Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

GPS advice

Hi, looking for advice as to the best GPS to purchase for use with our coach. The last GPS we tried to use was fairly difficult to use and even though set for RV , it sent us on some pretty bad routes . We are traveling FT.
Would sure appreciate some help.
Thanks Patrick and Cheryl
Monaco Camelot
Pulling Jeep Liberty
CherylandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #2

I'm not sure there is an answer .
We have a Garmin 760 RV that I thought was finally a really good GPS .
Well it actually did very well until I did the latest up date .
Now I am not so sure , we were out west ( Yuma ) heading home to
Tex ( Dallas area ) and for the longest it kept trying to turn us around
and head us west again , finally turned it off , we knew the way home .
With that said this has been a good GPS for us .

I don't believe you can trust any of them completely but they can be
very good helping get in the correct lane .
I find that feature ( correct lane ) perhaps the single best feature .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Combination of Google maps, copilot (available google play or app store) and a newly acquired rand Mcnally overdryve 7, though it is the trucker version, it seems to be working great so far. I like the rand interface.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

We use the Garmin 770 and it works just fine. Nice thing about the 770 is you don’t need a computer to update it, just access to WiFi.

I don’t trust google maps for directions anymore since he can’t find my house on a main road...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

I solely use google maps.... it's easy, simple, on my phone in my hand, and can also 'talk' to me if I really need it to, though that's infrequent. GPS units are just too 'stiff' for me, I don't like the steps required to do simple things on them, and I don't it telling me every second of every mile 'where' I'm driving.

but, that's just me.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We use the Garmin 770 and it works just fine. Nice thing about the 770 is you don’t need a computer to update it, just access to WiFi.

I don’t trust google maps for directions anymore since he can’t find my house on a main road...
We've had good luck with the Garmin 770 as well, though it sometimes wants to take us on routes that I can't explain. My wife was just experimenting with it on a trip to a state park 50 miles away, and it wanted to take her on an out of the way loop that would have added 10 miles and would have routed her through a city with several traffic lights. We finally decided there's a bridge on the route we use that is technically rated for less than we have in the GPS as the weight of our rig. That reminds me to go check the GPS to see what our vehicle specs say it weighs.

Nothing's going to be perfect. GPSs are useful, but do your due diligence before trusting it completely.

On another note, her first GPS was a Camping World unit. It recommended some really strange routes before it finally emitted a loud, piercing squeal and fried itself. I was actually glad to see it die.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
YC1

The beauty of my rand mcnally units is being able to check poi's along the way quickly. Need fuel? Just put the search in for that in a couple of key strokes. Same for campgrounds, rest stops, walmarts, etc.

The information will pop up with phone numbers, distance to, exit numbers.

My biggest gripe with the current one is that I have to tilt it while using polarized lens glasses. That is just dumb.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Regularly updated Garmin 760's for us...
in rv, in jeep with backup camera option, and on top the terrible Ford gps in wife's car.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

I did not know the 770 didn't need a computer to up date , that is
a handy feature .

Many of the weird things we attribute to our GPS is because of the settings
we are using as EdInArk mentioned above .

I've heard of several instances where the weight and height was set
to high and it caused annoying routing .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Use a Garmin but check routing on a map, since it sometimes wants to route me where I don’t want to go.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't place all of your trust and faith in any GPS. While they are nice they are also notoriously known for taking you places you shouldn't go or via avenues which are not conducive with your rig...even if they are programmed for a specific type/size of vehicle. We know first hand. Tossed ours after too many incidents and the inability to get the mfr to rectify updating issues.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by. He said his truck wouldn't even fit on the road the GPS was sending us and gave us directions to get back to a major road. Yes, I did contact Garmin and notified them of the problem. Lessons learned!! Don't trust your GPS as your only source to get you there!! We use the GPS as a guide, then check the maps (old school) and follow the directions given on the campgrounds website.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #13

Sounds like none of them have all the answers!
We appreciate all the information
Lot to think about. I have been using the Good Sam one and then recheck it aginst Google maps. It's all such a pain, I just detest getting sent on narrow gravel roads...ugh
CherylandPat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, gps