Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I won't carry a spare due to the weight for the first thing and space for the second, If I need tire service...... I call Good sam, that is what I pay them for, and as far as the cost of the tire while on the road...... that's vacation and the fund will pay for it. How many folks can and will be honest as to how long they have hauled a spare around and for how many year's and not used it?
I think the evidence is mounting - you need to carry a spare!
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
On my current MH I have a Traeger BBQ grill mounted where the spare tire holder would go. From my last two "tow" needs the Good Sam Insurance on all of my vehicles has road service for $2.00 per vehicle every 6 months ($4.00 per year). NEVER had any problem with the service. During our real HOT spell (which is still going on) my Mini Cooper blew a HOT radiator hose. Called Good Sam (the insurance comp.) and they called a tow service who towed the Mini back to my favorite service garage near my house (26 miles) NO problem or charge. deSanford PS I don't get a commission for this post.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post

Yes, but the question is where. The Simpson Tire Mount is an option. I also saw a post a few weeks ago about someone building their own mounted spare tire carrier between the frame underneath that was lowered and raised by a a small cable hoist. It looked good and the OP provided details on how to construct it. I just can't find that thread.

Here is another thread about a similar method of carrying an unmounted spare between the frame.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/spar...-123494-3.html
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
.... saw a post a few weeks ago about someone building their own mounted spare tire carrier between the frame underneath that was lowered and raised by a a small cable hoist. It looked good and the OP provided details on how to construct it. I just can't find that thread.
I found the thread, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/spar...er-160677.html
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Good maintenance and roll.....

Quote:
I knew when I posted that it bring out all the bad stories, I do my own maintenance from bumper to bumper and do the best I can, (wrenched all my life) I am more worried about blowing a hose or just engine problems that my tires. I don't push old tires on my Coach. When I bought it it had 29,000 miles on it, the tires (Michelin's) looked brand new, now even the slightest sign of wear, cracking, nothing.......Brand new Michelin's went on, first thing. I am not saying new tires won't have problems as everything does, but I think the good stories about thousands of miles (I used to drive over the road truck) will out wiegh the bad stories by a long shot. I still will not spare the room for a spare and even after a roadside wait more than likely still won't, just part of the trip. I have sat along the road in a dark parking lot camped out with a crank snapped in two in the engine air compressor, Once my head stopped spinning I got on the phone located a Cummins dealer, they had the parts, 4 am got in the toad and went a got them and by noon the next day we were going down the road on vacation. Stuff happens, sometimes a pleasant experience , other times not so pleasant. I just try and make the best of things, but I can't carry spares for everything for my Coach.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #62
Community Administrator

There in lies the reason that some like chocolate and some like vanilla. I carry an unmounted spare. I've had two tire mishaps , one was in a remote section of the Cassiar Hwy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Where do you carry yours Cliff? I have a spare in my shop and thought about it a lot ,but just never did stow it or find the room. I logged just under 600,000 miles when I drove over the road and knock on wood, I never had a tire problem.My day(I hope not)might be coming......
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, each to his own. As for me, my time's more important to me than the ego boost from being able to say "GS took care of it".

Yeah, I have roadside assistance, but I'll do everything in my power (within reason) to get going ASAP. I just don't WANT to sit around waiting!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
As someone posted here"call your local tire shop and see if they have a replacement" , I did today........and they did.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #66
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Where do you carry yours Cliff? I have a spare in my shop and thought about it a lot ,but just never did stow it or find the room. I logged just under 600,000 miles when I drove over the road and knock on wood, I never had a tire problem.
I have a rear pass through basement with a shelf in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-557520359.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	45372

That's. 235/80 R 22.5"

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #67

Quote:
You're talking my language now which is why I started the thread in the first place. I always want to be my own first and best option when in a jam and come prepared for whatever misfortune befalls me.
Try the Simpson Tire Mount, you can see at rvtiremount.com
jwhinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I represent one who parked at the side of the road for 3 days after a blowout near Sparks, Nevada waiting for a Greyhound bus from Las Vegas to bring a tire. The only good thing was the tire shop who mounted the tire was only a block away from where I was forced to camp. deSanford PS Nothing to do in Sparks, Nevada 25 years ago.
Try the Simpson Tire Mount, you can see it at rvtiremount.com
jwhinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
jwhinde I once made my own tire mount on a "Suncrest" MH 35 years ago and it looked real good behind that MH. These days I have a Traeger BBQ grill mounted back there. So it is GS at $4.00 a year for me. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote