Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
We replaced our Norcold 1200 with a Samsung 217 and LOVE IT. I do have a question for anyone out there with residential refers . . . we keep our Country Coach plugged in, and as far as I can tell, there is no "off" switch for the frig! There's no need to keep it on when we're off the road for a few weeks or a month at a time, but the only solution I can find is to turn the temps way up . . . any better ideas?!
When installing our Samsung RF 197 I wanted to take advantage of the two 110v power sources in the Refr compartment and also have a way to shut off power to the fridge when not using the motorhome. Since ours is in a slide and there is no room underneath for plugs and outlets as some others have done, and I wanted the original outlets in the back of the refrigerator removed, I installed a DPDT center-off toggle switch in the wall next to the refrigerator. I ran direct soldered wires to the existing coach wiring from the invertor and from the shore power lines that were behind the Norcold. These went to the switch, then I ran a line out that the Samsung plugs into. I also put a pilot light on the switch plate to indicate power to the refrigerator so I can tell without opening the door if there is power to the Samsung. Now when travelling, I can use the invertor to power the fridge, when I hook up to shore power I can turn off the refr for 3-4 minutes to let the compressor cycle down (center-off) then switch to shore power to keep the draw of the Samsung off of the invertor. When I park between trips and want the refrigerator off, I just use the center-off position. We really love the Samsung!!
The attached pictures show my modified wiring and the finished project. Thanks again to Bob (Nodine) for the write-up that provided so many ideas and gave me the courage to try this!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	15225   Click image for larger version

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	15226  

Click image for larger version

Name:	120.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	15227   Click image for larger version

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	15228  

azstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Faye, I think most 5TH wheels have a larger entry doors, so that would be better for a install. The only thing that I wonder about is if you would have capability of running the fridge while not plugged into shore power. You would need a Inverter and a battery bank of some kind.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azstork View Post
.... Thanks again to Bob (Nodine) for the write-up that provided so many ideas and gave me the courage to try this!!
Gary,

Glad to be an inspiration and thanks for the acknowledgment.

Bob

Love that Samsung!
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Azstork is there a reason you put a two way switch in the fridge. I just plugged mine into the inverter plug and then put a wall switch next to the fridge. Don't the inverter auto transfer to shore power or gen power when it senses that. At least that what my manual says. I have another thread going to see if anyone knows for sure.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Faye -

Right after we put the Samsung in our motorhome, I helped a neighbor put a 15 cf GE (I think) in his 36ft HR Presidential 5-er. His fit so perfectly (as in NO rework at all!) that it seemed almost as if it was supposed to be there initially. Old NotCold frig went out thru the door, and the new GE went in the same way, smooth and easy.
As Drifter noted, I don't think they had an inverter or genset, but they just got back from a 3-week trip thru central Florida, and said the new frig stayed cold all day every day while traveling, even powered down while traveling.

HTH
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
Azstork is there a reason you put a two way switch in the fridge. I just plugged mine into the inverter plug and then put a wall switch next to the fridge. Don't the inverter auto transfer to shore power or gen power when it senses that. At least that what my manual says. I have another thread going to see if anyone knows for sure.
My Kitchen outlets, as well as the TV/Entertainment center all go through one of the inverter circuits, the microwave on the other. On our first trip in the motorhome when it was new to us, my wife was preparing breakfast for us and our company and the electric fry pan, coffee maker and toaster popped the breaker on the inverter - At the time I didn't know about those breakers and spent the better part of the day trying to figure out why the power went out. We were on shore power, so I never thought of the inverter.
Anyhow, I want to keep the Samsung off of the inverter supplied shore power, so I took advantage of the direct lead from the shore power panel for when I am on the grid. Hope that explains my logic.
azstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
azstork -- I do the same as you, & switch to the designated refrigerator circuit from the panel box when on shore power -- I didn`t install a switch, but use two recepts in the bay next to the wet bay, & unplug from the inverter while I`m hooking up the water, sewer & such -- This will take the 5 minutes that Samsung requires, so not to short cycle the compressor-- Then I plug into the desinated refer circuit -- Maybe a little more trouble, but fool proof, which I need -- Bill Willard
William Willard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #36

Been considering going to a residential as well. Will my 4 six volt batteries do the job or will it require adding two more for a total of six house batteries? Most of our use is dry camping at NASCAR events.

Thanks
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Azstork I see why you want to switch over to the dedicated 120 line now. I checked mine after reading your post and found out that I only have the fridge, tv and one plug that we never use on that circut so I should be ok . I plugged the fridge in and watched the amp draw and was amazed at how little amperage it does draw. When starting it junped to 10 amps then dropped to 3 amps and boy did it cool down fast I think I'll will be real happy with this change.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
As I suspected, there is a LOT of interest out there from folks that are considering switching to a residential frig, and quite a number that have already done-so. And, as usual in our wonderful irv2 community here, those that have made the switch are more than willing and able to assist whenever and however they can in lending a suggestion or two.

To that end, perhaps it would be more beneficial to all if other threads were created to ask, answer, and discuss the various aspects of making the frig-switch. This thread was initially created to simply ask “Who done it” to see just how extensive the problem/solution was across the Monaco family.

I’m very happy to see the interest that’s been created, but it makes it tougher to sift thru the responses to tabulate the “Dones” versus the “Not-Dones”. And it makes it tougher for “Almost-Dones” to find a particular solution to their problem when they get stuck.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I just received a PM from a person that had misunderstood the context of what I was trying to say in my above post (#38), and for that I apologize if it came across wrong.

The original intent of this overall thread was curiosity as to how many people have made the switch to a residential refrigerator, were in the process of doing it, or were planning to do it.

My recent post was NOT to discourage anyone from doing it or asking questions, but simply trying to suggest we stay on-topic in here and that questions/comments might work better if posed in a separate thread(s) to lessen confusion and aid when using the search-functions.

I know for certain, it was the discussion by several of the ‘refrigerator pioneers’ in our Monaco forum that gave me the impetus to get started on switching mine out in the first place. And for that I am grateful to everyone.

Again, sorry for any confusion.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've thought about replacing the RV fridge with a residential fridge if ever needed. The only thing is, you lose is gas powered. I hope a full size residential fridge would fit through the entrance door and into the standing space.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
I know for certain, it was the discussion by several of the ‘refrigerator pioneers’ in our Monaco forum that gave me the impetus to get started on switching mine out in the first place. And for that I am grateful to everyone.
X2

For the cost of the replacement Norcold cooling unit I now have a Samsung 197 that I paid someone to install. A no brainer for me.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I've thought about replacing the RV fridge with a residential fridge if ever needed. The only thing is, you lose is gas powered. I hope a full size residential fridge would fit through the entrance door and into the standing space.
Batman,

There are a lot of Fleetwood Providence coaches out there and I bet some of them have been switched over to residential. You might do a search and find someone who has done the switch on the same model coach you have. As for not having a propane capable frig, I don't think you will miss it when dry camping. If you run the generator for an hour or two during the day you should have enough battery charge to go all night without issue. Of course that depends on how much stuff you run off the inverter when the generator is not running.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator