Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The 2 pole breaker is essentially 2 breakers combined into one. Ours is the same. It has tripped in the past and is one of the first things we look at if we have a problem. One pole will power one AC unit and the other pole will power the 2nd AC unit.

Out of habit when I'm inspecting the generator I will flip both poles off and then on to make sure they are both firmly on.

Have you confirmed whether you have the EMS system that sheds load. If so this is probably what is shutting down one of the AC units.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Lot of good ideas and suggestions on the OP's issue's but the Real issue is He or no one can run 2 A/C's on 30 Amp service Efficiently .
His Genny as stated is a 7.5 KW with a 35 amp Breaker should do the job as in no microwave or Coffee pot or Hair dryers ect. You get it.
I hope they are in cooler weather by now and if they have time to call the MFG of their coach and ask the questions to them.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
30 amp simply can not run both A/Cs I modified my rig so I can do it but it is not something you can likely do on site.. Sorry

If the A/Cs are clean (Condenser coils mostly) and you have nothing (Fridge, Water heater) on and the batteries are full up there is a chance, but at 100 degrees out the chances are Slim and None and Slim is out of town.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again for all your help.
Hooked up to 50 amp now and both working well.
Haven't tried running them off the genny, will try tomorrow when I get home.

What a great trip this has been, even getting through last night.
I love our Monaco.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear things took a turn for the better.

Please post if you do find what the problem/solution was. Things like that make for a good learning experience for everyone.

Safe travels.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Glad to hear things took a turn for the better.

Please post if you do find what the problem/solution was. Things like that make for a good learning experience for everyone.

Safe travels.
I am with you!
I hate it when someone has an issue, folks spend 2 pages trying to help and the OP never responds if the dang problem was ever fixed or how it was fixed.

The original issue seemed to have started when I had tried to run both ac's on 30 amp. That wasn't happening, its 110 degrees in the RV and 105 outside after a long day of driving.
So plugged into 30 amp, both ac's on and I start the Gen.
Something somewhere goes sideways and it trips the breaker in the bedroom cabinet for the front ac. There was a noticeable, "what the heck" when the gen kicked in. Should have shut off the ac, before starting gen.

Run rear ac all night off of the 30 amp to have some degree of relief.
(Turned off breaker in cabinet to front ac).
Seemed like the front ac would not get cold, just blew air.

Next night we have 50 amp and all works fine, both ac's blow cold.
Still concerned about gen and front ac.

Next day I start the gen and it takes a while for it to light up the board. Maybe thats normal, I havent watched it that close before.
Have the front gen on and yes it comes on and is blowing cold air all the way home.

I believe somehow I just overloaded the system in extremely hot weather and it had to all be brought back slowly. One at a time.

I am going to have the ac's looked at as was suggested in this thread.

The microwave did not come on with the gen running so I am thinking we still have some sorting out to do.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
So glad you got it resolved. And many thanks for the update, that's something we've probably all experienced (or will ) down the road.

I'm convinced that sometimes these wonder-machines 'just do weird things'. Certainly, there's going to be a detailed engineering answer as to exactly why, but for us mortals it may be beyond our simple grasp (dare I say 'understanding'? ). Who knows, maybe it'll never happen again - and you're home-free. Let's hope.

My board will take awhile to fully light up too. There are time-delays built-in such that everything doesn't try to come on at once.

The microwave. Do you have a separate breaker on the inverter for it? Maybe a separate breaker elsewhere for it?

At least you're cool now.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
So glad you got it resolved. And many thanks for the update, that's something we've probably all experienced (or will ) down the road.

I'm convinced that sometimes these wonder-machines 'just do weird things'. Certainly, there's going to be a detailed engineering answer as to exactly why, but for us mortals it may be beyond our simple grasp (dare I say 'understanding'? ). Who knows, maybe it'll never happen again - and you're home-free. Let's hope.

My board will take awhile to fully light up too. There are time-delays built-in such that everything doesn't try to come on at once.

The microwave. Do you have a separate breaker on the inverter for it? Maybe a separate breaker elsewhere for it?

At least you're cool now.

My microwave is plugged into a standard wall outlet above the kitchen sink.
Not sure where its breaker is so I just unplug it as needed.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
30 amp simply can not run both A/Cs I modified my rig so I can do it but it is not something you can likely do on site.. Sorry

If the A/Cs are clean (Condenser coils mostly) and you have nothing (Fridge, Water heater) on and the batteries are full up there is a chance, but at 100 degrees out the chances are Slim and None and Slim is out of town.

Would you share your mod?

I am handy with a VOM and my buddy is a HVAC contractor.

Thx
Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
The previous owner of our coach modified the power going to the rear AC unit. I have never used it but just from looking at it I believe it will work.

This is what was done.

When the RV's are in the process of being roughed out they install a small junction box up in the AC Vent area. The power for these comes from the EMS system which will shed load if you are plugged into a 30 amp circuit. When the AC unit is installed they wire it into the junction box. The previous owner simply installed a standard 20 amp outlet in this junction box and then installed a male 120 volt plug on the end going to the AC unit. The AC unit just then plugs into the outlet and runs of the house power.

In most RV parks where there is a 30 amp RV outlet they also have 20 amp outlet. Simply take an extension cord and plug it into the outlet on the pedestal, run the cord through the window and up into the AC vent and plug the AC unit into the cord. The AC unit will run independent of the house power but will still be controlled by the thermostat.

Fairly simple mod to get you 2 AC units when only hooked to 30 amp outlet.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote