Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Head gasket failure

Does anyone know where I can find how many hours the flat rate manual allows to change a head gasket? Engine is a Cummins isl 400 hp. Motorhome is a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. US Warranty Company is only wanting to pay for 31 hours. The Freightliner truck center has estimated 50 hours. Quite a difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ask them both for written reference for their number. And get estimates from two other repair shops.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #3

A lot depends on how hard it is to get at the engine.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
A lot depends on how hard it is to get at the engine.
The engine had to be removed. I have a rear radiator. They did not remove the radiator.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony49 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find how many hours the flat rate manual allows to change a head gasket? Engine is a Cummins isl 400 hp. Motorhome is a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. US Warranty Company is only wanting to pay for 31 hours. The Freightliner truck center has estimated 50 hours. Quite a difference.

The first thing you need to know is what the extended warranty that you purchased is using for a labor time reference and that " should " be stated in the warranty?....and if not? ..ask what they are using as a guide. Then go from there.

I would get everything in writing if at all possible via e-mails

With years as a service provider to extended warranty companies, I have found it very difficult to deal with extended warranty companies and that is even with my years of experience processing claims.

Most extended warranties are purchased from an underwriter and that can even make it more confusing if the going gets rough with them.

Extended warranty companies make money by taking money in ....not paying it out !....and they will wear you down by any means possible.

There are probably more complaint cases filed against extended warranty companies with the attorney generals office a than any other type business.

Again find out what labor guide the EW is referencing and then go from there.

Im most labor operations you will find that there are many additionals that are supposed to be added to the job.

Example: Additional 1.5 hours to recover and recharge your air conditioner and on and on.

The extended warranty companies job is to pay as little as possible and if need be to wear you down by means possible ...and that is why so many complaints are filed at the AG' office.

You need the extended warranty companies copy of the estimate break down both labor operations and parts ( and in writing), then compare that to the estimate of the Cummins dealer breakdown, then you are going to see where in-lies the problem.

Again you need to get a copy of the extended warranty companies estimate of repairs break down and get it IN WRITING.

Happy Hunting
Old 09-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
The engine had to be removed. I have a rear radiator. They did not remove the radiator.
Is this job finalized? ...or is it still in progress.

FYI ....I have never a EW company pay diagnosis time.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a head gasket replaced on my 2009 Phaeton on a Freightliner chassis with a rear radiator.

Repair shop did pull the radiator and also had top access through my bedroom floor.

Attached is the estimate that the repair shop stuck with....no added charges when the job was completed. My service contract holder was originally going to pay around $2,700, but after a few phone conversations with the adjuster, they finally paid $3,300.

The radiator was the big issue as they use a truck repair guide to figure their amount of coverage, and the R&R of a OTR truck is nowhere near as involved as a motor home.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCF09092017_0001.pdf (1.89 MB, 180 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Is this job finalized? ...or is it still in progress.

FYI ....I have never a EW company pay diagnosis time.
Engine is out, head is off. Cummins said it needs a new head. The EW Co. wants to have the existing head re-surfaced. It has been a week waiting for the EW Co. to give the go ahead. Cummins engineering has sent me an email stating that a new head is required. Re-surfacing is not acceptable. I have forwarded the email to the EW Co. and the repair facility.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #9

Cummins Head Gasket

Tony: Would you share what your first indications were that you needed to have a mechanic look at your engine. Did you have any water get into the oil or did you have overheating/loss of power? Just curious, as I have a 2007 Dynasty with the 400 ISL. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip and the Cummins worked great and didn't use a drop of oil or have any issues. Thanks...Joe
jturbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jturbo10 View Post
Tony: Would you share what your first indications were that you needed to have a mechanic look at your engine. Did you have any water get into the oil or did you have overheating/loss of power? Just curious, as I have a 2007 Dynasty with the 400 ISL. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip and the Cummins worked great and didn't use a drop of oil or have any issues. Thanks...Joe
The engine started to make a ticking sound, kind of sounded like a noisy lifter. Then it got very loud. It sounded like a very bad exhaust leak. I pulled over and shut the engine off immediately. There was no loss of coolant or oil. All temperatures and pressures were normal. The engine only has 39k miles on it.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
The engine started to make a ticking sound, kind of sounded like a noisy lifter. Then it got very loud. It sounded like a very bad exhaust leak. I pulled over and shut the engine off immediately. There was no loss of coolant or oil. All temperatures and pressures were normal. The engine only has 39k miles on it.

My guess is that the EW will probably not pay for a brand " NEW" cylinder head, but may pay for a good used cylinder head and you will have to pay the cost difference out of pocket for a new versus the used cylinder head ..so be prepared.

While I don't speak compression ignition engines fluently ... your statement and description of the diagnosed issue that led to a failed head / head gasket issue sure raises lots of questions on my diagnosis radar screen.

Others here with lots more experience than me Im sure will chime in shortly.

Lots of failed/broken exhaust manifolds on certain engines have been reported here at IRV2.

You state that all engine vitals were in the normal range?

No reported fluid losses of any kind?

and the engine was running smooth and with no loss of power?

Old 09-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
My guess is that the EW will probably not pay for a brand " NEW" cylinder head, but may pay for a good used cylinder head and you will have to pay the cost difference out of pocket for a new versus the used cylinder head ..so be prepared.

While I don't speak compression ignition engines fluently ... your statement and description of the diagnosed issue that led to a failed head / head gasket issue sure raises lots of questions on my diagnosis radar screen.

Others here with lots more experience than me Im sure will chime in shortly.

Lots of failed/broken exhaust manifolds on certain engines have been reported here at IRV2.

You state that all engine vitals were in the normal range?

No reported fluid losses of any kind?

and the engine was running smooth and with no loss of power?

One photo shows the gasket protruding out from the head. The other photo shows the fire ring in the gasket blown out.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Trying to attach a couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	176176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	176177  

Old 09-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
RobRoy
See the above post for the photos. Took a couple of tries to figure out how to post photos.
Tony

Tags
gas