Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Handling Improvement

I just finished the first long trip from the Cincinnati area to North Carolina. While driving through West Virginia on I-64; it felt really "tippy" on some of the curves at recommended speeds. I have a 2004 Monaco Monarch and we drove back with empty tanks and 85 pounds pressure in the tires. I'm wondering if sway bars or stiffer shocks might help a bit.

I understand that the RV won't handle like my BMW 3-series but I'd like less feeling of a roll-over without clogging the highway by going too slowly. I assume that as i drive more I will feel more comfortable with the ride too.

Thanks!

Steg
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Paul,
There are many after market devices to cure the problem mentioned in the OP. Before adding anything, have the chassis serviced and checked out. Two axle alignment, air bag system and PSI, worn or loose part, etc. If everything checks out okay, the after market devices may make a difference. I do not know your chassis. Consider the following:
1. track bar on the rear axle
2. anti sway bar on the read first then front
3. air bag restrictors These limit the volume of air that can go in or out of the bags as you travel down the highway. Go to http://www.hendersonslineup.com/prod...uspension.html and read about them.
For me, #3 is the product that helped the most to eliminate the tipsy feeling.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks GaryKD. I'm taking it to a truck suspension shop in Cincinnati Thursday for an alignment and check of what they recommend. The guys at Southwest RV in Ross OH said they are honest and good at what they do. So far the guys at Southwest RV have been the same, so I trust them. I'll post what I find out and what actions I take. I have new tires on order since the current rubber is original to the vehicle.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
Thanks GaryKD. I'm taking it to a truck suspension shop in Cincinnati Thursday for an alignment and check of what they recommend. The guys at Southwest RV in Ross OH said they are honest and good at what they do. So far the guys at Southwest RV have been the same, so I trust them. I'll post what I find out and what actions I take. I have new tires on order since the current rubber is original to the vehicle.
You do not have air bags so some of what Gary is telling you does not apply. Since the coach is about 6 years old the first thing I would do is put some good shocks like Koni on. That made a big difference on my coach to help with side to side roll and gusty wind.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Bob. That was actually my first thought. I have used Konis in the past and they made a big difference in my cars
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steg - I agree with Bob on the upgraded shocks. We have a 2008 Monarch on W22 chassis (same as yours but a little heavier) and putting on Koni FSD shocks made a noticeable improvement. It's not smooth and effortless when driving twisty roads or over potholes, but it is much better and more pleasant.

We may do a rear track bar after a while but given the money involved in these upgrades we're doing things one at a time.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Steg--I have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30 ft which I believe to be the same as your Monarch. I too felt it was too tippsy and ended up having a Roadmaster antisway bar installed. It has solved the problem 100%. Here is the link to the product: Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I took it to a suspension shop and had it aligned. The camber was off quite a bit and it helped somewhat but in checking it over while I could get under it, it has a front and rear sway-bar. They recommended adding a leaf to the rear springs. I may do that because that would help the side movement with some higher bump reaction. The RV has Bilstien shocks on it now. I may add Konis later.

One question, is a track-bar different than a sway-bar?

Thanks,
Steg
Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2005 Monarch 30', we had the same problem and added Firestone air bags at each wheel. It now rides almost as good as our Beaver did.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

We have 4 airbags, new Bilstein Shocks and something called Steer-Safe Stabilizers on each front wheel. We also have sway bars front and rear. The steering is still very touchy. With a gust of wind, or whenever a truck passes it wants to travel. We are going to get alignments done and our RV guy has recommend a 'steering stabilizer' to 'tighten up' the steering. So what is the Steer-Safe supposed to do? After reading these posts I am more confused than ever????? Do we need something else? Or do we just 'get used' to it? What about Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizers.......same as the Steer-Safe?

Thanks so much for the informative posts, and thanks to stegosaurus for starting this one.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steg, I would go with the konis first. I have a 06 Allegro bay 35ft on the w22 chasis and it felt like it was tipping over in curves. After I installed the konis, it drove much better. We went on a 150 mi trip last week, and even my wife noticed the difference.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I got the RV back after adding a leaf to the rear springs. It made a big difference. less bounce in the back end is paying off with less of a floating feeling back there. At some point I may do Konis and/or a beefier rear sway bar.

I'm guessing the sway bar would have the most impact but I'm not a suspension wizz so I value your opinions out there.

Steg