Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Help Installing Window

I need to replace a side window on my 2007 HR Neptune. It is the stationary pane of a unit including one sliding pane and one stationary pane. I have obtained the glass and now I need to put it in. It appears to me that if I remove the screws retaining the window assembly on the inside of the coach I may be able to disassemble the parts holding the stationary piece and install the new one without removing the entire window assembly. Has anyone done this task? Is it possible to remove and replace the stationary pane without breaking the outside seal in order to remove the entire window assembly?

Thank You,
Barry
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you could send me some pictures of the window, I may be able to help.
boydk7@mindspring.com
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Barry, If you think you can do the work without removing the window, maybe you could brace it. Tape the outer frame to to the sidewall with a wide roll of painter's tape. You may also be able to park the coach close to a wall or building and fit a 2"x 4" along the top and bottom exterior window frame (length of upper and lower frame) and then wedge the 2"x4" (with a perpendicular piece) against the wall. This would hold the frame tight while you disassembled the interior section.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You may also be able to park the coach close to a wall or building and fit a 2"x 4" along the top and bottom exterior window frame (length of upper and lower frame) and then wedge the 2"x4" (with a perpendicular piece) against the wall. This would hold the frame tight while you disassembled the interior section
WOW Don, thats a great one. It would probably work, but what a visual!!!! I can just see the local news report if an enterprising reporter happens by and sees that..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

Perhaps I need to explain my question a little better. On the inside of the window assembly there is band screwed to the inside wall of the motor home. This band looks like it is not permanently attached to the rest of the assembly. It appears that if I remove the screws the band will separate from the rest of the window assembly. If I remove the band and it comes free of the rest of the assembly will I then be able to remove the other parts of the window assembly allowing the window pane to be removed?

Before starting to take it apart I would like to know if the window assembly is constructed in such a way that it can be disassembled without removing it entirely from the wall. If I need to remove the entire window assembly from the wall I'll do so but it looks like partially disassembling from the inside would be easier, and not require breaking the outer seal.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Barry,
I haven't had to replace any of my insulated glass yet but I don't think that by removing that inner strip will do any good. If you were to remove the entire window then that strip would have to be removed. I think that the center bar needs to be removed to access the fixed glass. It looks like the fixed glass is wrapped in a vinyl glazing bead and pushed into the frame. The center bar is probably screwed in place at the top & bottom and unfortunately is probably only accessible after the window is removed. You might pull up the rubber strip next to that center bar and see if that bar is attached by some other means. Once you remove that center bar you should be able to pull the glass out. You might want to check with a good glass shop and get their input, perhaps you might find one that is familiar with RV windows....Good Luck

Steve
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced my glass on both sides of the coach a couple years ago. I had to remove the entire window. There was no way I could have done that job without removing them. Not to says you can't, but they were a real pain to replace.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Removing the window is probably the only way to change the glass. Being in the window business for many years all windows are constructed with center bars screwed in from the top and bottom. The slider could be removed and replaced without removing the entire window. A good glass shop or RV dealer is the best place to go. Remember to make sure you put the glass on spacers to keep it off of the btm rail. Water on the seal of the window will destroy the best on sealed units in one to two years no matter what anyone says. 40 years in the business.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #9

Thank's for the advice. Removing the entire window assembly sounds like the way to go. I haven't done this particular job before but I've done enough similar tasks to be confident I can manage it.

I wish I could take it to a professional but the only glass shops around here say they can't tackle something like this. At least they're honest enought to admit it. The nearest RV repair facility is a Monaco dealer half a day away whose service is farmed out to Camping World. I took my rig to them for a couple of small warranty items and was completely unimpressed with their service - scratched up the stove top replacing a seal, bent the access door fixing a water leak. I spent as much time repairing what they did as if I had just done the work myself to begin with.