Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Heat from diesel engine

Our motorhome has a north/south king bed in the rear of the coach. On the long trips the wood part (next to the rear of the coach) underneath the head of the mattress and right above the diesel engine gets extremely hot. So hot you can hardly hold your hand on the wood part. It causes the rear of the bedroom to get very very warm (hot).

Has anyone experienced this on this type coach? If so, how did you correct the problem?

Thanks.

Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #2

There should be some insulating blanket that keeps this from being a problem in the living space, outside the inevitable heat build-up in the bed. You should check & see if that was omitted in yours & add it if so. Mine is a foil-wrapped insulating mat about 1/2"+ thick, mounted to the underside of the bed platform w/very large fender washers & sheet metal support strips. Ours has an engine hatch in back that I open when we arrive for the evening as a large "vent" & the bed area cools off in about 2 or 3 hours. In the winter we just hop into the cozy warm bed.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I did for the bedroom heat. (From a previous post)

I am one of the many Camelot owners that have the hot bedroom syndrone. I had the factory rear vent installed, and at the same time they removed and replaced the deteriorating foil insulation. I then installed a heat shield over the turbo and exhaust. These all helped, but still had to vent the bedroom after each day's drive.
So, last month I started talking to Advanced Thermal Products, Inc. (Advanced Thermal Products), as I saw they had a wrap for a ISL370. But it turned out to be a different exhaust/turbo configuration than the ISL400. Roberto, at ATP even went to a local RV dealer to take some measurements of an ISL400, but salesman wouldn't let do it as he wasn't a buyer.
Now, as my friend, Terry, was going to LA Thursday for some RV furniture, so he stopped by ATP and Roberto spent 3 hours measuring his 08 Scepter. Roberto called me with a price and I said go ahead, setting an appointment to be there Wednesday. They let me park overnight in their lot, so they could start on a cool engine at 7:00 am. Two employees tackled the wrap while the owner, Tim Thompson, spent the next 4 hours with me, showing what they do and how they do it. What an operation! They had to make some modification to mine during install and as they did, they saved it the computer. Once they were satisfied with the installation and fit of mine, they made Terry's and I was headed home by 1:00 PM.
As I had 5 hours sleep the night before, I got the nods about 3 1/2 hrs into the trip home. So, I went to the bedroom and it wasn't its normal toasty self - instead very comfortable. The outside temp was 85* and I wasn't towing, so the proof will come when I go to Branson the end of May. But it is a super improvement already.
Today I put Terry's wrap on and every piece fit perfectly. Those folks have talent.

The three separate pieces; exhaust pipe elbow, turbo housing & exhaust manifold. The exhaust elbow piece starts at the turbo and ends just before turning under the engine.

An inside look at the insulation
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...dium/ATP_3.JPG

Installed ISL400
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...dium/ATP_1.JPG

The plate they put on each piece
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...dium/ATP_4.JPG

They make the wrap in 1100* and 1400*. Mine is the 1100* one and cost $693 for the three pieces. The price can go up or down depending on the length of the exhaust elbow piece. Camelot/Scepter exits on the right, whereas the Dip/Endevor exit left.

Visit Advanced Thermal Products for many more details. These guys are great and understand motorhomes.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Amazing that "good" coaches have such poor insulation!!! It sure seems to me that you don't have some insulation that you should have. We have have an "east/west bed, and have never noticed any engine heat in the bedroom or closet of our Winnebago diesel pusher coach.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have a Winnebago DP and also have the north/south bed. I have never noticed any kind of engine heat in the bedroom or bed. Winnebagoes though have a very heavy steel plate over the engine. I bought a fire supression system for my coach and the fellow who makes them hooked up the alarm and commented on the plate covering the engine. He said he has never seen a steel covering like that. I keep several under bed size storage bins of items as well as a few other things under the bed and have not ever had a problem with any of those things getting warm either. I don't go under there after running that often but have on occassion.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote