RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #1

Good evening,
While in Florida a couple of weeks ago noticed a slight leak in the gray tank outlet pipe right where it connects to the tank.
Does anyone know how the pipe connects to the tank? From the looks of it there is a bigger diameter piece on the end of the outlet pipe that fits in the tank opening. It looks like all kind of sealant was put on the pipe before it was put in the tank opening and then a large clamp placed around the tank opening which closed down around the pipe.
Seems like the pipe would screw in or something but before I go messing around with it I would like to know if its threaded in or just sealed in place.
If anyone knows I could use the information. If not I will call HR. Thanks
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #2

Good evening,
While in Florida a couple of weeks ago noticed a slight leak in the gray tank outlet pipe right where it connects to the tank.
Does anyone know how the pipe connects to the tank? From the looks of it there is a bigger diameter piece on the end of the outlet pipe that fits in the tank opening. It looks like all kind of sealant was put on the pipe before it was put in the tank opening and then a large clamp placed around the tank opening which closed down around the pipe.
Seems like the pipe would screw in or something but before I go messing around with it I would like to know if its threaded in or just sealed in place.
If anyone knows I could use the information. If not I will call HR. Thanks
Letsgoagain
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Hello Letsgoagain, I have the same problem in my 2005 Cayman. I've posted the same question and no results. How did you handle your leak and were you able to determine how the bigger diameter piece fits into the tank, thread/plastic weld or ?? Any help would be appreciated.

John
ejberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I`ve never seen one threaded, it is probably a slip joint, with the ABS pipe glued & then clamped -- The tank is to thin to cut a thread -- You may be able to coat the seam with ABS glue, that you can get at any home improvement store -- Bill Willard
William Willard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #5

In most cases it is a straight piece of pipe with sealer around it and pressed in, then a clamp placed around it to hold in place.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Letsgoagain did you get your repairs made on your water leak? I just did mine on my 2001 Dip . Let me know.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Letsgoagain and ejberry
On my 2001 Dip, there is a 3 inch to 1 1/2 adapter that slides up in the gray tank, I had to replace the hole thing because of a broken line, I cleaned it up real good and siliconed it, Don't use abs glue up in the tank, If you ever need to get it out . If you don't have anything broken, it will be easy, unbolt it at the valve, loosen the clamp and pull it out of the tank , I replaced the valve seals while it was apart. I let it dry overnight. Hope this helps. I also had to do the BLACK tank
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

Thanks to you all. I think I'll go with Lued's suggestion. Lued thanks for the picture, that clears up the mystery of thread v. weld. That is the part. There is a clamp and pipe dope in the fitting.
ejberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #9

Blk & Gry Water Fitting.pdfThe gray water to outline reducer had the manufacture's name and part number as well as a telephone number. I contacted them to ascertain where I could find the part and they are sending me a replacement via UPS, no charge. They also provided me with their part drawing. Great customer service.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Very cool, I looked on mine no numbers that were good.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #11

Lued, I'm having trouble getting the reducer out to of the gray side. I tried to the existing pipe as leverage but that easily broke off as it was cracked where the leak was coming from. The reducer looks like it is heavily coated with pipe thread dope (gray in color soft and pliable). I'm thinking of heating it with a hair drier and maybe concocting a dent puller type device to help it out. Any ideas???

John
Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Lued, I got it out by using a hair dryer on the reducer for 10 minutes to soften up the pipe thread compound. Then I took a pipe wrench and opened it up as far as it would go and inserted the top of the wrench inside through the 1 1/2 in opening where the outline broke off. I used it like a dent puller and it came right out. Oh, yah.....great day!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Way to go, I made a home made puller that i discarded, on my black tank I used a hacksaw blade cutting the adapter in side vertically, finally It came out.