RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The only blow outs I have had(2) in over 58 years of driving and 40 years of owning a RV of some type.

Both were with Michelin XRV's. And I buy anything but Michelin's now.

My present 275/70/22.5 G670's are now 7 years 7 months old. They have a little rivering on all 6. But it doesn't cause any kind of problem.
And the rivering is not anywhere close to the ware marks on any of them.

They look good for another 2 1/2 years yet before I will be replacing them. No cracks at all yet, unlike the first 4 years the Michelin's did.
I replaced our OEM Michelins (made in Spain) after 8+ years and thousands of miles on the fronts with them overloaded. The fronts needed 125 psi for the weight carried and I ran them for years at 100 to 110. After the axle change Michelin issued us a letter on their letterhead allowing the tires to be rated for the 125 psi but at the max wheel pressure of 120 psi. Michelin thought enough of their design to put it in writing that they could be run/rated that way.
I don't know of any other brand of tire that would do that, especially in writing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Brian.....I'm on my third set of tires on the front end. Sidewall knot (tread separation) at 20000. Rivering/thumping and outer edge wear on the left front after another 20000. Two alignments and spin balancing on both fronts, plus I ran the air 5 psi over weight. This was with the GoodYears.

I replaced the rears at 44000 and they were developing at lot of odd wear. I wasn't mad enough at GoodYear then to not buy anymore and put four more G670's on the rear, but this time I put on Centramatic Balancers. They have 11000 now and look good.

The second set of front tires went bad after I did the rears and that was the last straw. No more GoodYears for me. I'm very willing to spend money on my coach, but I don't subscribe to the most expensive tires being the best. I went with Hankooks on the front end. So far, after about 10000 miles, they look great, but so did the GoodYears at 10000. As for ride and handling, I think they handle the same and ride noticeably smoother than the GoodYears. I also went with balancing beads for the first time. The Hankooks were $954.00 OTD for two.

Just my two cents.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #17

Here we go again. There is no reason for your tires to river other than they are GY's. If you do a search on the subject there is one common thread in the posts. The problem is cured by changing to another brand. The list of those brands is endless: Toyo, Michelin, Hankook,Bridgestone and even Chinese tires. Do not roate them. Throw them away before you have a blow out. The riverinbg on ours did not show up until about 25,000 miles and 3000 miles later it was like someone took a machine to the edges and removed half the rubber. To make matters worse GY blamed everything except aliens for the problem. Ironic that a tire supposedly made for RV's does not work!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I wonder if the rivering is caused by ride height bags not having enough air.
The "rivering" is a known problem with GoodYear tires although they won't admit it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh
Here we go again. There is no reason for your tires to river other than they are GY's. If you do a search on the subject there is one common thread in the posts. The problem is cured by changing to another brand. The list of those brands is endless: Toyo, Michelin, Hankook,Bridgestone and even Chinese tires. Do not roate them. Throw them away before you have a blow out. The riverinbg on ours did not show up until about 25,000 miles and 3000 miles later it was like someone took a machine to the edges and removed half the rubber. To make matters worse GY blamed everything except aliens for the problem. Ironic that a tire supposedly made for RV's does not work!
The really sad thing about this "Rivering" issue is that Goodyear has a proven tire design in their product catalog with no Rivering problem. The OEM tire on my coach was the Goodyear Marathon LHS 295/80R22.5. I replaced them at 7 years and 68,000 miles due to age. They still looked great with plenty of tread depth and no cracks in the sidewall. They were made in Germany. They still show up in the catalog but there is no available inventory.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I even sent them an email discussing the issue and the impact of many people now refusing to buy their tires. You guessed it, no response. Their arrogance is just like all the other big manufacturers, they'll just go about business until business drops off and then cry about how they can't understand why things went bad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I wonder if the rivering is caused by ride height bags not having enough air. If the rv is waddling down the highway it could be scuffing the tire in the tilts. Just thinking here. I have 12k miles and no signs at all of problems. However I spent a lot of time figuring out that my rv was almost an inch to low. Which caused it to wander and waddle. This is not my first rv and I drove a dp before buying this one. This one surprised me at how poor it traveled down the road. Previous rv's had air bags installed and timbrens as well as new shocks. This one took some effort but it corners like a go cart now and handles cross winds and traffic like a dream.

Watching the issue described for several years just does not add up. Yes I have measured four corner weights and I am very close to max limits with my tank. I am running the suggested pressure based on those.
My '12 HR Ambassador 36 initially wandered like a mad dog. Had a Josam alignment —(they shimmed up the axle to change the caster?), and a ride height adjustment. It drives much better —only wanders like a drunk dog now, but there is evidence the tires scuff the wheel wells on turns. Brought this to the attention of the dealer, they rechecked the ride height and said Monaco recommended trimming the edge of the wheel wells. So they trimmed the wheel wells and that appears to have taken care of the scuffing. Can't imagine Ford or GM trimming wheel wells.
Still don't think it drives like it should and have wondered from the get-go if the air bags are under inflated(ride height to low). At travel height the front air bags lean in toward the tires instead of being perpendicular to the H-frame. So even if the static ride height is correct, when moving down the road with air bags that are not compressing evenly around their circumference the coach may be exceeding ride height parameters and inducing waddle and wander.
Was your coach an inch lower than Monaco spec or did you determine another number for a proper ride height?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
AJ my coach was lower than specs. The bags needed more air. Made a very dramatic difference. However, adding sway bars made the handling the way it should be. My rv is just so heavy with four slides it really should have been a tag and the next year they did so. If you are muddling around why not go ahead and increase the height for a few miles. Engineers design things. Technicians make them work.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #23

My thoughts. My first set were Goodyears. They came with the coach, a 2003 Dipl. They rivered badly. I went to an FMCA rally and spoke with a Goodyear rep. He suggested alot of things that have been mentioned here. Alignment was not a prob. I checked.
I bought a set of G670's . They began to river so I rotated them. I forget the milege at the time. They began to river again and I was having them rotated again when the the guy doing the work indicated that I should get new tires. My coach is 10 years old with 78000 miles so the years and miles traveled are up for speculation on what you believe the age of tires should be when replaced. I would preferred to have changed tires due to age not because there were problems with the tire.
My point is that I feel I gave the Goodyears an honest try. They didn't work and I won't buy them again much as I would any other item that had the same wear history.
I don't know if any one tire brand already mentioned is better than another. I just know, Goodyear won't be in that selection process. I chose Michelin in August because the FMCA had a great deal on them and I was in a state with no sales tax. I'm sure that there are stories of Michelin owners with problems. My own experiences and personal talks while traveling, along with all the reading I've done helped with my choice.
Hopefully they will wear better the the Goodyears.
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Same problem with rivering on GY tires. Started at about 20k miles. Have 25 on MH now and bad enough that its causing a front end vibration.

Took to tire shop today - still too much tread left to abandon the tires, so I'm having the fronts rotated to the rear and adding Counteract balancing beads to all tires. Hope this helps prolong the tires. If I can get another 25k out of these with this practice, I should just about age them out.

Mark

Tags
tires