Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #1

Greasing Calipers...

I was going to say "greasing the brakes" but that didn't sound right.....

The manual for our coach explains how to grease the calipers and the slack adjusters. Their explanation isn't what I would call detailed or clear. They say to first crank the slack adjuster tight to move the inside pad to the rotor.
Then hold your finger over the "poppet"?? and grease one side then the other or something like that and then move the pad out to push out the grease and then readjust the slack adjuster.....

I have always done all the servicing on my previous coaches and I would like to continue with our Monaco as well. None of the others had disk brakes and they were manual slack adjusters.

Has anyone (Mike Canter) done this and can offer a simple explanation????

Thanks, Iver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

Try this and see if it helps. They talk about poppets. Make sure you use the specified grease. On brakes a lot of times they specify a clay based grease vice a soap based grease because of the high temps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brake Caliper Lube.pdf (243.8 KB, 323 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, did they recommend soap based grease before todays high temp grease came about? Would we still have to use soap based today?? That grease is hard to find and I would need another grease gun.. What do you use??

Dave
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #4

The manual still requires it for your tag slack adjusters. I do agree that a Mobil 1 synthetic grease should be able to handle anything there. I bought Shell clay based grease from Spruce Aircraft Supply and yes I do have a separate grease gun for it. One problem is that the soap based grease is not compatible and will not mix with the clay based grease according to experts at Shell and Mobil. It is a pain. I guess I don't know enough about the design of those brakes to be able to make a decision like that so I stayed with what was recommended. I have heard the arguments from both sides but again what do the people that say it is OK to use a soap based grease really know about greases or the brake design. I have three different grease guns for my Sig. One pneumatic gun with Mobil 1 synthetic for chassis and driveshaft, one with a special coupling grease for my PTO off the transmission since it does not have a auto lube for the coupler, and the one for clay based grease the tag slack adjusters.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a good link to arvin meritor. This link is to a PDF that I found using a "drill down" menu from their site. I picked "bus/coach" and "lubrication". https://s3.amazonaws.com/helm-arm-lod/mm1.pdf

This next link is for "literature" where I found the "drill down" menu. Lots of choices here. About Us

Plan on a good rainy, cold day with plenty of time to read.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

Thanks Mike for that file. It does make it quite a bit clearer for me.
Once I do it myself I'm sure it won't be all that difficult.
I'll do some research on the grease first.
Thanks Barlow46 for the link. LOTS of reading there.
Iver.

Tags
calipers