Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

HELP! My husband is on the verge of driving our Monaco into a lake!

Hello Everyone,
I pray one of you can help me. My husband and I purchased a 2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ in February, sold our house Oct 5th and have been full-timers ever since. We are experiencing serious yet sporadic electrical problems.

Now, this could be a coincidence, however, I think the beginning of our problems began when my husband jump-started the chassis batteries. They were weak and we couldn't start the coach, so he jump-started them with a portable battery charger. Well, he ended up cooking the batteries and they were smoking and bubbling. We, of course, have replaced them.

Since then the electric would make a "clunk" sound and power off sometimes with just the touch of even a light switch. Then other times I can run the air, dryer, washer, tv, microwave oven, etc. all at the same time and nothing happens.

Yesterday was really bad, we had to keep using the cut-off switch by the door to get things up and running again. It happened several times in a row and then a few times here and there during the day.

When we first experienced the problem, we called Magnum/Intellitec and spoke to a very knowledgeable technician by the name of Chris. He explained that the “two systems” in the Monaco do not work well together as they age, and he installed a Multiplex Control Master to separate the “two systems.” Things worked for a while, but then he said there could still be problems that he was unaware of. He said that there was nothing wrong with the cut off switch and that it was doing what it needed to do.

Also, coincidently our middle A/C unit “popped” and started smoking, the captain’s chairs, when I touched the switch to recline it, “popped,” and stopped working, I touched the doorbell and it wouldn’t stop ringing. I feel like I’m in the 1980’s movie the “Money Pit.”

We are currently in South Florida and would not object to traveling most any where in the Southeast. I really don’t want to go where it is freezing, and something blows, and everything freezes. Does anyone know of an excellent electrician they could refer us to? I have faith that if we resolve the electrical issue(s) we will have a very nice coach and can live happily ever after.

I thank you all in advance.
Emonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 07:13 PM   #2

Sorry to read of the problems. To me it does sound like the batteries were jump-started and charge backwards/reverse polarity. That can cause al manner of 12V problems.
Perhaps some large dealers repair shop can accurately diagnose and fix the problems. I was thinking of North Trail RV or similar size company that guarantees their workmanship.
Explain you are full-timers when/if you call any repair service, including mobile.
That's the best I have to offer- best wishes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Parked in the southwest?

Have you been parked for a long period of time in the southwest US? There are pack rats that love to eat the insulation off of electrical wires. Bait. Light over the engine. Traps. All good for sitting around in desert areas.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

Actually, that's funny you mention North Trail RV. That is where I bought the unit. They however, do not work on Monacos. They only deal with the new items they sell. They are very nice and their salesmen were very nice. They kept in touch long after the purchase. Thank you for
Old 10-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
Have you been parked for a long period of time in the southwest US? There are pack rats that love to eat the insulation off of electrical wires. Bait. Light over the engine. Traps. All good for sitting around in desert areas.
I haven't been in the Southwest. I was mostly in Long Island, Pittsburgh, Ohio, Texas for 2 days and onward to Florida where I am currently. I am careful about storing food in sealed containers and I have a dog. Hopefully, I didn't pick up any stowaways
Old 10-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If you like the guy that sold it to then I would give him a call.
Surely he/ they can direct you to a shop that can work on your rig.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry to hear your going through all these problems!

You can't diagnose a failing battery cut-off solenoid over the phone, or internet.

The doorbell thing isn't related to your problems. Monaco screwed up in these years and ran the power thru the button. The fix for this is to add a standard relay, and get a better power supply for the bell. You can find this on the Trimark website here....

https://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/media...20Fix_Rev3.pdf
Old 10-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emonaghan View Post
Hello Everyone,
I pray one of you can help me. ...
The Lord works in mysterious ways. I believe it is God's plan to keep full timers occupied with RV electrical systems.

I was blessed when I retired and we went full time to have heathen IBEW friends who were also retired. We could drink beer and work on Electrical issues associated with ould RV while the the church ladies study the bible.

In a matter of no time your hubby will be wrong just as often as those good electricians.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Can you check the voltage at the battery output? It's possible they miswired the batteries in series which would put them at 24v instead of 12.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
If you like the guy that sold it to then I would give him a call.
Surely he/ they can direct you to a shop that can work on your rig.
If I were to get into your problem as others have said if the current problems began after the jump start. There are two avenues first what caused the batteries to be discharged if there were just old understandable but if not determining what caused them to be discharged should be investigated. Are you sure it was the Chassis batteries you tried to charge and if positive and negative leed were reversed from a charger there should have been an mediated problem and the protective circuit in the charger should have kicked it off. If you are sure is was the chassis batteries that were miss charged there should not have caused problems with House batteries, However some of the problems you mention are directly associated with functions of the House batteries. Most everything is controlled by the 12v system exceptions AC Microwave 120 volt outlets. Examples of need for 12v The thermostat(s) for AC are 12v and no 12v to the thermostat(s) no signal to turn AC on. Lights are all 12V Refrigerator relays on 12v to switch from AC to gas and if gas is selected the igniter will not work without 12 v. So into the 12v system there are a series of multi breakers, different from fuses and some will reset on their own and some will need to be manually reset. So possible reason for stuff to work some time and not others. The cut off switch you mention is turning the 12v off and on. Which will reset some the breakers and solenoids.
If you are not familiar with a multi meter and how to use it you definitely need to have a mechanic check it out. Look for a mobile mechanic tell him/her what the problem is and they should repeat some of what i mentioned some of what I have said. The electrical system is all coaches are mostly the same, except for Winnebago and they to their own thing. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Can you check the voltage at the battery output? It's possible they miswired the batteries in series which would put them at 24v instead of 12.
Right.

That wouldn't be good!
Old 11-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emonaghan View Post

We are currently in South Florida and would not object to traveling most any where in the Southeast.
I thank you all in advance.
Where in South Fl are you now ?
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's a website you can you can use to locate someone that might be able to help you.

RV Service Reviews
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #14

RV electrical systems can be complicated...basically, you have three separate systems: 1-12v chassis [the bats you replaced]; 2-12v house which run many lights and some appliances; and 3-120v shore power/generator….while separate systems, some appliances use both 12v and 120v to operate, eg, roof ACs and inverter...battery replacement can often be a source of major issues if improperly installed.....if the bat were/are mis-wired, it will take significant electrical background [preferably RV experience] to sort this all out....perhaps your salesman can recommend someone...
PS--you probably don't want to hear this but if it is a battery mis-wire issue and they are still mis-wired, you should disconnect the effected batteries right away, pending a professional diagnosis, to avoid any further damage....IMHO.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco