Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

Help! Headlights won't shut off.

What could we have done? We can't seem to get out headlights to turn off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
YC1

Yr & model? Sounds like a stuck relay. If you have a panel below the driver outside open it and find all the relays that are about 1&1/2 inch square and proabably black. Use the back of a screwdriver to give them a tap or better yet just pull them out one by one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess is that your switch gave out. Can you reach under the dash to find it and jiggle it or look for a loose wire? You could find the fuse and pull it to shut off lights.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #4

Defective , day time running light module ; If equipped.
No fuse in the headlamp circuit, most times a self re-setting circuit breaker, internal to the headlamp switch. DOT doesn't want you have the headlights go out completely in the event of a short they flash on and off to allow you to see and come to a stop. You feel like you just watched a Charley Chaplin movie. Don't ask how I know this.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Monaco, 2007 Exec. Checking and pulling relays now.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Monaco, 2007 Exec. Checking and pulling relays now.
If the relay is stuck on it should be hot, may be easier to track that way.
Disconnect the chassis batteries if nothing else works.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #7

Here are two things that might help. Ours is an '06 Dynasty, and much of the design is similar. See if any of it fits your coach. On ours, the headlight relays and breakers are on board #8, in the front run box. The lower left relay is the high beam relay, and the bottom middle one is the low beam relay. The two devices on the left side of the board are the headlight breakers.

I am attaching a photo of board #8, and a copy of a schematic that I made for the head, tail, run and dash lights on our rig. I don't guarantee its accuracy, but I am positive that it is more accurate than the headlight drawings from Monaco, since they are "typical", and don't reflect many of the model to model and year to year changes.

I, too, am having trouble with my headlights sticking on. Skip426 may be right, too, about it being in the "Canadian Headlight Module" that is mounted on the top of the front run box. I don't know if all of our vintage coaches have that, but they may, and it is the module that provides the daytime headlight function.

Good luck! These problems can be incredibly frustrating to resolve.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #8

Oops, forgot the attachments. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Run Box Board #8.png
Views:	335
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	41246  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Head, Tail, Run and Dash Lights.pdf (75.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #9

This looks like our box as well but it appears breakers are not designed to be pulled individually. For now we have disconnected from battery so we won't get knocks on the door in the middle of the night telling us our lights are on. :-) Guess our next stop will be service.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #10

Take a look at the schematic that I posted, earlier, along with the picture of board #8. The attached picture will show you where the headlight control breaker is located, in the upper left corner of the back wall of the front run box. Assuming it is the low beam lights that are staying on, the only two control devices in that string as shown on my schematic, are the "Canadian Headlight Module", and the Smartwheel controller. Both of those are in the front run box. If you separate the cable plug marked M27, you will be able to determine if the Canadian module is your problem. If you separate the cable plug marked M41, you will be able to determine if the Smartwheel controller is your problem. If it is neither of those, the only thing remaining, other than a damaged wire somewhere, would be relay K2 on board #8, which is the relay just under the clearance lights fuse.

Try pulling those two connectors, one at a time, and if your lights don't go off on one or the other, try tapping fairly solidly on K2, with the handle of a screwdriver, or something.

Please let us all know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03441.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	41363  
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #11

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! We finally found the plug you were referring to and got it out. It was hot to the touch. Now to get a replacement.