Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #1

Help with 01 Diplomat fridge replacement...please help!

I've searched and searched the threads and see a lot of people have replaced their Norcold 1200 with a Samsung residential fridge.

We have an 01 36' Diplomat and over the winter the fridge went kaput...it was just sitting and started to leak ammonia.

After our local Monaco dealer gave me a $10,000.00 estimate to replace the dead Norcold 1200, we decided residential is the way we'd like to go. We could try replacing the cooling unit but from what I read that could prove costly in the long run.

Problem is that the furnace is under our fridge limiting our options.

Hoping someone has already been through this and would be willing to share what they learned.

I have no problem with the idea of not having a 3 way fridge but don't want to rip out the furnace.

Thanks in advance!
Elaine and Clarence
01 36' Monaco Diplomat
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
A lot of RV's have the furnace below the fridge, and they still installed a residential fridge above it. You have to measure to see what will fit. You will need to make sure you have a good inverter and battery bank to power the fridge when not on shore power or gen. You will need to make sure you can get the new fridge into the MH. I'd suggest going with the Norcold conversion. A lot of folks have, and they are happy with it.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
Seems that the furnace really limits our options for fridge height. That's why I'm hoping other Monaco owners will chime in.
Is the conversion you mention the Amish cooling unit?
Some people are unhappy with it but I haven't seen anyone regret going residential.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If your Diplomat has the same headroom as mine it can be done but it ain't easy.

Here's a thread I did Sept 2019 when I replaced mine with a Samsung. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sam...ne-461001.html

I had to get every bit of headroom I could, meaning I had to lower the furnace. It was resting on a piece of plywood elevated ~1 5/8" above the floor, this provided a gap to run the propane line from the right to the left for the refrigerator.

I got advice from a couple of IRV2 members. Let me know if you have any questions.

Finally got to give mine a test last week, did great, I had almost a full bin of ice cubes after 2 days and the fridge and freezer stayed nice and cold. No more worries about spoiled food.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:18 AM   #5

I elected to go with the Fisher & Paykel fridge because of my opening size. Once I had the old norcold 1200 out, I run the furnace to check how much heat it produced on the outside of the box and you could lay your hand on top without a problem. I had to lower the floor to 1/2" over the top of my furnace to have enough for the height. I am very pleased and think this is one of the best upgrades I have made. I had to take the doors off of the fridge and the passenger seat out to get it to fit through the door.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #6

Helped a friend last summer not a bog deal the old fridge sat on a plywood platform above the heater we lowered it about 2 inches, capped off the gas line,there are 2 120volt receptacles in the back one is on the inverter ones not make sure you plug new fridge in inverter power. Removed front passenger and unbolted door arm at top of door so it will swing all the way .
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniedmo View Post
I elected to go with the Fisher & Paykel fridge because of my opening size. Once I had the old norcold 1200 out, I run the furnace to check how much heat it produced on the outside of the box and you could lay your hand on top without a problem. I had to lower the floor to 1/2" over the top of my furnace to have enough for the height. I am very pleased and think this is one of the best upgrades I have made. I had to take the doors off of the fridge and the passenger seat out to get it to fit through the door.
Did you need to lower your furnace at all? What year/model is your coach?
Old 06-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If your Diplomat has the same headroom as mine it can be done but it ain't easy.

Here's a thread I did Sept 2019 when I replaced mine with a Samsung. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sam...ne-461001.html

I had to get every bit of headroom I could, meaning I had to lower the furnace. It was resting on a piece of plywood elevated ~1 5/8" above the floor, this provided a gap to run the propane line from the right to the left for the refrigerator.

I got advice from a couple of IRV2 members. Let me know if you have any questions.

Finally got to give mine a test last week, did great, I had almost a full bin of ice cubes after 2 days and the fridge and freezer stayed nice and cold. No more worries about spoiled food.
We just don't seem to have anywhere near enough room to lower the furnace. It's also on a platform which can be removed but how do we modify the access from outside? Do you have any pictures of the furnace?
Old 06-03-2021, 04:21 AM   #9

No I never had to lower my furnace but that is why it is only 1/2" between my new floor and the furnace. You really have to check your measurements close to determine what will fit and the fit will be really close. There is a fridge that will fit, just may be something other than the samsung.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #10

What would your local Monaco dealer charge for installing your residential fridge?? They (or another competent RV service place) has probably installed dozens, and they'll know what has to be moved, and how, and where... Maybe a pro install is the way to go. On my old Fleetwood Expedition (2002) the fridge was about $1K from Lowes and the installation by my RV guy was another $1K.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
We just don't seem to have anywhere near enough room to lower the furnace. It's also on a platform which can be removed but how do we modify the access from outside? Do you have any pictures of the furnace?

This is what I did, refrigerator barely clears the top of the furnace when I push it in. Not sure why the picture is upside down but you can see the small gap. The picture showing the heavy conduit struts was when I was test fitting, when I was sure it would fir I added extra blocking at the back. I also added blocks on the back and side to hold the refrigerator centered and help guide in place.

If you don't have enough room from the top of the furnace to the ceiling you will have to settle for a smaller refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	330641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	330642  

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diplomat, fridge, norcold, replace, replacement, residential refrigerator, samsung