Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Headlight wont turn off unless unplugged

I have a 05 Monaco Exec and while out of the campground the headlights just came on at first I thought some people were pulling my chain but low and behold they were on. I turned off the battery disconnects in the coach and chassis on off switch but they were still on and stayed on until I turned off the shorepower. Just the headlights are on not running lights and not tail lights. Anybody got any ideas? Right now I have them disconnected after I pulled the generator out to get to the plug ins.
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterok View Post
I have a 05 Monaco Exec and while out of the campground the headlights just came on at first I thought some people were pulling my chain but low and behold they were on. I turned off the battery disconnects in the coach and chassis on off switch but they were still on and stayed on until I turned off the shorepower. Just the headlights are on not running lights and not tail lights. Anybody got any ideas? Right now I have them disconnected after I pulled the generator out to get to the plug ins.
If they are still on when both battery disconnects are open then they must be receiving power from the converter/charger which is part of the Magnum Inverter. Seems odd to me that converter power could reach the headlights. You coach must have a system over my head. Maybe you have a Multiplex System that allows the head lights to power on or off when the doors are locked/unlocked and it has gone haywire. Just guessing here.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

If equipped ; a defective Daytime Running Light relay ( module ).
But curious that they didn't turn off with the battery disconnects, unless being on shore power over rides the disconnects.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

I don't know if this info is helpful or not but when the lights are on you can hit the button on the smart wheel to toggle the headlights (I THINK they go to high and back to low beam but they may go off and back on, I use this button to signal passing drivers its save to pull back over in front of me)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My first thought was a Smart Wheel issue. When you turn on your windshield wipers, the Smart Wheel will cause your headlights to come on. You have to pull the headlight switch out and push back in to turn lights off after using the wipers. You may have a short in the SmartWheel or wiper/SmartWheel connection.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
My first thought was a Smart Wheel issue. When you turn on your windshield wipers, the Smart Wheel will cause your headlights to come on. You have to pull the headlight switch out and push back in to turn lights off after using the wipers. You may have a short in the SmartWheel or wiper/SmartWheel connection.
Tomorrow I will hit the wipers and see what happens. I have used the wipers before and as far as I know I have never had to turn the headlights on and then off to get them to go off. But who knows stranger things have happened, also I am at the same time I am going to leave the lights on and see what warms up in the Front Run Box. But if anybody else has anything to try I will check my emails in the morninging before going to my warehouse. Thanks for the help
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have an alarm system? I believe it turns on the lights if activated. I don't have one in my rig, but that was my first thought.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #8

Skip is probably correct .... a stuck DRL relay.

In any coach I've dealt with, the shore power does override the disconnects except of course a mechanical disconnect. Even with those off your convertor/invertor may still be supplying 12 to the electrical systems.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #9

That DRL relay is problematic ! When the same thing happened to our Dynasty I almost had a fire! The board for the relay burned up. Check your smart wheel box. The 12 volt input wire may be scorched. If your relay is the same as mine it is hard to find. Made by Hamsar in Canada but I could not find it at any Hamsar dealers. I had to make a special order.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Moisheh,
Is this the relay? Northwest RV Supply: Hamsar Solid State D.R.L Module
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Sorry but I can't download the file!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Do you have an alarm system? I believe it turns on the lights if activated. I don't have one in my rig, but that was my first thought.
I don't have a security system that I know of.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
That DRL relay is problematic ! When the same thing happened to our Dynasty I almost had a fire! The board for the relay burned up. Check your smart wheel box. The 12 volt input wire may be scorched. If your relay is the same as mine it is hard to find. Made by Hamsar in Canada but I could not find it at any Hamsar dealers. I had to make a special order.
Do you know what board the DRL relay is located on? thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterok View Post
Do you know what board the DRL relay is located on? thanks
I too am following this thread with a similar problem, and am curious about where that DRL relay is. I am unable to turn off my headlights regardless of wiper blades... brand new 2013 coach Fleetwood coach.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote