Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Help! 1993 Holiday Rambler needs a new motor

Hello to all. I hope I can get some solid advise on a big problem we have. Our 1993 Holiday Rambler Imperial's motor is toast. This unit is nearly perfect inside. It was purchased fairly cheap but the cost of a new / rebuilt motor is daunting. We love this camper! Pretty bad gas milage but I wonder how much that would change with a new power plant. Is there anybody else out there who had to make this kind of decision? A new unit is out of reach for us at this point. Also, the reviews on "Jasper" rebuilds isn't too good so we would probably get a new crate motor providing this camper doesn't get junked! Please help! Thanks in advance for any responses, and happy camping to all!
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #2

As with most things dealing with a motorhome, is how much money do you have to spend? Setting that aside, go with a new crate engine. That's my best advice.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

I have seen a lot of complete low mileage engines on craigslist lot of older motorhomes being scraped
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not sure what I would do. If everything else is mechanically sound I might consider it. It's a crap shoot either way!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Thanks! I think you petty much nailed it. "Crap shoot"! Now I have to ask myself the question....."do I feel lucky"?
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Who built the motor (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.)? IDENTIFY IT! There is no such thing as a brand new engine - they are reman or used. Ask friends, relatives neighbors. That said find a reputable repair shop - go & talk to the owner. How do you know it's shot? Maybe the shop can price a known good used one with a 30 day warranty. If the rig is otherwise sound might be worth it. May find a used MH but take a mechanic with you if looks worth while. SHOP LOOK make a wise decision you can live with. Best Wishes.
STRONGLAND1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRONGLAND1 View Post
Who built the motor (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.)? IDENTIFY IT! There is no such thing as a brand new engine - they are reman or used. Ask friends, relatives neighbors. That said find a reputable repair shop - go & talk to the owner. How do you know it's shot? Maybe the shop can price a known good used one with a 30 day warranty. If the rig is otherwise sound might be worth it. May find a used MH but take a mechanic with you if looks worth while. SHOP LOOK make a wise decision you can live with. Best Wishes.

This isn’t entirely true . I know you can buy new GM 7.4s, I don’t believe you can get a new Ford 7.5.
That being said I do know of several people who have Jasper engines in various vehicles over the years , I know of 1 that had a harmonic balancer failure , it was replaced under warranty .
I also know of a brand new GM 4.3 that spun a main bearing while under warranty .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Sorry to hear of these problems. At least you love the MH. You just have to weigh how much is the cost to replace and is it worth it.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #9

Hi

It sounds like it’s just a matter of how much you want to spend

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

Welcome to IRV2

No , thankfully I haven't had to make that decision , yet ( replace engine )
I did have a Jasper transmission installed in a pickup , absolutely no problems .

93 was before Monaco purchased Holiday Rambler , 1999 I think was .
In recent yrs Imperial is pretty hi on the HR food chain , not sure where it
was back then .
With that we may be looking at a diesel engine which will be even more
expensive .
Either way you most likely would never be able to recover your cost but neither
will any of us RV owners out here .

Tell us what engine and some prices then we can get a better picture of you
situation .

I've only heard good things about Jasper and we know that happy cust
hardly ever review , mostly only unhappy cust review .
Jasper products are not cheap but they have a good warranty and stand
behind it nation wide .

Good luck with your decision .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #11

Deja Vu?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I remember that thread .
Great saga ,well worth reading even if just for entertainment .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #13

Joe & annette

Hello Joe & Annette
I think if I was needing a new motor, I would find a good mechanic and get your old engine rebuilt, You might have to get a new short block. A good rebuilt engine just about as good as a new one. You can have problems even a new one.
The only thing with a new one you might get some guarantee with it. But you can get a little guarantee with a good rebuilt engine from a good mechanic.
I am 74 year old , so I have had many rebuilt and I have rebuilt some in my garage at home​. Did I ever have problems with them , you bet​
Now I have a 2002 Revolution motorhome and it is diesel. I do all my own work on it, I will not work on any thing internally on the diesel engine​.

Now this is just my opinion.
Most of the time when I need to find out some thing about my motorhome, I will go to the best place to ask​. irv2 great place

Marlin
Texana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced an engine in a friends 1994 HR Imperial about 15 years ago. We replaced the 454 engine with a new GM 502 crate engine. He was in similar situation where the coach was like new inside and out but the engine crapped out on him. It ran great and still runs great as he has handed down to one of his kids, but the engine swap was not a fun job.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler