Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
od1

Question Help new coach owners

Just purchased a 2002 Monaco Signature Series Empress 45ft. motorcoach and have no clue on how to run/operate most things in the motorcoach. Ie: the inverter, the air conditioners, can start the generator but it shuts down after about 5 min running, tried hooking to shore power and could not get the air conditioners to run.
We have a book on the motorcoach and a lot of other reading material but it is so much information it seems we follow instructions but must be missing out on some step or two because we do not have much luck with operating components within the coach.
Does anyone have any video's on operating the coach or very simplified instructions with pictures.
Any useful information will be greatly appreciated, be nice we are newbees.
od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

Only 6 weeks ago we were in almost the same boat. This site helps tremendously. I suggest pick one question / problem at a time. Search this site for that particlar topic. A lot has been discussed before and is a good place to start. Then just pick a related forum (owner's, tech, etc) and jump in with questions. Good luck. You will solve questions quickly. I am now known as the "poop princess", and the solver of all things Dish sat, fridge, generator........ I don't know it all by far, but compared to 6 weeks ago I have come a looonnnngggg way.
frazierdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

Here are two that have a bunch of videos both free to watch and DVD's to buy. I have looked at all of them and bought a few.

BetterRVing - Experience better Rving

RV Education 101 - videos, DVDs, books and information for RVers

RVcruzer.com - Home Page

The rvcruzer site has a bunch of great information about maintenance, electrical, etc.

You will find many more websites. I feel like I have a degree in RV'ing after spending untold hours on the web looking for the same things you are looking for. It takes time.

Also, go on youtube.com and look up RVGeeks videos. Very instructional with some great tips about a number of things.

Learn to Google things you would like to know more about. Like "RV 12 volt systems", or "RV maintenance", etc. You will have more to read than you care to shake a sewer hose at.

Good luck,

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new toy! I'm sure you will have a great time in it. Question - did you get a walk through from whoever you purchased it from?
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It takes a while and a few outings to get it. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
od1,
WRT "tried hooking to shore power and could not get the air conditioners to run", is your shore-power 50amps?...or 30? This much is needed to successfully run the A/Cs. If you are just plugged into a 15A home circuit...get the idea?

Now, if you do have 30 or 50 -amp shore power, be patient. Our A/Cs don't turn on immediately. There is a time delay (90 seconds or so). And of course, your thermostat must be turned ON.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
On the generator if it's running on diesel it will not run long after starting if your MH fuel tank is at 1/4 full or less. Also, it will shut down if the oil level is low or if the coolant level is low.

As someone else said, for your a/c's to run you must be plugged into 50amp shore power. You can run one a/c on 30 amp shore power. Any shore power less then 30amp will not run your MH a/c's. Also beware, DO NOT PLUG YOUR MH INTO ANY HOME 220 plug, such as your home dryer. This will fry a lot of your electrical items. I would advise that if you don't have a 50amp surge protector get one as soon as possible. Not all rv parks are wired correctly. These things cost 350.00 or more, but the first time it saves you it has more then paid for itself. Case in point, for the last 5 years we have parked in the same space at a Mobile Home Park, in March I plugged in my Surge Protector just like before and it shut the power off going to the MH, the code showed an open ground. Be sure to get the one that protects from High and Low voltage. Mine is made by Progressive Model EMS-PT50C. It can also be used on a 30amp plug by using your pig tail.
Enjoy your MH and if you have a question, just ask.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
od1

no walk through is really wasn't an option i don't think they knew what they were doing and besides that we don't really care for the people we got it from. it was a in and out kind of deal in a different state then where we reside.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
od1

Thanks for responding we were hooked up to 50amp and at the extension cord we were showing 240 volts
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If your thermostats have the fan speed set on auto it takes my Signature about 3 - 5 minutes to turn on. I think they check to see if the voltage is stable before starting. If it is set on low or high it turns on faster.

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
If you happen to get to the Pismo Beach area, I would be happy to spend some time with you. Send me a personal message if you do.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #12

We have a 02 Empress.

Check your private messages.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to saduncan1
Camping World offers a coach familiarization, you can check with the one near you and see if they can help. My wife and I did this with the one in the Seattle area and it helped quite a bit. The young man was very knowledgeable, a lot of systems to remember!!!