RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help! Mayday! S.o.s. Emergency!

I've got a BIG problem and need help ASAP! I have a slideout problem with our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT. Today I took the MH out for a spin and when I got back the slideout on the driver's side would only go out a few inches and stop! As it started out I heard a loud noise like something hung up then let go in the slide. A single electric motor has shafts going out to gears on each side of the slide. The gears look good and I lubed them just to be sure. After messing with it a while, it will go all the way out but makes loud noises and I can see the slide jerk like it's hanging on something. I checked the top of the slide and the sides and can't see anything that could be causing the problem.

Have any of you had this problem with your Monaco? I will call Monaco tech support tomorrow but wanted to get your input first.

The emergency is that we are supposed to leave Friday morning on a 2-week trip!

I would really appreciate any ideas you can give me!

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Joe
I just went through problems with my Diplomat - a little different in that the slide would not go out or in all the time and I thought it was an electrical problem but it turned out that the bolts holding the motor to the brackets had loosened and some had come out. In addition the shear bolt driving the rear section had broken but not all the way out so would still drive. Replaced the missing bolts and tightened the loose ones - replaced the shear bolt ( notice it is a grade 8 ) and all seems to be well so you might want to have a good look at the motor
Mike D

Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So sorry to hear. What make is your system ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I wonder if some thing could have gotten under it from inside and is jamming up under there. I don't know if that is possible but it is some thing to check .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

Crawl under and watch the slide while your wife presses the button
on the inside of the MH. Maybe you can tell where it is binding and causing
the jerking motion.
And I don't think it will fall on you and kill you.

(I added that because some of the nannies here will surely tell you how
dangerous that will be.....)

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'll inspect the gears again in the morning for loose bolts, but I looked pretty close and didn't see anything unusual.

As for the type of system, I don't have a clue.

I can get under there and watch the gears by bypassing the switches on the bay doors. The slides will not operate with a bay door open.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
May or may not be the case , but I had a slide not working properly a while back, turned out it was the slide topper getting hung up and not rolling out properly, something to maybe look at.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe......If you look inside the bay, at the end of the geared rail, threr is a motor turning an arm with a shear pin in it. Check the pins at the end of both rails and the bolts holding the assemblies in. Also check that during your drive, nothing shifted and is interfering with the mechanism in the bay.

If you can't see the end of both slide rails in the bay, you can sometimes look through the wheel well and remove a cover plate. Good Luck
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Some slide out motors have a brake built into the end of the motor to hold the slide in place when the motor is not running but when powered up the brake releases. I had one that the brake would stick causing the slide to jerk. A sprayed a little WD40 on the linkage and freed it up. Good Luck
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Joe......If you look inside the bay, at the end of the geared rail, threr is a motor turning an arm with a shear pin in it. Check the pins at the end of both rails and the bolts holding the assemblies in. Also check that during your drive, nothing shifted and is interfering with the mechanism in the bay.

If you can't see the end of both slide rails in the bay, you can sometimes look through the wheel well and remove a cover plate. Good Luck
Don, on my MH there is one motor under the center of the slide, with shafts going out both directions to gears that mesh with the cogs on the rails. Would these pins be that the gear mechanisms or at the motor?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
May or may not be the case , but I had a slide not working properly a while back, turned out it was the slide topper getting hung up and not rolling out properly, something to maybe look at.
Bob, that's one possibility I had not even considered! I will check it in the morning! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timex View Post
Some slide out motors have a brake built into the end of the motor to hold the slide in place when the motor is not running but when powered up the brake releases. I had one that the brake would stick causing the slide to jerk. A sprayed a little WD40 on the linkage and freed it up. Good Luck
I'll sure check that out! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excell View Post
I wonder if some thing could have gotten under it from inside and is jamming up under there. I don't know if that is possible but it is some thing to check .
Darrel, I looked at the rail really close but couldn't see anything jamming it!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe

Sorry to hear about your slide. It's something I don't know much about.
Where are you heading for the next 2 weeks? I just left Raleigh NC and now In Atlanta GA for a couple of days. Then heading more west. Maybe New Orleans.
Then to Texas.
Rick

Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote