RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Heat-checked rotors.

The brake rotors on the drive axle show signs of moderate heat checking.
I've seen that situation on drums which are still in service but I'm not familiar with the heat checks on rotors.
How common is it? Do they have to be replaced?
Thanks, Iver.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

Iver,
I have the '03 version of your coach. I've lived in mine full time for going on 6 years. I hope your experience is as good as mine.

Heat checking of the rotors is common and there is a spec for what is allowable. If you know the manufacturer of your brakes, give them a call & they can tell you the spec. How many miles do you have & how are the pads looking?

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

Hi Steve,
The coach has 31K miles. The brakes are Meritor.
Unfortunately the previous owner only cared about the appearance and was really negligent when it came to maintenance. The interior and exterior are immaculate, but the mechanical has been neglected.

I have been in the process of greasing, lubing, cleaning, filling everything according to specs. I know from help on this board there is a specific procedure for greasing the calipers especially using clay-based grease. I believe that it is possible someone wrongly greased the calipers and that could have made them overheat which could have caused the heat checking. The front rotors are not heat checked.

From what I can see from underneath the coach, the pads on the disks and the shoes on the tags look as though they are still okay. I will be pulling all the wheels next week to do a thorough inspection. I also saw a small amount of oil seep on the tag axle seal so I will change that also.

It actually really makes me surprised and somewhat angry that someone could pay what we pay for these rigs and then not maintain them properly.

Anyway, it would be nice to know what is allowable and what is not when it comes to heat-checking. I have a feeling that I might have to replace them.
I will post a picture to see what others think.
Thanks, Iver.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

Iver,

Monaco had a publication which might still be available either in print or a PDF. In was just called: Roadmaster Chassis Lubrication Guide. It devotes several pages to proper caliper lubrication complete with diagrams. It would be worth a call to Monaco Tech Support(877-466-6226) to see if you can get your hands on one.

If you haven't done it yet, pull a transmission service & get new filters and Transynd in that 4000 ASAP. Also, when were your tires born?

I agree that it's totally insane to neglect maintence on these coaches. You are on the right track and will get a handle on everything soon. Pulling all wheels for an inspection is a big job, so let us know how it works out.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Pictures........
I'm not sure how clear these will be but it will give an indication.
Someone posted or sent me those pages on caliper lube, so I am grateful for that.
New Michelin tires 2011.
My last coach was a MCI-9 and I removed and replaced all brakes, seals etc. so I have all the tools now just have to find the time.
Transmission service is a good idea. When I make sure this thing is safe to drive it will be on my to do list.
Thanks, Iver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	564.7 KB
ID:	22650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	22651  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	22652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	779.3 KB
ID:	22653  

Old 06-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Are these rotors only available as a Meritor part?
Or are they interchangeable with truck parts?
Thanks, Iver.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
One cause for heat checking is left foot braking. Some folks use their left foot for actuating the brake pedal. Sometimes these folks will unconsciously lightly rest the left foot on the pedal. When they do the brake shoe will lightly ride on the rotors and cause excessive heat which results in checking. Carried to extreme left foot braking can overheat the brakes and boil the brake fluid thereby causing complete braking failure.

One can tell if the person in front of them is a left footer because the brakes lights are on or flickering all the time.

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote