Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hail Damaged Skylight

We dodged a tornado, but the hail got us. I went out just as soon as the rain slowed to check out the Dynasty -- the shower skylight took a direct hit and shattered the 22 year old plastic. I didn't look long as the rain was still coming down, but I did patch the hole with gorilla tape. We also lost a couple clearance lights. I'll get up on top tomorrow and take some measurements so I can order a replacement.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's looking like an awfully active severe storm season this year. Glad you're okay, the skylight can be replaced. More storms on the way overnight and tomorrow for the center of the USA. Stay safe!
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well that sucks Dennis. Keep us abreast where you find a replacement.

Tim
Old 04-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if it's the same size but Zmotorsports recently had one for sale.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
It's looking like an awfully active severe storm season this year. Glad you're okay, the skylight can be replaced. More storms on the way overnight and tomorrow for the center of the USA. Stay safe!
It has! We dodged one tornado about a month ago, it went about 2 miles south of us. We stood in the garage and watched this one coming right for us and were debating whether to hunker down or run for it, when it made almost a 90 degree turn and headed north and around us. It was about 4 miles away when it made the turn.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Well that sucks Dennis. Keep us abreast where you find a replacement.

Tim
I will, it looks like Vito replaced his not too long ago and posted links to the material you need. I spent today working on an insurance claim and finding a contractor. It may take awhile to get the roof replaced given the number of houses damaged in the area yesterday. Sixty three houses south and west of us were damaged or destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tornado 1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	362302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tornado 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	362303  

Name:	Tornado 3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	362304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tornado 4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	362305  

Old 04-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Not sure if it's the same size but Zmotorsports recently had one for sale.
Thanks, I'll contact him to see if he still has it.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I got a replacement here. https://www.icondirect.com/skyli
Old 04-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I went out this evening to look at the skylight and there is water trapped between the inner and outer skylight. I was going to try to get it out by removing the inner skylight and letting it drop into the shower. I removed the metal trim and the screws that hold the inner facia in place. Unfortunately it didn't release the inner skylight, but it did let me see how it goes together.

The inner skylight looks like its sealed to the roof and the outer skylight is on top of the inner skylight and sealed to it. The inner skylight is not like the outer skylight. It's more of a thick vinyl than a rigid polycarbonate. My skylight is 34" on the long side by 16" on the two short sides. That's a measurement to the outside of the flange.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove my patch and vacuum out the water between the skylights. I hate to remove the broken skylight before I have the replacement on hand and I have not seen any flexible skylights like my inner skylight. I'm thinking of trying to reuse it and just replace the outer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8585.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	362309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8589.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	362310  

Name:	IMG_8594.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	362311  
Old 04-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They changed at some point as my inner dome will drop into the room by removing a few screws.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would get the water out ASAP, never know if there is a leak letting the water goes who knows where.

Zmotorsports has some recent posts as to how he installed his. He actually made an aluminum bracket that mounted along the perimeter of his new skylight and put the screws through it, that pulled the skylight down evenly.

Directions call for just putting screws through skylight but needless to say you couldn't put too much pressure on the screws.

I you don't have the ability to weld you could just use strips of AL to accomplish the same thing.

FWIW, I read yesterday of the tornado's and looked on the map where they hit. Looks like you dodged a bullet.

When we build our new house I actually created a same room, 12" concrete thick walls, 8" ceiling, lots of rebar, ain't going no where. Unfortunately my decided to turn it into junk storage, may be time to rethink and get it operational for it's intended purpose. We've had severe weather threats for the last 3 weeks with tornado warning the week before in E TN.

Be safe
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found these folks with a search. They look like a promising source for a replacement. Give them a call with your specifications.
https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvskylights.htm

877-433-4568
"World's Largest Selection of Lexan Skylight Sizes"
EZ Tops World Wide Inc.
Manufacturer of Lexanr Polycarbonate
Skylights & Domes
Ideal for your RV, Camper, Trailer, 5th Wheel,
Baby barn, Shed, Pet window, Treehouse, etc.,
FREE SHIPPING IN MAINLAND USA
"WE RECOMMEND 100% SILICONE FOR USE WITH POLYCARBONATE SKYLIGHTS"

How to measure square & rectangular Lexan RV skylights
(5 sided skylights are at bottom of this webpage.)
We need A,B (The bubble OD) plus C,D (The flange OD) and height of the bubble.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I removed the skylight and the inner was just sealed to the bottom of the outer skylight. Nothing very complicated. I need to find a set — the inner is about 1/8” smaller than the outer all the way around.

Now I need to weatherproof the hole until I get the skylight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2088F80D-7662-42B7-99FC-A6C19CD4C20A.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	362355   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA4168CB-D704-4158-8AC3-0E20F72A6D15.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	362356  

barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #14

Hi Dennis; Sorry to hear about your skylight in the Dynasty. Just checking here as I have a skylight that I bought from Monaco back in 06 for my 2000 Monaco 32' Windsor. I see your dimensions are 16" X34". I did not know Monaco had such a small width on their skylight's, especially a Dynasty. I just pulled the skylight out of the Monaco box and it's dimensions are from flange to flange, 25- 5/8" by 33- 3/4". This is a insulated skylight that has the inner dome. Did not get to install as I sold the 32' Windsor. Anyway, just checking dimensions. I am assuming your skylight is a rectangle and not a neo-angled skylight by the pictures you posted. The skylight on the 32' Windsor was a rectangle where the skylight on my 01 Windsor is a neo-angled skylight. Not 100% sure from the pictures now after taking a second look!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light