Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hankook Tires

Hey guys, I found tires on sale from Hankook (Simple Tire.com) I ordered the Hankook AH12 255/70 R 22.5, or so I thought! The tire that was sent was the same size but it's the DH 37. I called the tire.com folks who supplied my new tires and asked the difference between the AH12 and the DH37. The only thing they could tell me was that the ones I received are 'Drive' tires verses steering tires!!!!! I didn't know there was a difference? My question to the vast knowledge base on the forum is, "Can I use the DH37's as drive tires and does anybody have experience with this tire? Please let me know if you can. I hate to pay the freight to return them!.....Eric
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If Hankook has found that they must make different tires for the drive versus steer......then they have told you NO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:06 PM   #3

Just looked at the site and the tire you wanted called "AH"

"Designed for the front axle but can perform on all axles"

DH

"Designed for drive/torque axles, the lug type or siped tread designs help"

The pictures certainly have different treads but the AH is cheaper. So the DH is for when you go off-roading

Question is - did you get the lower price for a whole set of tires ?

Also I would have to defer to anyone that knows what happens if you run them on the steer axle. I myself do not know. Looking at the tread seems the steers are designed to channel water.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #4

Tires

The person who owns the place where I have my tires mounted owns a trucking company. When I asked him about putting all position tires on the front of our MH his reply was, "I only put steer tires on front of my trucks. They will ride much better and last longer." According to him, all position or drive tires are fine on the rear axle. We followed his advice. IMHO you would be better off putting steer tires on the front. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
Old 01-24-2022, 08:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If they sent you the wrong tire it’s there responsibly to replace at no charge you should not be paying for shipping at all.

Get them to give you the tires you ordered it’s really that simple.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hankook Tires

Drive tires are generally not used on Motorhomes because they are traction tires and noisy. Steer tires are used in all positions on a motorhome. ( not offroading are you?) I would especially not want them on the steer axle as they would affect more than noise up there.
I agree , if you ordered correctly and didn’t make the mistake yourself, it’s on them to make it right. Deliver and pick up the mis shipped tires on their dime …. Not yours. Now if it’s your mistake and ordered incorrectly that’s different. Personally, I would still return them and get the correct tire, absolutely at least the front steer tires.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hankook Tires

Unfortunately, it was my fault. I saw two things, the correct size and the low price! They said they will ship back for free but I will pay a 'small' restocking fee. Lesson learned. I'll go to a tire dealer in person in future and stop trying to save $50 bucks while costing me $100 !!!!!! I appreciate everyones input......
Old 01-25-2022, 09:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I went with the Hankook AH37 tires in the prescribed 275/70R22.5 for my coach. They are 18 PR and I am very happy with them so far after about 3000 miles.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #9

I too went with Hankook AH37 tires in the 275/70R22.5 for my coach. They are 18 PR and you get real firm feel in the turns. I am very happy after about 8000 miles. Happy Travels.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #10

Hankook are good tires. Under no circumstances should you use drive tires on the steering axle. But most steer tires are ok on the drive axles.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #11

Shady company?

I herd folks talk positive about this company till I checked them out. You need to verify the dates on the tires. I never buy tires older than 6 months and a few weeks of each other. This place has been known to sell 2 year old tires. The manufacturer warranties the tire from the date on the tire. I would go someplace else where you can see the tire and date for yourself. Don't cheap out on what your life depends on.
2pilgrims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:56 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Hankook Ah12 Tires

Hankook Ah12 Tires ... Commercial Truck/Bus. Medium-Duty Truck Medium Distance All Positions. The DH is a regional Truck Traction tire, wit blocky tread, you dont want that, you want the AH12 smooth tread.

Might be able to send the AH12's to a tire shop or on Craigs cheaper than the LTL Freight back
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires