Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbeach42 View Post
Just curious if you are going to remove a window to get the new refrig in or is the main door wide enough once you take the doors off the refrig? I am looking at doing the same thing with my Imperial. How wide is your opening where the norcold was? I think I can get around 32 inches when trimming the frame. With the cabinet depth refrig being 24 inches without the doors I think mine will go thru the main door. If not I will have to take the driver's side window out to get it in. I am not about to take the windshield out. I want the Samsung with the ice\water in door but I only see they make on cabinet depth and it is 35.75 inches wide. They make one with French doors and bottom freezer that is 32.1875 inches so might go with that one. Any help or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Good luck with yours!
Sugarbeach42,
New fridge is 26.88 inches deep with doors removed. Door opening is only 26 inches so its going in the drivers side side window in the morning. Two Lowes people and three relatives and myself to lift, tilt on side and hand through window. Going to back Lowes truck close to side of motorhome and work off the truck platform. That should be interesting.
Raw opening Norcold came out of is 33 inches wide. New fridge is 30 inches wide so carpentry work ahead to close in the one side.
Been working last two days on moving electrical, gas line and sealing up roof vent. Waiting to build floor until I get unit inside and can actually look the fridge over to verify some things. Will have to decide which way to install doors once unit is trial fitted as left side hinge will not allow a 90 degree open, right side hinge will allow to fully open complete range but handles will be in hallway about 2 inches.
New fridge is a Frigidaire Gallery, model LGHT1846QF)

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
JAW

Monaco Owners Club
We just completed the installation of our Samsung RF18 and I credit this forum with providing the incentive and information for this project. At the end of last summer our No-Cold was not operating reliably on propane, the ice maker was overflowing and making a mess and neither the freezer nor refrigerator were maintaining proper temperatures. I was going to the replace cooling unit and while researching the success/satisfaction of that process, I came across several threads on installing a residential unit. Based on those discussions we made our choice for the Samsung.

Some have been able to get this unit through the passenger door; however, on our coach the upper portion of the leading (hinged) edge of the door is cut at an angle which required the reefer to come in at a low angle and I was not able to clear the center console and it became obstructed by the upper cabinets. I had used the cardboard that the reefer was shipped in and made a cardboard mockup of the reefer with doors removed. That convinced me that it had to come through a window. I removed the passenger side window over the dining table which gives about a 28 inch clear opening. Fortunately we didn't have the furnace under the reefer so those drawers and the floor between were removed and we just rolled the new unit in place. I have lag screws through the rear lower pan of the reefer (a suggestion from this forum) and it seems to be quite stable after lowering the front legs. I may do something else to ensure the top can't move.

I built a cap for the upper vent which is under the normal cap and blocked the inside with cardboard leaving a 2 inch space and filled that void with spray foam. The lower wall vent has a shallow box over the existing vents. I don't believe I will get any water in the reefer space. This, like many projects, is where you have to use your ingenuity and address problems/issues as they present themselves.

After getting the old unit out, I noticed a severely burnt area in the ceiling near the two pipes that lead up to the vent. I have no idea when this may have occurred but I am glad to be rid of that fire hazard. Total cost for this project was less than the cost of the Amish cooling unit.

There are a lot of good comments and ideas on this forum. Do your homework, think it through and go for it. My special thanks and appreciation to all from whom I have gained information and ideas.
towing 2007 Saturn Vue
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #17

Well the new refrigerator is inside the motorhome. Getting it inside was easier then I thought but I did have a total of 5 guys moving it. Working off of the Lowes truck lift plate made all of the difference.
Window removal was pretty easy, it didn't offer much resistance. Reinstalling it was more involved as we found a little delamination of the wood around the opening from water infiltration. Solved that by a little spray foam for some of the voids we found, a little silicon in strategic spots and some pella window flashing adhesive tape all around the window opening frame between inner and outer wall. Also cleaned up the rubber gasket on the window itself and added a bead of silicon on top of the gasket around the complete perimeter of the window. Reinstall was a little snugger with the tape in place. One thing is sure it's a lot more weather tight now. Once I installed the inner frame and tightened it down some of the silicon squeezed out on the outside which is what I wanted. Tomorrow I will go around the edge of the outside frame and put a thin bead of silicon. Feel a lot better about the soundess of the weather seal now and don't expect any leaks.
New fridge is running, had it down to 42 degrees about an hour after plugging in. At 38.8 now and moved the sensor into the freezer to check its temp.
One other thing I noticed is that when the fridge kicked on and then compressor started is that It's only pulling 1 more amp then when it's not running. Can't remember watt conversion formula but I think it's a pretty low power draw. When the defroster kicks on it will be higher but so far happy.
Now to just finish the install after taking a day of rest.
will post one more time when I finish completely.
Hope some of this helps someone who's contemplating this project as others have helped me with their description and ideas.
Keith
Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
So now all you need to do is to wait to get 'something cold' out of that new frig to toast yourself for a job well-done!

Congrats!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #19

This is a follow up final post to my original.
I started this project on March 9th and I finished it today. Some days I worked 5 or 6 hours on the project and a few others I didn't work on it at all but most days I tried to get something accomplished even if it was just a minor detail.
I must say this was a very challenging project. Biggest problem I had was that nothing was square or true in the original enclosure. Based off of that there was a lot of measuring and remeasuring to get the cabinetry correct. A lot of improvising also. Sometimes I think I sat there and tried to figure something out more than any actual work I got done. Now that I'm finished I'm satisfied that its the best I could do. I think its a pretty good job.
Took the motorhome for a drive to see how the new refrigerator handled the ride and if I had secured it well. I was pleased as it seems very solid. Time will tell.
Can't wait to head out on another trip and try the new fridge. Really looking forward to not dealing with the inconsistent and not so cold Norcold anymore.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #20

Hey Keith Great Job on the Refrig!

Keith,
Sounds like you made it go pretty easy on the install so that is great. I am in the process of doing the same but going with the Samsung. I am going to do some photos and will post them when I am finished.

There are so many Coaches that catch fire due to the refer that I just don't want to take the chance plus I miss the room inside and the big ice bin of the Samsung. I have two at home and even if this one is only 18 cubic ft. in size it is much better than the Norcold.

Did you see on the news last week about the Class A Diesel that caught fire in Florida and the lady and her daughter barely made it out. The police pulled them out just in time. It looked like they were going down the road and it caught fire. Not sure what caused it but wouldn't be surprised if the refer was to blame.

Have a great Spring and enjoy your new refer.

Dan
Sugarbeach42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #21

Jack,

Did you take photos when you did the install of the Samsung in your coach? Your install is like I am preparing to do on my Imperial. Sounds like you did a great job on yours.

Dan
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Keith,
Sounds like you made it go pretty easy on the install so that is great. I am in the process of doing the same but going with the Samsung. I am going to do some photos and will post them when I am finished.

There are so many Coaches that catch fire due to the refer that I just don't want to take the chance plus I miss the room inside and the big ice bin of the Samsung. I have two at home and even if this one is only 18 cubic ft. in size it is much better than the Norcold.

Did you see on the news last week about the Class A Diesel that caught fire in Florida and the lady and her daughter barely made it out. The police pulled them out just in time. It looked like they were going down the road and it caught fire. Not sure what caused it but wouldn't be surprised if the refer was to blame.

Have a great Spring and enjoy your new refer.

Dan
Dan,
I just went out and took some pictures with my phone. Not sure exactly how to post them on here but I will research it a little and see if I can post them later.
I did see that video of the motorhome fire in Florida. Kind of scary. It appeared to me that they were very unsure of how to get out of the motorhome. Anyone that enters my motorhome and is going to be staying any length of time gets instructed on the door and window operation and especially the emergency exit window in the bedroom.
When I removed the Norcold there was a corroded spot in the tubing. Made me wonder how much longer it would have lasted and if it could have caused a fire if it had leaked the gas. I'm very glad to be rid of the Norcold.
I'm sure that you are going to love that Samsung when you get it installed. For all the reasons but especially peace of mind on your safety.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #23

20150413_194714.jpg

Well here is a picture of our new Frigidaire residential refrigerator. I hope!
I did find out I had to resize the original photo as it was way to big pixel wise for the irv2 site.
Not sure though how to get it to show in the reply so I just attached it. Maybe someone will be kind enough to instruct me otherwise. I,m not to savvy with computers.
If you can see the picture via the link opening then you can see that I partially opened one slide so you can see the side of the enclosure. That side has a mirror so it may look kind of strange.
You may also be able to see at the bottom where I had to lower and build the new floor. I have a friend reducing the wood grill that was there before so it will fit the smaller opening. Once that is done the install will be completely done.
I don't think you can see it in this photo but on the right side of the refrigerator as your facing it I left a 3.5 inch opening from top to bottom. Wife wanted a place to store the broom and this worked out quite nice for that.
Hope the attachment photo link opens once I post this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150413_194714.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	91460  
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #24

Okay,
One last post with a picture of the left side as you face the refrigerator. You can see the gap I left for the broom and other thin things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_122642.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	91477  
Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #25

I just finished installing the samsung rf 18 in mine I'm very happy with the new fridge Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429235234.627654.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	91633
Old 04-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #26

Yep, after seeing that video, where the occupant's exit was blocked by flames, we know now, that our decision to purchase a class C with multiple exits, plus air bags, is correct.

Thank God they got out alive

Bob

Quote:

Dan
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Dan
Dan,

We saw that and in this case it was not the frig. Turns out the right front tire caught fire. Makes me wonder how long the tire had been low on air and why did the driver not detect something was wrong much earlier.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #28

Refrig Upgrade Install Photos

Keith - Letsgoagain,

Great job. Looks like same set up I have in my Imperial. I know you are going to enjoy it and thanks so much for sharing your photos and experience on it!!

Are you going to have the door open on the kitchen side? I am also planning on installing a new Pure Sine Inverter just to make sure I don't have issues on the current to the new refer. Hate to spend the money but a good investment for these new electronic items and refers.

I am putting on the new Tire Minders so hopefully that will help monitor the tire pressure. Blow outs can still happen. I hear installing the Safe-T-Plus really helps on front end blow outs. Losing control of a coach is not fun.

I don't think spending money ever stops on these coaches but love them anyway.

Thanks again Keith!

Dan

Tags
door, norcold