Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help front brakes won't release

Setting in RV park trying to leave. Been camped here for two weeks and packed up to leave today. Started our diesel and got ready to go and low and behold, the front brakes aren't releasing. This is a 2006 Camelot Diesel w/ RR8S chassis. The rear brakes are releasing ok, but the front ones are not releasing. My air is up on both front and rear, at least according to the gauges. The air ride is up also, both front and rear. Big problem since its Sunday I can't call anybody. I keep thinking I'm missing something but if so I'm at a loss.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Are they disc or drum brakes? I don't know why either would rust to the rotor/drum as they are the front, not back, they shouldn't be engaged while parked. Have you tried 'stabbing' the brake pedal to 'pulse' them free? Another suggestion is to try backing up, that has sometimes released my rear emergency brake in a car that has been parked a long time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have hear of the brake sticking because of rust. I think the suggestion was to use a hammer and rap the front calipers to break them loose.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The front brakes are disk. Are you saying only the rear brakes are applied when the Park Brake Button is applied?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
To have air parking brakes there are spring loaded size of a loaf of bread usally on the rear only?They will rust there metal on metal very quickly they will on my big truck over night,when wet
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes the parking brake is only on the back axle. Your front brakes do not engage when parked. The suggestion to go under (with parking brakes, chocks) and tap on the brake caliper to see if it moves/releases is the next step, after trying to pump pedal and back up.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
How do you know it is the front brakes frozen? It is much more likely to be the rear shoes rusted to the drums while sitting for 2 weeks. Backing up should pop them loose.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Only rear brakes are on the parking brake button. The park brakes are applied by a large spring contained in a cylinder on each rear brake. When you release the parking brakes your air system pushes the spring back inside the cylinder and will begin to release the rear brakes as the air pressure builds above 60#.

The front brakes only apply when you push down on the brake pedal and normally do not stick to the drums or rotors unless the calipers haven't been maintained properly and even then it usually is a front brake dragging and not locked up.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

Try applying and releasing your park brake valve numerous times. If it is your spring brakes ( rear) stuck they might release. When you apply the PP1 valve do you hear the air releasing? How do you know that it is your front brakes that are stuck? When you parked the front brakes should have been free as only the rear are spring brakes. The PP1(park brake valve) can be problematic but usually it is a leak not what you described. Do both of your air gauges show 120 lb. or more? If you understand the brake system and can safely get under your unit with wheels chocked the rear spring brakes can be released manually by "caging" the spring. If you are not familiar with these systems I DO NOT recommend you touch the system. Get a mechanic!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You guys were right. It was the bottom shoe of the rear brakes. I had to crawl in further to see the shoes from the inside. Thankful there are no backing plate like on a car the shoes are visible from this angle. The lower (bottom) shoe was stuck tight against the drum. The top has a slight but visible gap between the drum and shoe. I was able to pry w/ a large screwdriver and rap with a hammer and it popped loose.

Thanks to this forum and guys like you all that helped and gave your thoughts. We'll be on the road in the morning.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to help!! Safe travels!!

Bob & Donna