RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 04:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help changing belt on 2006 Diplomat

We have a 2006 Diplomat with rear radiator. The coach has 72,000 miles on the original fan belt and we would like as a minimum to inspect the belt. I am hoping for replies from individuals who do their own work and have replaced the fan belt on a 2006 Diplomat or close cousin. These coaches have a hidden engine cover panel in the closet area that must be removed to access the fan area. Last November Vanwill and I replaced a leaking manifold gasket on our coach and had that cover off. I remember looking up at the alternator and fan area and thinking even with that cover removed it would be extremely difficult to replace either the alternator or the fan belt. We also have the rock guard underneath the fan area and was wondering if there would be any advantage in removing that guard to gain access to the belt?

So any brave souls with a similar coach who have replaced their fan belt, please give me some encouragement.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bob,
What engine? I've done an 8.3 ISC on our '04...
Hal

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey, Bob
I have the exact coach you do ('06 PDQ). I changed the serpentine belt a couple of years ago. Having another person to help is almost a necessity. You do have to remove the floor panel under the closet frame. You also have to remove the rock guard under the engine (four 9/16" nuts, one 1/2" nut). The idler pulley is accessible from the ground on the road side of the engine. You will need a 1/2" breaker bar to move the pulley and, even then, it's a pull. The old belt will come off fairly easily (you have to thread it across the fan blades). The new one is a little tougher as it has not stretched any, making it a job to get onto the last pulley. The last pulley I put it on is the one on top of the engine, road side. I started it onto the pulley and then "kicked" the starter to work it fully onto the last pulley. It's a little work to change the belt but, knowing what you have done to your coach in the past, you can handle it. Hope this helps.

Joe (Wizzo442)
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I just changed the belt on my 07. I agree with Joe's procedure although I found that releasing the belt tensioner was easier from the top because I had more available "arc" to work with when releasing the tensioner. It helps to have a ratchet-head tool for this so you can maximize the arc.

I did the job alone. I removed the closet doors, the bottom door rail, the rear access cover in the closet and the rock guard. The belt has to be threaded through the fan blades and between the engine crank pulley and motor mount. Some of the threading was done from above and some from below, but otherwise the job is pretty much like replacing a serpentine belt on any vehicle. I think the last pulley I put the belt over was the alternator. The belt pretty much stayed in place as I released the tensioner and slipped the belt over the Alt. pulley.

Next time, I think I will either run the jacks up a couple inches or roll the rear tires up on blocks to give me a little more belly room.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Bob,
What engine? I've done an 8.3 ISC on our '04...
Hal
Hal,

ISL 400.

Bob
Old 11-08-2015, 04:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo442 View Post
Hey, Bob
I have the exact coach you do ('06 PDQ). I changed the serpentine belt a couple of years ago. Having another person to help is almost a necessity. You do have to remove the floor panel under the closet frame. You also have to remove the rock guard under the engine (four 9/16" nuts, one 1/2" nut). The idler pulley is accessible from the ground on the road side of the engine. You will need a 1/2" breaker bar to move the pulley and, even then, it's a pull. The old belt will come off fairly easily (you have to thread it across the fan blades). The new one is a little tougher as it has not stretched any, making it a job to get onto the last pulley. The last pulley I put it on is the one on top of the engine, road side. I started it onto the pulley and then "kicked" the starter to work it fully onto the last pulley. It's a little work to change the belt but, knowing what you have done to your coach in the past, you can handle it. Hope this helps.

Joe (Wizzo442)
Joe,

Thanks for the excellent description on how you changed the belt. How many miles did your belt have when you changed it and what shape was it in?

Bob
Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Bob,

I just changed the belt on my 07. I agree with Joe's procedure although I found that releasing the belt tensioner was easier from the top because I had more available "arc" to work with when releasing the tensioner. It helps to have a ratchet-head tool for this so you can maximize the arc.

I did the job alone. I removed the closet doors, the bottom door rail, the rear access cover in the closet and the rock guard. The belt has to be threaded through the fan blades and between the engine crank pulley and motor mount. Some of the threading was done from above and some from below, but otherwise the job is pretty much like replacing a serpentine belt on any vehicle. I think the last pulley I put the belt over was the alternator. The belt pretty much stayed in place as I released the tensioner and slipped the belt over the Alt. pulley.

Next time, I think I will either run the jacks up a couple inches or roll the rear tires up on blocks to give me a little more belly room.
Roy,

I guessed that you may have undertaken this job. What kind of shape was your old belt in? Your coach should have less miles than ours. I will be keeping yours and Joe's description for when I tackle the job. This is one of the maintenance items I wanted to do before next May when we embark on the Alaska journey.

Bob
Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the serpentine belt on our 2005 Endeavor about 6 months ago. Only 24K miles but I was worried about age. The old belt showed some wear but was in pretty good shape. I did the job by myself. Did remove the closet doors and the rear hatch but not the rock shield. I accessed the tensioner from above with a 1/2" drive and as previously stated a ratchet is a big help to get the angle right. I didn't think there was that much tension on it. The only hard part was getting the belt off and back on the lower crankshaft pulley. Perhaps removing the rock guard would have made this easier. Not a bad job really and I know longer worry about the belt breaking and trying to change it along a road somewhere. Good luck with your installation.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Bob:
My coach had 60,000 miles on it when I changed the belt. It was actually not in bad shape, but I changed it prophylactically. I kept it as a spare.

Joe
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,
My coach now has 40,000 miles on it. The old belt was actually in very good shape. I probably should have left well enough alone. I changed it because doing so was no harder than putting the old belt back on and I just don't like putting things back together with used consumable parts.

Roy
Old 11-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
I replaced the serpentine belt on our 2005 Endeavor about 6 months ago. Only 24K miles but I was worried about age. The old belt showed some wear but was in pretty good shape. I did the job by myself. Did remove the closet doors and the rear hatch but not the rock shield. I accessed the tensioner from above with a 1/2" drive and as previously stated a ratchet is a big help to get the angle right. I didn't think there was that much tension on it. The only hard part was getting the belt off and back on the lower crankshaft pulley. Perhaps removing the rock guard would have made this easier. Not a bad job really and I know longer worry about the belt breaking and trying to change it along a road somewhere. Good luck with your installation.
Thanks for the response Bill.

Bob
Old 11-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo442 View Post
Bob:
My coach had 60,000 miles on it when I changed the belt. It was actually not in bad shape, but I changed it prophylactically. I kept it as a spare.

Joe
Good to know. I guess my big concern is the age of the belt and don't think it is wore out. Over the road trucks certainly don't change their belt at 72,000 miles but they can accumulate those miles in a short time.

Bob
Old 11-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Bob,
My coach now has 40,000 miles on it. The old belt was actually in very good shape. I probably should have left well enough alone. I changed it because doing so was no harder than putting the old belt back on and I just don't like putting things back together with used consumable parts.

Roy
I am with you Roy. Kinda like the guy who swam halfway across the river and decided he couldn't make it so turned around. Well maybe that is a poor analogy but if you have gone to all that trouble you might as well put a new one on.

Bob
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Anyone have the part number for an 08 ISL 400? Did anyone have problems routing the belt. It seems it would be difficult to see what you are doing. I replaced my fan blades with the Source fan but did not remove the belt nor did I check to see how hard it would be to change the belt. That was years ago so changing the belt was years away. I would like to change mine before next years trip to Alaska.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote