Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #57
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
Just going to throw this out there. I have not worked on a modern vehicle with a fuse as the only protection for a headlight circuit. I have only seen auto-reset circuit breakers.

The reason for this is simple: if a fuse blows in the headlight circuit the headlights go out until you replace the fuse....end of story. not good going down the road 60+ mph.

If you develop a short in a circuit with a auto-reset circuit breaker the lights will be out until it resets. as soon as it cools the lights come back on until it heats up again...repeat process.
My headlight switch has a built-in circuit breaker, yet there is a 25A fuse labeled "Headlights" in the front electrical compartment, and it is show on the chassis wiring diagram in the headlight circuit!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #58
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFXCH View Post
Joe do your headlights go on when you turn on your windshield wipers?
I had no headlights 2 years ago. Main 25 amp vuse was good and power to/from the fuse. Traced the headlight wire out of the fuse compartment into the generator compartment. It took a u-turn back into the fuse box to a waterproof plug screwed to the base of the fuse box. Took the plug apart and low and behold there was a 15 amp fuse in it. The fuse had blown replaced and had headlights. Recently I had no headlights with the main switch again. Had lights when wiper turned on so thinking it can't be a ground issue. Went to that mystery fuse and it was fried. Completely melted! Replaced fuse and still no lights and fuse didn't blow again either. Replaced the main switch and have lights again.
My headlights do turn automatically when the wipers are on! That's a function of the SmartWheel controller module SM210.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #59

Noo Healights

You may want to check and see if you have a relay for the headlamps. Many manufacturers use a relay to avoid the large current draw from the lamps having to go through the light switch. It would be a small black box, usually in the fuse panel and a diagram will show which one is for headlamps. Incidentally, there are usually several relays on the board and most are interchangeable. If you see another with the same part number, just pull it out and swap it, If the headlamps now work, the relays are inexpensive at most auto parts stores and you can just replace the one that you used to swap out.
johns928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
I would wire the fog lamp power feed from the hi beams to the parking lamps, or key on 12v power. Makes no sense to only have "fog" lamps operate on hi beam. Ours work anytime the rotary headlamp switch is pulled out, key on, headlights on or off. Use them frequently in inclimate weather. There fairly bright, but combined with hi beams they would be blinding.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #61

First let me suggest that you contact the manufacture of your RV and see if they will email you a wiring diagram specific to the 12 volt system covering the headlights. Now I know things have changed over time but at one time the headlights and sometime the horn were powered via a standalone relay that may include an auto reset circuit breaker. or fuse. The light switch actually trips the relay and takes its power from another source via a fuse or breaker. A wiring diagram will show this configuration and it could be the case that you have a bad relay or a bad feed. Don't exclude a potential cause of failure as a bad breaker, they do go bad. Keep in mind that most manufactures don't want the owner working on the electric system and especially propane due to potential liability so the standard response is "Take the unit to the dealer for service and or repair".
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #62
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns928 View Post
You may want to check and see if you have a relay for the headlamps. Many manufacturers use a relay to avoid the large current draw from the lamps having to go through the light switch. It would be a small black box, usually in the fuse panel and a diagram will show which one is for headlamps. Incidentally, there are usually several relays on the board and most are interchangeable. If you see another with the same part number, just pull it out and swap it, If the headlamps now work, the relays are inexpensive at most auto parts stores and you can just replace the one that you used to swap out.
Thanks but the headlight problem is solved with the SM210 replacement.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #63

I have in the past found a 2nd set of fuses other than in the main box. Sometimes under the dash.
andhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #64
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The 25A headlight fuse is in the outside front electrical compartment in front of the left front tire.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Tags
headlight, light, lights