare is someone who is retired and can afford to sit around if a spare has to be ordered. Anyone who is still working and needs to get to where they're going in a timely manner or home in a timely manner are the ones that can't afford to get stuck.

My recommendation to anyone who thinks that a roadside service can get them a tire in an emergency is to call around some day while you're at home and see how fast you can locate a tire locally that fits your coach.

It's a personal choice and a comfort level issue if you decide to carry a spare.
I agree having a spare available is a real asset, that's why I am looking at the Simpson Tire Mount. It appears to provide a very good alternative to carrying a spare tire and not take up valuable storage space. I was hoping to hear from someone who is using the Simpson Tire Mount to get their thoughts on how it works for them.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Thousands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

Don, I see your point as why to carry one, but I read threads on here about roadside service's and flat tires on RV'S and I have never read one to where they had to sit for days and I doubt it is going to cost thousands of dollars for a tire repair or replace. Most everyone that has posted on here with tire problems that I have read had a good experence and was on their way, not saying that ther is bad one's I missed. Again, like everything ........to each thier own.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #51
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"adonh"......On page two of this post, I posted about our friends that live in Simi Valley who had a blowout on the Grapevine.......

"Great example of getting stuck without a spare occurred last weekend. A friend with a Monaco Knight had a front tire blowout on the Grapevine on Sunday afternoon. No one had his size tire in stock. He sat in a parking lot until one was located and delivered Monday evening."

The part about thousands was more of a sarcastic response to another poster stating he didn't care what it cost. But, you could easily get stuck with a tow, forced to buy a used tire that doesn't fit until a tire that matches is found. That could easily run over a $1000.00.

For me....I'll have a spare ready to go. For others, they can make their own choice, no big deal, but I find it naļve to think you'll whip out the credit card and roadside service card and beyond your way like nothing happened.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Had a blowout on my dinky little enclosed trailer over a holiday weekend a couple years ago in Montana. We had a spare but couldn't find a replacement for 500 miles so we drove with no spare.

That's just a little 15" trailer tire , let alone a match to one on my motorhome tires. I've also had numerous blowouts on my race car trailer and one on my dually pickup.

Boy Scout's Motto seems to apply here.

I'll be buying a spare and find somewhere to haul it.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Had a blowout on my dinky little enclosed trailer over a holiday weekend a couple years ago in Montana. We had a spare but couldn't find a replacement for 500 miles so we drove with no spare.

That's just a little 15" trailer tire , let alone a match to one on my motorhome tires. I've also had numerous blowouts on my race car trailer and one on my dually pickup.

Boy Scout's Motto seems to apply here.

I'll be buying a spare and find somewhere to haul it.
You're talking my language now which is why I started the thread in the first place. I always want to be my own first and best option when in a jam and come prepared for whatever misfortune befalls me.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
I represent one who parked at the side of the road for 3 days after a blowout near Sparks, Nevada waiting for a Greyhound bus from Las Vegas to bring a tire. The only good thing was the tire shop who mounted the tire was only a block away from where I was forced to camp. deSanford PS Nothing to do in Sparks, Nevada 25 years ago.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #55

I was camped with some good friends this weekend who had a horrible experience with a flat tire and Good Sam's. They arrived at their campsite and noticed that one of their rear tires was completely flat on their DP. No blowout, just flat. They called GS and GS was going to dispatch a truck but wanted to know if the tire was flat or if they needed a tire. Of course, they didn't know, nothing appeared to be wrong with the tire upon examination. This was on Friday. On Saturday, GS left them a voicemail to "check with the campground office, they have an air compressor" and cancelled their call. Yeah, the campground office had this little dinky compressor. So, then we decided to try and air up the tire using the compressor on the DP and an air hose. I found a small hole in the tread of the tire. So, GS was called again. This time they dispatched a truck. The service guy arrived and removed the tire and found inside the tire a split about 3 inches long, so the tire could not be repaired. Another call to GS and they refused service. They said it was more than one call for the same incident and should have told GS they needed a new tire. They ended up having to find their own replacement tire and paying the same service provider for another run and install. I think they'll definitely be carrying a spare now and I'm seriously considering it.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #56

Nor'easters Club
topdownman,
If I were your good friends, I'd seriously consider Coach-Net for their next roadside service provider. Never had an issue like that with them.

DeSanford,
I too, got stranded 50 miles from anywhere with no spare. I could get a steel wheel, but not a tire. So I completely lost an entire weekend sitting in a dusty tow yard on a jack with Genny running.

Don,
The previously mentioned incident coast me $1300 for tire, wheel and tow, so, as you know, $1000 is not impossible in fact, it's likely.

But no matter what if you keep the shiny side up when it happens, then it's all good no matter.

Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote