Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I got the LED running lights installed yesterday. The put out quite a bit more light, still have to work on adjusting them. With the change on the wiring I can now use the running lights separate from the HI/Low beams. I think these changes will make a big difference.

I also have a headlight polishing kit on order and will polish out the headlights. If it works I may not need to install LED bulbs.

If you're not happy here is what I updated my housings with. Mine were hazed and one leaked and had water inside. These are from 1998-2002 Lincoln Navigator. At 125.00 a pair they fit OEM nicely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19120137272...oAAOSwsWddP3a5

You can find them in both Chrome above and Black below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38370041914...3ABFBM7q_sorNf

I plan to do the relay upgrade and have all the parts. I found that the headlight switch gets relay HOT after a few hours of driving. The dash panel at the switch actually feels hot to the touch!

Really hard to find LED fog/driving lights that fit properly in our rectangle openings.

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I found LED driving lights that fit into my openings but they did not have a decent mounting system compatible with what was there. I was able to make something that would work but it is harder to align. Hopefully it will last, if not it will be back to the drawing board.

Here is what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWLZDNH...roduct_details

Being able to turn the driving lights on/off as needed independent of the HI/LOW beams I think is the way to go.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I found LED driving lights that fit into my openings but they did not have a decent mounting system compatible with what was there. I was able to make something that would work but it is harder to align. Hopefully it will last, if not it will be back to the drawing board.

Here is what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWLZDNH...roduct_details

Being able to turn the driving lights on/off as needed independent of the HI/LOW beams I think is the way to go.
Jim, Would you please report back here if you test them at night if you are able to aim them so they give you good light on the road, and on-coming traffic is not blinded/not flashing their bright lights at you. At least on 4 lane divided roads. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Jim, Would you please report back here if you test them at night if you are able to aim them so they give you good light on the road, and on-coming traffic is not blinded/not flashing their bright lights at you. At least on 4 lane divided roads. Thanks!
At some point I'll try and get it out on the road and see how well they work at night.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
I have basically the same fog lights. They are flood lights and not focused enough to provide benefit if they are being used in traffic. They will blind other drivers. I use them as the brights in my system.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #34

I mostly drive at night so I upgraded the headlight using bi xenon projector retrofit. Here is before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	351018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	351019  

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	351020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	351021  

Old 12-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #35

Front view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	351022  
Old 12-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansailor View Post
Excellent, thanks! Not sure where you came across the idea of using those - I thought I was either stuck with the originals or, if I was lucky, finding a better set in an RV wrecking yard - and it's good to know that there is another option.
Monaco never manufactured any of their own headlights - they used lights made for other vehicles, they did the same thing with ignition switches, windshield washer pumps etc. A little research will reveal what vehicle Monaco borrowed the design from for your coach. You can look up the DOT numbers on the headlight and that will tell you what they were made for. Of course Monaco didn't buy their lights from the OEM, they bought knock off copies from an "aftermarket" manufacturer. If you find out what vehicle your lights were originally designed for, and purchase replacements I encourage you to be careful as many of the aftermarket products may look nice, but are substandard in both materials and construction.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Averill View Post
Monaco never manufactured any of their own headlights - they used lights made for other vehicles, they did the same thing with ignition switches, windshield washer pumps etc. A little research will reveal what vehicle Monaco borrowed the design from for your coach. You can look up the DOT numbers on the headlight and that will tell you what they were made for. Of course Monaco didn't buy their lights from the OEM, they bought knock off copies from an "aftermarket" manufacturer. If you find out what vehicle your lights were originally designed for, and purchase replacements I encourage you to be careful as many of the aftermarket products may look nice, but are substandard in both materials and construction.
My headlights are from a ~2002 Lincoln Navigator. I replaced them about 10 years ago and they have held up pretty well. I am going to try and polish them out. If that doesn't work it will be LED bulb replacement time.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #38

Summit is great supplier of Hella bulbs even for gauges of cluster. Summit almost never come up as a Google search. Picked up my fog and running light bulbs " next wattage up off road only"and spares cheap as heck as well as well VDO gauge hella bulbs from summit .I always buy brightest Phillips in bulb line at menards for any wife's used cars first thing. Halogen dim over time , she has poor night vision...Summit used to sell Mobil TES295 Transyn for $26 a gallon it's been climbing to close to $40.now .
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just a thought to share, I have a pickup truck and the headlights went dim over time and I tried LED bulbs but they didn't work out so well for me, what did work well though is replacing the bulbs with "HELLA" higher wattage bulbs. If I remember correctly the standard bulbs are 55~65 watts and you can get 80~100 watt (and higher) bulbs to replace the lower wattage bulbs. They are labeled for off-road use, however they were not so bright that anyone would be blinded by them and work well with housings made for regular bulbs. Some people have reported though that they are too hot for some plastic housings so keep that in mind. Something like this one, but make sure the bulb # is right for yours if you try these. ~CA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33417884258...IAAOSwHathZUTD

or maybe these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19412029110...epid=179777543
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:14 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
93 Monaco headlamps

Has anybody found a source for new headlamps assemblies for 93 Monaco Signature? My headlights are huge and rectangular.
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage man View Post
Has anybody found a source for new headlamps assemblies for 93 Monaco Signature? My headlights are huge and rectangular.
Not sure about that, you should be able to google the DOT numbers which should be in raised letters on the headlights, or contact Daniel Stern lighting https://www.danielsternlighting.com/ - he may know. In doing a google search I also noticed there may be an issue with the way your headlights are wired - there was a recall on some Monaco Coach Crown Royale Signature - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints Relays might be helpful with this issue as well.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #41

People might think they have adjusted their LEDs not to blind people based on the fact no one asks them do dim their lights. I stopped flashing mine because I know they will just hit me with their high beam telling me see Iím was on dims. So donít use that as a benchmark.

If you want to know what you are really beaming out walk an 1/8th mile out in front of your vehicle and look directly into your beam for a minute.
HenryH001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage man View Post
Sounds like 5x7" sealed beams, same as my '98 Safari. If so there are alternatives. This same light size was used for years in Jeeps and Toyotas and there's a large aftermarket accessory market for them, including headlights. You need to look for a few important things.

1. Replacement LED assemblies can be deeper than the original sealed beam bulb so they may not fit in your buckets. Pay attention to the depth especially if they have cooling fins.

2. There are some terrible designs that will throw light everywhere. Stay away from the ones that have rows of LED chips at the bottom of little reflective cones. They will not control off axis light. Draw an imaginary line between the chip and the edge of the cone opening and extend that line to infinity. That's where the light goes. You'll see half the light is thrown up into the air well above the horizontal. A good rule of thumb is, if you can see the chip from large angles, it's bad.

I found some that are projector types and they work quite well. They fit in the buckets and have good cut-off. If I shine my low beams on a wall there's very little light above the horizontal, just like good factory headlights.

Attached is an image of the bad style, and of the ones I ended up installing which ave a great cut-off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bad5x7LED.jpg
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	351221   Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariLights.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	351222  

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags