Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Over about 3 days the dual 50 amp breaker has tripped on our MH. Anyone else ever see this happen? I talked to Monaco twice and they were little help. They said one of the AC's was probably overloading but when I asked "Wouldn't one of the 20A AC breakers trip first?". They said both AC's are on the same 50A line which I knew they were not. Since the IOTA is before the breakers I don't think that is causing the problem and the EMS seems to be working correctly. I did find the Neutral wire loose from the neutral bar to the 120v side of the control board. Since then I have not had the main 50A breakers trip which does not make a whole lot of sense. Voltage monitor said the 2 120v lines were about 118v to 120v in both cases. Event happened the last day at one campground and the second day at another. Can someone shed a little light here to help me figure this out?

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Over about 3 days the dual 50 amp breaker has tripped on our MH. Anyone else ever see this happen? I talked to Monaco twice and they were little help. They said one of the AC's was probably overloading but when I asked "Wouldn't one of the 20A AC breakers trip first?". They said both AC's are on the same 50A line which I knew they were not. Since the IOTA is before the breakers I don't think that is causing the problem and the EMS seems to be working correctly. I did find the Neutral wire loose from the neutral bar to the 120v side of the control board. Since then I have not had the main 50A breakers trip which does not make a whole lot of sense. Voltage monitor said the 2 120v lines were about 118v to 120v in both cases. Event happened the last day at one campground and the second day at another. Can someone shed a little light here to help me figure this out?

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did find the Neutral wire loose from the neutral bar to the 120v side of the control board. Since then I have not had the main 50A breakers trip which does not make a whole lot of sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mark,

It kinda makes sense to me. Loose neutral could have added resistance, which would have increased the load. Plus, the neutral is common to both sides of the circuit. Also there would be negligible change in metered voltage under that scenario. If it doesn't happen again, I'd say that was probably the cause.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,
I would have to agree with Robin, and if it happens again I would replace the breaker. I've seen defective CBs that trip due to internal resistance and heat. And that's my two cents.
CC
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

Let me give you another reason the 50amp could be tripping that has nothing to do with ohms law. Our Diplomat 40PDQ has the closet with the mirrored sliding doors at the rear wall of the coach. Our main AC input breaker panel is located inside that closet at the top on the driver's side. We were having some 50 amp main trips that did not make any sense at all. It took awhile but I finally discovered that sometimes the curb side closet door would catch the 50 amp breaker, turning it off, when we opened and closed the door. I fixed the problem by limiting about 1.5 inches of the door travel by inserting a piece of wood in the bottom door track. This may not be your problem but thought I would throw the experience out there as it may help someone with a coach like ours.

By the way, the most common cause of circuit breaker trips other than an over load is heat developed at the breaker by lose connections. What causes a breaker to trip is heat produced by the current flow. Heat produced at the breaker in addition to the intended heat at the trip element will de-rate the breakers trip value. Loose connections produce heat because of additional resistance to the current flow. This additional resistance will not produce much heat at low current flow but when demand is high, like when multiple air conditioners are running, the heat can become significant.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:

mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks to all and good tips. Breaker has not tripped in 3 days and not sure what I did to resolve the problem (if I did). In addition to the loose neutral I also reset the breakers (power disconnected) and tighen the connections.

Bob, my door clearence is ok, I checked it. You are right about heat and loose connections causing breaker trips. When I'm out today I'm going to HD or Lowe's and buy a spare.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #7

Remember that the wiring on our coaches requires the neutral to carry a large load when unbalanced conditions exist. The neutral must be sized for a full 50 amp load. This is different from a normal 220V wiring setup since we are essentially two 110V legs running from a 220V system.

In summary, the neutral leg of our wiring is VERY important. A loose neutral could cause a lot of problems.

Good luck with yours.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote