RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

headlights on 03 dynasty

I checked and think that the headlights on my 03 dynasty are bmw 5 series 1999-2003 Hr15P dot lenses anyone taken the old ones out to put new in? On a bmw the screws come from the top down I do not see anyway to get aboce the headlights to find mounts? Also any places beside a junk yard to look for less than 300.00 lenses?

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2

Are they broken or just fogged? I've been polishing mine but they never get to the "like new" look. I just tried a polish kit by RainX and the lights now look lots better than before. This one has a surface coating as last step, hope it lasts.

Let us know how you make out if you replace.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Are they broken or just fogged? I've been polishing mine but they never get to the "like new" look. I just tried a polish kit by RainX and the lights now look lots better than before. This one has a surface coating as last step, hope it lasts.

Let us know how you make out if you replace.
Have used three different polish kits work ok for a month or so then back to poor surface. I am wondering how hard it is to remove fixture?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dupdyke,
Hopefully this will help your efforts. I have a 2001 dynasty and it uses headlights from a 528i or 540i BMW and they are in deed expensive. Mine are a Monaco pn 11847 driver side (BMW pn 65513), and Monaco pn 11852 passenger side (BMW pn 65514). The cheapest I found them was on e-bay for about 1/2 the Monaco cost.
I never purchased any replacement lights due to expense, so as an alternate I removed the lamp assemblies and wet sanded with 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 grit. Then the final step is to buff the lenses with an electric drill and buffing wheel, using a quality headlight lens cleaner/polish, and they look 1000 times better. Unfortunately you will need to buff/polish them at least annually, and more frequently if stored outside in sunlight.

As a special note, if I remove them again, I will sand the lenses with 400 grit, then 600 grit, and spray them with a high solid polyurethane clear coat, and this will virtually eliminate the need to re-buff and makes them extremely tolerant to UV sunlight. I have done this to a set of car headlight lenses that were in bad condition and when completed they looked refreshed to like new condition. Unfortunately if your lenses have any deep scratches or cracks the poly clear coat will make them look great, but not eliminate the cracks in the lenses.
Hope this helps and happy RV'g.
Yukon Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I tried the headlamp polish kits from maquires etc. I then used the 3m kit and they turned out beautiful. No need to remove the headlamps just mask the area with blue tape.
Here is before
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1551592320.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	27045

And after

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2033738881.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	27046
The 3m kit uses two levels of sandpaper and the polishing compound on a supplied foam disk for use on a 1500 RPM drill. I used my 14 v DeWalt

I used 1 1/2 kits for the two lenses

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Dupdyke,
Hopefully this will help your efforts. I have a 2001 dynasty and it uses headlights from a 528i or 540i BMW and they are in deed expensive. Mine are a Monaco pn 11847 driver side (BMW pn 65513), and Monaco pn 11852 passenger side (BMW pn 65514). The cheapest I found them was on e-bay for about 1/2 the Monaco cost.
I never purchased any replacement lights due to expense, so as an alternate I removed the lamp assemblies and wet sanded with 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 grit. Then the final step is to buff the lenses with an electric drill and buffing wheel, using a quality headlight lens cleaner/polish, and they look 1000 times better. Unfortunately you will need to buff/polish them at least annually, and more frequently if stored outside in sunlight.

As a special note, if I remove them again, I will sand the lenses with 400 grit, then 600 grit, and spray them with a high solid polyurethane clear coat, and this will virtually eliminate the need to re-buff and makes them extremely tolerant to UV sunlight. I have done this to a set of car headlight lenses that were in bad condition and when completed they looked refreshed to like new condition. Unfortunately if your lenses have any deep scratches or cracks the poly clear coat will make them look great, but not eliminate the cracks in the lenses.
Hope this helps and happy RV'g.
Yukon Jack
Wow! sounds like a lot of work. You could make a few bucks at Monaco or FMCA rally doing this.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I tried the headlamp polish kits from maquires etc. I then used the 3m kit and they turned out beautiful. No need to remove the headlamps just mask the area with blue tape.
Here is before
Attachment 27045

And after

Attachment 27046
The 3m kit uses two levels of sandpaper and the polishing compound on a supplied foam disk for use on a 1500 RPM drill. I used my 14 v DeWalt

I used 1 1/2 kits for the two lenses

Jeff
These were almost exactly the way mine looked. I used the 3M pro kit and a few hours later they looked like new.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports

These were almost exactly the way mine looked. I used the 3M pro kit and a few hours later they looked like new.

Mike.
Sure beats $500 or more for two BMW headlamps
I am very pleased with the 3m kit results. Could do it again in about 30 mins per headlamp.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #9

Headlamps

My Headlamps (2001 Dynasty) were not only Cloudy and Fogged but also had another problem. Inside there is a threaded device that enables the headlamp beam to move up and down. This device breaks quite often on the BMWs. They require removal of the assembly to replace. The item is available from many BMW suppliers and on Ebay.
After I cleaned the lenses at times I noticed the central part of the beam would move as I hit a bump. After I researched I was able to find this Item which cost about $10.
We are on the road now or I would post the part numbers, a Google search should find it.These are important replacement part on these headlamps. BMW forums discuss this frequently.
By the way after cleaning the clear look was gone in a few months, it seems that the UV protection is also removed with the cleaning. The only solution was to find used units, cheap if they were replaced for either discharge units or broken adjuster parts (as in my units). Cost for Ebay was $100. pair with perfect clear lenses.
Robert
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Headlamps

Hi All, Here is a link to the Adjusters I mentioned in my last post.
Robert
BMW 528i 530i 540i M5 Headlight Headlamp Adjuster Alignment Kit Set Kit NEW | eBay