Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
I got a 7720 in June and ran it about 10k to Alaska and back since. It includes lifetime maps covering ALL of North America, unlike the 1 yr old Garmin Nuvi in our car that was worthless in Canada and Alaska. I like it much better than the Garmin Nuvi, and it replaced the original Alpine in the mh that was obsolete the day the mh left the factory. The 7720 routing is driven by the "avoids" that are selected, like toll ways, ferries, dirt roads, etc. (dirt roads are sometimes just a driveway, etc ...something off the numbered road that in reality may or may not be paved). After I canceled all the "avoids" but the u-turns, routing is as good or better than others I have used. Mine does excellent lane advisement for exits. All you have to do for software and map updates is connect it to your computer and internet. I NEVER use ANY GPS right out of the box w/o connecting for updates first ...they all need updates! Sometimes I find that a feature I searched the menus for is actually available with one click from the main screen ...as with any, there is a learning curve. I really do like the big screen. As mentioned, sunglasses can cause the screen to be unreadable, but that is also true of my Garmins both past and present. Although there is a learning curve with any new GPS, we had some non-GPS users on our Alaska caravan who also got a 7720 who after initial orientation also grew to love it, and were soon showing me things I had not discovered!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I got a 7720 in June and ran it about 10k to Alaska and back since. It includes lifetime maps covering ALL of North America, unlike the 1 yr old Garmin Nuvi in our car that was worthless in Canada and Alaska. I like it much better than the Garmin Nuvi, and it replaced the original Alpine in the mh that was obsolete the day the mh left the factory. The 7720 routing is driven by the "avoids" that are selected, like toll ways, ferries, dirt roads, etc. (dirt roads are sometimes just a driveway, etc ...something off the numbered road that in reality may or may not be paved). After I canceled all the "avoids" but the u-turns, routing is as good or better than others I have used. Mine does excellent lane advisement for exits. All you have to do for software and map updates is connect it to your computer and internet. I NEVER use ANY GPS right out of the box w/o connecting for updates first ...they all need updates! Sometimes I find that a feature I searched the menus for is actually available with one click from the main screen ...as with any, there is a learning curve. I really do like the big screen. As mentioned, sunglasses can cause the screen to be unreadable, but that is also true of my Garmins both past and present. Although there is a learning curve with any new GPS, we had some non-GPS users on our Alaska caravan who also got a 7720 who after initial orientation also grew to love it, and were soon showing me things I had not discovered!
2x on the 7720
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
x3 on the 7720. Just completed a 1500 mile trip with 7 stops and it was near perfect. Only mistake was saying destination on left when it was on the right (one time). Since the trip I have updated to the new software which added several great improvements and features. Doing MPG calculations in the fuel log was a feature I requested that they added. I believe in time this GPS will really improve due to the Tell Rand feature which allows users to easilly send corrections or suggestions. No GPS is perfect but so far I love the 7720.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I purchased an RVND 7720 for about $340.00 about a year ago and am very unhappy with it. It would take too long to go into all the things I dislike about it, but the primary ones are 1.) you cant see the screen if you have polarized sunglasses on at the time 2.) You cant trust the GPS to give you good routing (some of the directions that it gives you are simply laughable, doubling the miles for no apparent reason, the route that it gives (supposedly for your RV size and length) is no better than one that you pick yourself. 3.) It says that it does lane advisement for off ramps and road changes, which it does not do (my small car Garmin unit does lane advisement perfectly). I also have a 7 or 8 year old 7" Garmin GPS which did not work when I bought the coach and found that I could update with new maps and software free, and that Garmin, a regular car RV is much better. It can be viewed and routing is better. I also have a car style Garmin for the DW to play with while underway and anticipate some issues, and I find it is more reliable than the Rand McNally. If I could send the Rand McNally back, I definitely would. Look at Amazon and read through the customer reviews of the GPS and you will find lots of unhappy customers. Now, I have heard that they have updated the software and operating system this summer and I have not yet called the company to figure out how to do that, but the one that I bought this time last year is definitely not worth the investment.... You have to do all the research yourself upfront to ensure that this thing does not route you through some terrible route, so it is largely worthless. My procedure is to program in the same destination in all three units. However, I then look at my probable route on Google maps or Apple's iphone mapper and lay it all out there and write down the route and turns. I then consult my hard copy version of the Rand McNally Truckers road atlas which lists all low bridges or overpasses less than 13'6" to see if I have anything in my route that is a problem, before I begin my journey. Often, in addition, I then literally look at anything complicated or complex in the route (the RV or state park where I am ending the day) on Google maps (which I think is fantastic) and go to satellite view, and literally look at the intersection in zoomed satellite view so I can see what I am going to encounter before I get there. This is invaluable!! Also, I just learned about 6 months ago how to move the little man icon on the zoom slider and put him on one of the blue roads that appears on the map to literally see a ground view of the turn (360 degree views from the Google car that took the pictcures) , truck stop entrance. or intersection. That is fantastic. If anyone does not use this feature, let me know and I will explain it.
Back to the Rand McNally GPS, I will try updating the unit and maps this fall, but what was in the unit when I bought it a year ago was completely worthless, in my opinion.... worse than nothing at all, if you can't depend on it !!!
I also have the 7720 and have always updated it before a trip and still it does not get me to a location without problems. I have no trust in it.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I think it's all in what you are used to and your expectations....

Have had Garmin's for YEARS - well, since the 90's
the first one I bought was a streetpilot 2600 series in COLOR for about $1200 on sale... and have had about 4 of them since...

My favorite is still the Nuvi 5000 that just won't die !!! has lifetime maps and updates. Although they probably won't update the software on that old a unit anymore, it really doesn't need anything other than map updates...

Garmin's just WORK and are basically intuitive with difficult command selections like "where to?"

While all my recent cars have had nav built in, Ford's, Audi's, VW, Honda's... somehow the garmin ends up back on the dash !

Have tried and tested others that my friends have and they just don't compare
Even copilot on the tablets didn't float my boat - but that's why they offer different colors of cars, so we can get what WE each like ...
Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm another Rand 7720 owner who would'nt recomend it.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #21

Anyone know of a rv or truck app that will show low bridges/tunnels etc?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to check out Allstays app for android and iphone. Although it is mainly for finding campgrounds it does list a lot of low clearance bridges and tunnels.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcsurf1 View Post
Anyone know of a rv or truck app that will show low bridges/tunnels etc?
I see that Low Clearance GPS Data now has iOS and Android apps available.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #24

Howdy!

We use Co-Pilot live app on our smart phones and tablet. It has a RV setting that can be set up to 13'. If you need more than that you can get the truckers app. Co-Pilot has worked as our go to GPS. We completed a trip to the Canadian maritimes this summer (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland). Co-pilot did its job even when we encounter a low bridge we were unsure of because the height was in meters. I much prefer using my Samsung android 10.1" tablet as a GPS. I'm in the camp of no more stand alone GPS, smartphones and tablet do so much more for the money.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #25

The new Garmin RV unit is slick. I would not be without it.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I then consult my hard copy version of the Rand McNally Truckers road atlas which lists all low bridges or overpasses less than 13'6" to see if I have anything in my route that is a problem, before I begin my journey.
I see this comment in many places. While the list in the motor carrier's atlas is very good, it does NOT list ALL low clearances! It ONLY lists those that are on the designated trucking routes (those highlighted in orange on the printed maps.) Once you veer off of one of those roads, perhaps to take a scenic route, or to get off the highway to your ultimate destination, you're on your own. Any low clearances on these lesser routes are not listed.

There are also trucker web sites out there that list low clearances, and GPS POI files as well. Near as I can tell, these all list the same data. They are valuable tools, but don't ever be lulled into a false sense of security thinking that they list ALL low clearances. They don't! I've seen too many places where I would've had to turn around if I wasn't in my daily driver, or did have to turn around because I was in the MH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I see that Low Clearance GPS Data now has iOS and Android apps available.
This is the same data as above, and only lists the low clearances on the major trucking routes. Can be a valuable resource, but don't bet your rig's roof on it being complete.

Quote:
You have to do all the research yourself upfront to ensure that this thing does not route you through some terrible route, so it is largely worthless. My procedure is to program in the same destination in all three units. However, I then look at my probable route on Google maps or Apple's iphone mapper and lay it all out there and write down the route and turns. I then consult my hard copy version of the Rand McNally Truckers road atlas which lists all low bridges or overpasses less than 13'6" to see if I have anything in my route that is a problem, before I begin my journey. Often, in addition, I then literally look at anything complicated or complex in the route (the RV or state park where I am ending the day) on Google maps (which I think is fantastic) and go to satellite view, and literally look at the intersection in zoomed satellite view so I can see what I am going to encounter before I get there. This is invaluable!! Also, I just learned about 6 months ago how to move the little man icon on the zoom slider and put him on one of the blue roads that appears on the map to literally see a ground view of the turn (360 degree views from the Google car that took the pictcures) , truck stop entrance. or intersection.
This is all very good advice, and is similar to what I do. I use the GPS primarily to keep me on my planned route. I don't use it to plan the actual route.

