Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Joe

Sorry to hear about your slide. It's something I don't know much about.
Where are you heading for the next 2 weeks? I just left Raleigh NC and now In Atlanta GA for a couple of days. Then heading more west. Maybe New Orleans.
Then to Texas.
Rick

Hi Rick! We're going to Natchez, MS for a family reunion, then across to Slidell to visit our son and his family, then down to Pensacola to visit two grandsons, then who knows from there!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I'm gonna get some shuteye now and tackle this problem again in the morning!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe....call me. I sent you a PM with my number if you didn't save it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

Have you lubed the two slide-out locks on each end of the slide? If they are very stiff, they can hangup when moving the slide out or in.

If you don't have some already, buy a can of Tri-Flo lube and spay a generous amount in the top of the locking mechanism until it's dripping out the bottom. Then using a pair of vise grips, lock onto the metal tab at the bottom and start working it up and back until everything is freed up and working smoothly. Then spray some more and give it a good coating.

You should lubricate the locks a minimum of twice per year and it would be better if more frequent.

Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant - 4oz Aerosol : Amazon.com : Automotive

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Joe,

Have you lubed the two slide-out locks on each end of the slide? If they are very stiff, they can hangup when moving the slide out or in.

If you don't have some already, buy a can of Tri-Flo lube and spay a generous amount in the top of the locking mechanism until it's dripping out the bottom. Then using a pair of vise grips, lock onto the metal tab at the bottom and start working it up and back until everything is freed up and working smoothly. Then spray some more and give it a good coating.

You should lubricate the locks a minimum of twice per year and it would be better if more frequent.

Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant - 4oz Aerosol : Amazon.com : Automotive

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, are you talking about the two aluminum brackets at the bottom of the slide?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #20

Re: Richard's suggestion to check & lube slide locks, look at the 2nd post in this thread for a schematic of the slide lock mechanism.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cabl...se-154662.html
Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorp View Post
Re: Richard's suggestion to check & lube slide locks, look at the 2nd post in this thread for a schematic of the slide lock mechanism.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cabl...se-154662.html

Byron, I checked the slide locks and there is not much movement of the aluminum bracket. Is is supposed to move 90 degrees?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Richard, are you talking about the two aluminum brackets at the bottom of the slide?
Joe,

You should see a shiny tab sticking out from beneath an oddly shaped black cover that runs from the top to bottom of the slide at each end. Inside is your slide lock mechanism. Using the vise grips lock it onto the tab and try to move it fist down and then back up.

Look at the side of your coach and you should see a heavy metal SS plate. That is what the tab will hit first when moving the slide in. It will then expose an arm that hits another plate mounted on the inside wall of your coach. That is what locks your slide from moving out when underway.

If your locks do NOT move, it does take some umph to move them, then they are either frozen or VERY stiff and need to be lubricated.

Thorp gave you the link to what the slide lock looks like on the inside of the black cover but oriented vertically.

Hopefully you didn't do any damage to the slide or slide mechanisms. If by chance you have gotten the slide out of sync from one end to the other, I would suggest that you take it to an expert to re-sync.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Joe,

You should see a shiny tab sticking out from beneath an oddly shaped black cover that runs from the top to bottom of the slide at each end. Inside is your slide lock mechanism. Using the vise grips lock it onto the tab and try to move it fist down and then back up.

Look at the side of your coach and you should see a heavy metal SS plate. That is what the tab will hit first when moving the slide in. It will then expose an arm that hits another plate mounted on the inside wall of your coach. That is what locks your slide from moving out when underway.

If your locks do NOT move, it does take some umph to move them, then they are either frozen or VERY stiff and need to be lubricated.

Thorp gave you the link to what the slide lock looks like on the inside of the black cover but oriented vertically.

Hopefully you didn't do any damage to the slide or slide mechanisms. If by chance you have gotten the slide out of sync from one end to the other, I would suggest that you take it to an expert to re-sync.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, the aluminum bracket at the bottom is loose and will move maybe an inch but that's all. Is it supposed to move 90 degrees or so?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I see how it works now. I used pliers and pulled the bottom bracket down as it would be as the slide goes in. The top bracket came out of the cover when I moved the bottom bracket down, so it appears this is working correctly. The locks on both sides of the slide feel about the same, and I checked them against the locks on the passenger side slide and they work the same. Looks like I'm back to square one now!

There are no shear pins on the shafts coming out of the motor gear box in the center, just bolts & nuts.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
May or may not be the case , but I had a slide not working properly a while back, turned out it was the slide topper getting hung up and not rolling out properly, something to maybe look at.
Bob, I think you've found my problem! The curved metal arm that supports the slide topper tube is bent back toward the side of the MH at least a couple of inches! What did you figure out was causing it to hang and what did you do to correct the problem?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excell View Post
I wonder if some thing could have gotten under it from inside and is jamming up under there. I don't know if that is possible but it is some thing to check .
Yes it is possible. I had some AA batteries rolling around and that is where I found them.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Our metal arms require you to manually unlatch each end before extending the slide. I have 2 spares if you can use some "slightly" bent by appx 1/2".
I have since replaced them with straight ones as the inside was rubbing on the drip rail. If this is what you need they are not easily obtained so PM me if you wish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N02_6736.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	36196

Click image for larger version

Name:	N02_6737.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	36197
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Joe - check the DeWald slide locks - if the internal springs break (happened to me) the upper part of the lock will not retract and will stop the slide or make a really loud bang.

As the lower arm releases from the stop the upper should be fully retracted (not visible behind the plastic cover.

Alan
02 Windsor
Beaverton, Or.
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote