RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Help before new flooring installed

Getting ready to install laminate. We knew we had a lump in the floor starting about 2 inches out from the kitchen cupboards. WE thought it had gotten wet at one time and swelled up. We pulled up vinyl and the wood looks brand new, doesn't look like there was every any kind of moisture. But we decided to take a hole saw and drill a hole through it to see if was every wet on the other side and if that was what has caused the swelling. Nope, the hole we removed look perfect on the underside. So when looking at the floor, the bolts that hold the slide out tracks are just about where the floor has the most valley in it. We really don't want to rip out flooring is there some sort of floor leveler that would work with the flexing of the rv? I have posted pictures, not sure how to get the best representation of what is going on. The one picture of the blue water is on the floor, the other picture of blue water is on the counter showing the rv is pretty level I can say that when you stand at the sink you can really tell there is a valley where your heals are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4254.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	285987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4255.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	285988  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4257.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	285989  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I would level out that area with this:

https://www.ardexamericas.com/produc...eather-finish/

Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

If you were to use a vinyl plank flooring, the human eye could not see this little dip or imperfection in the floor?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac99 View Post
I would level out that area with this:

https://www.ardexamericas.com/produc...eather-finish/
X2 on the Ardex .
Have used it on large commercial construction projects over many years without a single failure .
Easy to work with , remains flexible and can overlay laminate same day.
We installed vinyl laminate in our coach several years ago and have been very pleased with it's performance.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #5

Is the warp in the travel area of a slide? I had a similar issue when I did my floor. It turns out that the damage was under the slide where the roller had been parked on wet subflooring for probably years. The weight had sunk the area immediaely below the roller and caused a corresponding upward wrinkle inboard from that point, like what I imagine happens when continental collisions create mountain ranges. I had to both lower the high spot and raise the sunk bit. I finished it with a fitted steel plate. It's not "perfect", but I don't feel like I'm perched on a ladder rung when I make my morning coffee anymore.

And yes, there are flexible leveling compounds. Some self-level. That's a plus if you're working under the slide. They take a couple days to really set up.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
rmacdon61 It was pretty obvious before we took up the vinyl in that area so yes I think you would still see it.. More important is I don't want to feel like I am falling backward every time I do dishes.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Is the warp in the travel area of a slide? I had a similar issue when I did my floor. It turns out that the damage was under the slide where the roller had been parked on wet subflooring for probably years. The weight had sunk the area immediaely below the roller and caused a corresponding upward wrinkle inboard from that point, like what I imagine happens when continental collisions create mountain ranges. I had to both lower the high spot and raise the sunk bit. I finished it with a fitted steel plate. It's not "perfect", but I don't feel like I'm perched on a ladder rung when I make my morning coffee anymore.

And yes, there are flexible leveling compounds. Some self-level. That's a plus if you're working under the slide. They take a couple days to really set up.
How did you lower the high spot?
Old 05-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
How did you lower the high spot?
I used a 4' bubble level and mapped out the high spot like a topo map. Then I went at it with a oscillating tool to kind of surface skim and chisel the particle board to an approximate level -- darn stuff has no grain -- and finished with a belt sander with coarse grit -- 36 or 40, iirc. Some of it was under the slide. I have an air powered "cheese grater" (think body shop air-plane) sander that I could run underneath the slide once I tipped the slide up. The wood stank of water seepage and chemicals. I kept the fan going, a bag on the sander, and wore a mask and face shield.

Little rips past the deck height weren't an issue, since I smoothed it all with self-leveling compound. It isn't perfect, but especially with a bit of padded rubber mat to stand on I can't feel it anymore. It wasn't a complicated job, but it was tedious. Wear knee pads.

[edit] I forgot -- my high spot went into a low spot where the roller sits. I did a primary fill of the low spot with a PINT of fiberglass resin and cloth in layers. I followed that with some bondo to get it closer to level, and then applied self-leveling compound. I capped the area with a piece of sheet metal. I don' think the roller is getting through all that.

It was a December project. The best part was that I bought a carton of 20 N-95 masks and a couple 100ct boxes of blue gloves for the 2-mask/10-pair job. They're coming in handy.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Wow sounds like you fixed it right. We have a spot in the hall also that flexes when you walk. It seems like the supports under the floor are spaced to far apart. I have no idea what to do about that.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #10

I had a 3x7' piece of subfloor that had to be replaced. When I took it out, the "joists" underneath were rotted and springy. I cut them out as far in all directions as needed, and dimensioned and "daughtered" in new joists. They were on approx 16" centers. Doubling them up during daughtering reduced that space, making it firmer. Then I added some cross-joists to give added support at the slide roller surfaces. I laid 5/8 CDX for new subfloor. I wanted marine, but couldn't find any in 5/8.

I screwed things together. I did not allow for much expansion. I tried to keep in mind that everything flexes going down the road, and I didn't want too much stiffness. We'll find out how well I guessed when I can travel again.

Tags
floor, flooring, install, led