I have an older Garmin Street Pilot 7200 (7" screen) which I love. But even it comes up with some "interesting" routes some time. For example, if I tell it to take me from Buffalo New York to Toronto Ontario, it's about 100 miles and two hours. But if I ask it to route the opposite direction, it's over 400 miles and 7 hours! For some reason, it decides that both the fastest and shortest routes are all the way around Lake Ontario the long way. It simply doesn't want to take any of the Buffalo area bridges from Canada to US, it believes that taking the bridge at 1000 Islands is better.

When I plan a route, I start with Garmin's MapSource application. This runs on a PC, using the same data that's in the GPS unit. I can plan my route on there, and make sure it's taking the roads I want it to take. If there is a segment of the route that's on an inappropriate road, I can pick up the route, drag it, and drop it on the road I want to take. It's so much easier and faster to do this with a mouse on the PC rather than on the small, slow, and cumbersome GPS touch screen.

When I have a route that looks good, MapSource has a menu option to "View in Google Earth." It will launch Google Earth, load the waypoints and routes from MapSource, and zoom into the same area as was shown in MapSource. It makes it easy to look at the overhead satellite views of the roads, lets you tilt the view and get a 3D impression of what kind of terrain and slopes are involved, and also lets you see the 360 degree street level views of complicated turns. Google Earth is basically a super-duper version of Google Maps.

With the ability to automatically load your MapSource destinations and routes into Google Earth, it makes it very easy to properly place your destination way points. I've been to many places in the back country (especially campgrounds) where the GPS places the destination far from the actual location. By switching to Google Earth, I can see where it placed the way point, and usually see the actual destination (campgrounds and fair grounds are pretty easy to spot in the overhead shots) and move the destination waypoint so it's exactly on the desired location. Makes it much less stressful to find the signs when you are getting near the location.

After I have the locations and routes planned out on the PC using MapSource, and I've done all of my verifications, I then download the data into the GPS using a USB cable. The GPS then faithfully takes me along that route. One important detail is to make sure that automatic route recalculation is turned OFF. If I deviate from the route, perhaps to pull off the road to get fuel or take a rest stop, it will throw away my carefully planned route, and recalculate a new route using its potentially flawed logic. So I make sure it won't do that.

I do all of this because while GPS units are smart, and will usually get you where you want to go, they don't necessarily take the route that you think is best. And if you're in an RV, you likely have different route preferences than you can program into the RV, and staying on your desired route is more important than when in a regular car.

ALL GPS units will come up with some screwy routes now and then. It's important to verify the planned route and decide if it works for you. I find it much easier to do this on a PC. For this to work, you need a GPS that is compatible with a corresponding PC application. For the longest time, Garmin's PC application has been MapSource, but it appears that they have dropped support for MapSource, and the newer units are not compatible with it.

Garmin has a new PC application called BaseCamp. I'm only now starting to play with it, and I haven't figured out all of it's features. I also don't know which units are or are not compatible with BaseCamp. But I do know that when it comes time to get a new GPS (I'd like to have one that does the lane assist and some of the other newer features) it would be vitally important that it allows me to plan my routes on the PC and download them to the unit. In my mind, it's the only way to go!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
There is one bridge that is fine for height in Michigan BUT the problem is it's also part of a hairpin turn. Every so often there are trucks that are routed that way and then all lanes are shut down while they clear it out. Even more rare is an RV being stuck but it does happen.
All GPS's routes everyone on that section but truckers that happen to be in the know or happen to mention they were going that way and got warned then take the road that goes around it, which I think it adds all of 1/2 mile to the route.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I use the iPad version of the Rand 7720 and find that it does a good job. I also run a TomTom that is integrated into our Sony radio that came on the new coach. Most of the time the two GPS systems agree with one another. Occasionally not, in which case I tend to trust the Rand better because, unlike the TomTom, the Rand incorporates bridge height into the routing when engaged in "RV mode," and I'd rather take 10minutes longer to get to my final destination than decorate a low bridge with my A/C units.

:-)
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps