Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

Help Please - Looking for Hydraulic Cooling Fan Information ONLY.

Hello Everyone,

I could use some help.
My name is Tony. I'm a retired ASE and US Army mechanic. I recently turned 60 and we also became debt free; Thanks to God.

All I need right now; is the size "dimensions" of the FAN and maybe the Radiator on your DP with a Hydraulic Fan.
If possible, can you please provide a picture of at least the Fan?
It can help me to picture how things are mounted.

I have a need and I want to build a custom Hydraulic Cooling Fan to get our unique and modified RV back on the road where it belongs and so we can use it.

I'm under a deadline: (I have a trip in June)
I would like to be able to take this RV.
However, I need to buy, install everything and test it before the end of MAY at the latest.

I'm having a hard time trying to get just these measurements.

Thank you.
UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Hi there. If not Monaco-specific, I can send you the data on my fan (side rad, 330CAT). Otherwise, the fast way to suss it out will be to go to your local used Monaco lot and ask if you can wave a yardstick and camera at the engine compartments of a few coaches. Then you can quickly compare variants and get close with any details you need.

When I approach a lot with that sort of request for exploring and ideas, they generally shake their heads sympathetically, make "He's harmless, bless his heart" noises to the folks near them, and point me at the row of used coaches.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Hi there. If not Monaco-specific, I can send you the data on my fan (side rad, 330CAT). Otherwise, the fast way to suss it out will be to go to your local used Monaco lot and ask if you can wave a yardstick and camera at the engine compartments of a few coaches. Then you can quickly compare variants and get close with any details you need.

When I approach a lot with that sort of request for exploring and ideas, they generally shake their heads sympathetically, make "He's harmless, bless his heart" noises to the folks near them, and point me at the row of used coaches.

Thank you.

I'd do it myself - If things were not so far away and so few to find, around this neck of the woods. Grin
Old 02-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #4

Hmmm. I found another thread with pics of your rig. The hydro fan on my side radiator rig would sink you in a number of ways -- size, weight, complexity, and power budget come to mind immediately. I'll get you the dimensions, but I think your problem is bigger than a fan. I think you might have to completely redesign the cooling system . . . .

While you wait, have you looked into similar vehicles that have a rear, water-cooled engine? Perhaps not the same scale, but the VW waterboxers and the various conversions (my kid did a Ford conversion) have similar, unique issues (can you use those two words like that?). They hang the radiator in front and pipe the coolant the length of the vehicle.

Another application with interesting cooling issues is inboard marine engines. They run heat exchangers and a separate coolant system to cool the coolant. Some of them augment water cooling by externally cooling the oil, too.

Stand by for measurements . . .
Old 02-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

The fan is mounted behind the radiator stack in the left rear corner of the chassis, facing left. It is mounted to the chassis rail. Its blade diameter is ~26". Depth is ~16" from the front of the blades to the end of the rear fittings. It is well cowled. The view is down the access hatch through the bedroom floor. So you're looking at the top of the fan motor.

One reason you're getting so few responses with measurements is that DP fans is are a very difficult place to access for casual measurements. Mine could be off an inch in any direction. Hope this is what you wanted, and good luck with the project! I'm out . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator fan 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	666.4 KB
ID:	275902  
Old 02-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
The fan is mounted behind the radiator stack in the left rear corner of the chassis, facing left. It is mounted to the chassis rail. Its blade diameter is ~26". Depth is ~16" from the front of the blades to the end of the rear fittings. It is well cowled. The view is down the access hatch through the bedroom floor. So you're looking at the top of the fan motor.

One reason you're getting so few responses with measurements is that DP fans is are a very difficult place to access for casual measurements. Mine could be off an inch in any direction. Hope this is what you wanted, and good luck with the project! I'm out . . .

Yes. Thank you..

