Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone installed a slide-out storage drawer in their entry step opening?

On my coach there is an opening under the first entry step. This is not very useful as whatever you put there ends up falling/sliding out. I think it would be more useful to have a pull out drawer in that opening. Like in the photo. This would be a good place to store things you want to grab quickly from the outside of coach, like flashlight, rain gear, small tools, etc.

I suppose I could build a drawer out of wood, but my first choice would be a metal drawer. I've been looking around the internet, but it is not too easy to find something with the dimensions I need (20-1/4" Wide, 12" Deep, 6-1/4" high). Although the height is not as important as long as it's not taller than 6-1/4".

I did find this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...68EUK6I3&psc=1 It's close and maybe the closest to waht I want, but not perfect. If anyone has done this or knows of a place that sells these drawers, let me know.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Drawer in Stepwell.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	186298  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Our 29.2 2013 Ace came with a drawer in the first step and the third step lifts up for more storage..we keep screw drivers and other small tools.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #3

My concern is for what is behind the step in the area that the drawer will "reside" while closed. It will need to sealed against the weather, not just an opening into the underside of the coach. Does that make sense? First if not already present, you will have to make a "cave" for the drawer to reside, sealed from water spray while traveling etc. Then build rails and the drawer to slide into it. For us anyway, the perceived benefits would be outweighed by the difficulty involved. Also, many steps are designed to rise to create a flat deck when desired.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Scot,
There is already a cave under the step. The coach came that way. It is fully sealed from the elements. I just want a have/make a drawer that fits into that existing opening. I think a drawer will do a better job of containing those small items I want to store there.

I should have include a picture to show what I'm work with. See below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stepwell picture.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	186301  
Old 12-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #5

Check Slide Master all their stuff is custom to your dimensions.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for that info.

I did see these "Server Rack" drawers on Amazon, that might work too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 12-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

Mike-

I've purchased seven Premium Sheles from ShelvesThatSlide.com (link here). Six went in the upper cabinets and used the brackets that fit to a horizontal surface. The seventh replaced a tip-out under the sink, and used the same slides as the other six, but mounted to the vertical parts of the cabinet. I had some odd requirements for that shelf, and the fellow from STS (ShelvesThatSlide) spent almost 20 minutes on the phone with me ironing out the details; that's great service! The shelves came very quickly, too. I think they are worth the money.

In your application you may want to fabricate a thin cover plate to put on the front of the slide, and provide some sort of latch so it would not open when the coach rocks. A couple of one-inch finger pull holes in each upper corner of the cover plate would suffice to open the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewShelfToReplaceTipout.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	186312  
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
On my coach there is an opening under the first entry step. This is not very useful as whatever you put there ends up falling/sliding out. I think it would be more useful to have a pull out drawer in that opening. Like in the photo. This would be a good place to store things you want to grab quickly from the outside of coach, like flashlight, rain gear, small tools, etc.

I suppose I could build a drawer out of wood, but my first choice would be a metal drawer. I've been looking around the internet, but it is not too easy to find something with the dimensions I need (20-1/4" Wide, 12" Deep, 6-1/4" high). Although the height is not as important as long as it's not taller than 6-1/4".

I did find this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...68EUK6I3&psc=1 It's close and maybe the closest to waht I want, but not perfect. If anyone has done this or knows of a place that sells these drawers, let me know.
Thanks
Mike,

The top step on mine hinges up (like a foot locker) and I have storage in there. Came that way from the factory. I keep binoculars and extra keys in there. Most people that come in the coach don't even know it's there.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #9

My 02 Monaco came from the factory with hinged lid on upper step, looks like a lot less work than fabricating a drawer, also much larger storage area than a drawer can provide, if you didn't know it was there you would never find it, great place for small tools etc.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #10

I also had the idea of a cover- perhaps a piece ABS sheet with latches or industrial Velcro on the sides and a couple of finger-pulls.

Advantagse: As folks have said, no loss of storage space to slides and drawer; inexpensive

Disadvantages: Stuff may come tumbling out when opening; can't reach items in the rear of the cubby as easily

If the space was larger (and still enclosed from the elements), I'd give a shelf the nod. Sized as it is, a cover may be the better option.

What you put in the space, and how full can be, also depends on what the material is for the existing cubby.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
2 considerations for you... we too have the lift up top step with a plastic 'well/bucket' under there...

What we found is that anything in there needs to be cushioned because those large bumps you go over ? the stuff jostles and makes a racket
Secondly, it's surprising the road noise from the front tire that comes in there... bought some undercoating to help with that
Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Scot,
There is already a cave under the step. The coach came that way. It is fully sealed from the elements. I just want a have/make a drawer that fits into that existing opening. I think a drawer will do a better job of containing those small items I want to store there.

I should have include a picture to show what I'm work with. See below
Okay, that alleviates the major problem I foresaw! It should be relatively simple to build and install a drawer there.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My top step houses a cooler from the factory. Great to ice down some adult beverages, although I have never used it.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, slide, storage