I believe that I do have room for 26" fan and a custom shroud.
But I'll have to go measure it, when it's not so cold and some more snow has melted. Grin

FYI - I'm trying to get as much figured out now, so that when the weather is better, I can finish this part of the project much faster and have enough time to road test it and fix anything I might find, before taking a long 11-12 hours trip in June.

I'm guessing that would make your radiator about 32 or 33" wide and maybe 30 to 32" tall.
That I don't think there is enough room for. But I'll measure it again, as my memory is not that good.

Thank you again for your time and help.

Sincerely, Tony
Old 02-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

We are having a heatwave this morning. It's 38f and sunny. LOL

I might go out there in the snow and try to get some measurements for the hundredth time, in the past 8+ years.

But this time, I'll write them down somewhere good and not misplace them. LOL @ me.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Attached is the parts breakdown for my radiator cooling fan. It has part numbers but most are hard to find due to age, but can be substituted with newer parts. Also attached is a copy of the hydraulic pump parts page.

My coach is a side radiator with lots of room. The radiator assembly also includes a CAC.

There is a thermovalve mounted in the top of the radiator that senses temp and controls the fan hydraulic speed, it is listed on the parts at the bottom. My fan starts running at a higher speed at ~180F and reaches full speed at ~195F and is proportional to temp, higher temp>>higher speed.

There is a large hydraulic pump mounted on the back of the compressor that provides the pressure/fluid. There is also a large reservoir for the fluid. I have read that the HP requirements for the cooling fan are pretty high. I know when my thermovalve failed and my fan was running high speed fuel consumption was higher, didn't take me long to decide I needed to fix.

This may give you some idea of the system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Engine Fan Cooling.pdf (78.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf 1 Hyrdrualic Pump.pdf (75.3 KB, 56 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #9

Jim, Thank you so much. It's greatly appreciated..

Very nice (clean) setup you have there.

(Please Disregard the next question. I have since found the info in the online manual for your coach. It states that it uses AFT.)
If I may ask: What kind of fluid does your Hydraulic system use?
(Some use Hydraulic fluid, some light weight oil and some can use ATF.)

Sincerely, Tony
PS. I might PM you if that's okay...
Old 02-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

I finally dragged myself out in the cold and snow. Grin
In some places it was deeper than my boots.

Anyways, I stood in the deep snow and cold and I got the 2 measurements that I wanted.

The area where I plan to put the radiator is 33.5" wide and 32.5" tall.

So I should be able to fit a custom 30" by 30" radiator and have the space for other stuff to pass by on either side without any issues.

What size is the radiator in your DP?

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a drawing of my radiator, it also shows the cooling fan.

I had to have the radiator replace back in 2015, road debris. I bought a new radiator from CG&J out of Alabama for ~$2500.

You might be able to go to a salvage yard and and get a decent size one cheap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Radiator Schematic.pdf (314.4 KB, 41 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #12

Jim,

Thanks so much for the drawing with measurements. Most helpful.

I meant to ask earlier:
Is the fan motor bracket, the original one, from your year and model coach?

Tony
Old 02-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A picture of a friends (Will B) hydraulic fan assembly. He has a Detroit 60 Series 515hp engine and it uses one large fan.
It doesn't look like the mount bracket would be too hard to fabricate.

Northwest RV Supply has a good selection of hydraulic fan motors.
Hydraulic Fan Motors: nwrvsupply.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic fan assembly.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	276016  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
A picture of a friends (Will B) hydraulic fan assembly. He has a Detroit 60 Series 515hp engine and it uses one large fan.
It doesn't look like the mount bracket would be too hard to fabricate.

Northwest RV Supply has a good selection of hydraulic fan motors.
Hydraulic Fan Motors: nwrvsupply.com
Thank you.
Do you happen to know the diameter of that fan?
I need the diameter to know if I can even use something like that.

My guess is that it might be too big.
FYI - It has 12 blades vs the 9 blade 26" that has already been shared.

Tags
cooling, fan, hydraulic