RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help with generator slide

On my "new to me" 2002 Monaco Windsor, the 7500 Onan genset is on a slide in the front. I went out to exercise the genset today and thought I would slide it out, just to see what all kind of stuff is in there. I pressed the genset slide button but nothing happened. I know it has worked in the past. I tested it when I bought it and again once after I got it home. I tried the switch both directions. I can hear the motor running but the slide isn't coming out. Is there anything I need to do before the slide extends? I'm still trying to learn the in's and out's of this motorhome and there is a lot more to it as opposed to my '94 Allegro Bus. BTW and just FYI, I was able to exercise the generator. It cranks up and runs like a charm.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

tinstar 1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If yours is anything like mine, it's mostly air under there,

so as a start, slide under there and lube the rails/slides and let them soak for a while to make sure it's just not 'sticking'...

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This is a Power Gear slide. It uses a reversing motor/pump system for the extend retract function. There is a hydraulic ram the moves the slide in and out. The system relies on a lock valve that is in a small aluminum block mounted on the end of the ram.

To get the slide out you can take the nut off the end of the stem of the hydraulic ram, need a large socket and extension. Sometimes just doing this frees up the slide and it will work.

It is a known problem that trash will get into the lock valve and the slide will not go in or out or it will slowly drift out. I've had this happen to me several times. Replaced the small lock valve the first time, worked for a little while and then stuck again. I now just take the hydraulic block off, disassemble and clean, reinstall and it will work a little while longer.

When you take the block off unscrew both fittings, under one fitting there is a small shuttle lock valve. If it is stuck you can use compressed air to get it free but be careful, I wrap the valve in a rag as when it comes out it will be traveling at velocity. Clean everything up and reinstall.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
This is a Power Gear slide. It uses a reversing motor/pump system for the extend retract function. There is a hydraulic ram the moves the slide in and out. The system relies on a lock valve that is in a small aluminum block mounted on the end of the ram.

To get the slide out you can take the nut off the end of the stem of the hydraulic ram, need a large socket and extension. Sometimes just doing this frees up the slide and it will work.

It is a known problem that trash will get into the lock valve and the slide will not go in or out or it will slowly drift out. I've had this happen to me several times. Replaced the small lock valve the first time, worked for a little while and then stuck again. I now just take the hydraulic block off, disassemble and clean, reinstall and it will work a little while longer.

When you take the block off unscrew both fittings, under one fitting there is a small shuttle lock valve. If it is stuck you can use compressed air to get it free but be careful, I wrap the valve in a rag as when it comes out it will be traveling at velocity. Clean everything up and reinstall.

I crawled under this morning and think I may have found what you'er talking about. Is this it?

If that's it, I am guessing I will lose my hydraulic fluid when I remove the fittings???? I am hoping the shuttle lock valve will be obvious since I don't know what it will look like. Do you happen to know if the lock valve will be in the top or bottom?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, this is the valve block that controls the slide in/out function.

If you remove the hydrualic lines and eleveate them above the pump/tank level you won't loose all the fluid. I use a small tub to catch the spillage. I bought the tub at Lowes in the concrete mixing area.

After removing the block one of the ports will have a small round check valve in it that shuttles back and forth. It may be hung which is why your slide won't open.

Any type of trash in the hydraulic system can cause this to stick. The first time I tried to fix mine I took it apart and got it working. It then failed again, this time the lock valve was so hard to get out I damaged it and had to replace, ~$50 (just the valve, not the whole block). This time I took the cylinder out and made sure it was completely clean and drained all the fluid out of the reservoir.

Although I still have some trouble it is not as bad as it was and I've taken the system apart enough that it's not that big of deal.

One thing that I've read is that when you extend and retract the slide hold the button down for a little while, the thinking is that it flushes trash out of the lock valve.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yes, this is the valve block that controls the slide in/out function.

If you remove the hydrualic lines and eleveate them above the pump/tank level you won't loose all the fluid. I use a small tub to catch the spillage. I bought the tub at Lowes in the concrete mixing area.

After removing the block one of the ports will have a small round check valve in it that shuttles back and forth. It may be hung which is why your slide won't open.

Any type of trash in the hydraulic system can cause this to stick. The first time I tried to fix mine I took it apart and got it working. It then failed again, this time the lock valve was so hard to get out I damaged it and had to replace, ~$50 (just the valve, not the whole block). This time I took the cylinder out and made sure it was completely clean and drained all the fluid out of the reservoir.

Although I still have some trouble it is not as bad as it was and I've taken the system apart enough that it's not that big of deal.

One thing that I've read is that when you extend and retract the slide hold the button down for a little while, the thinking is that it flushes trash out of the lock valve.
Looking at this video at about 3:15 into it. This guy is repairing his. Is this something like what I need to do?

hydraulic valve block - Bing video
Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
jacwjames, I took the block off and have a couple more questions, if you have the time. I've included a couple of pictures down below. The first one is a bottom view of the block. Is the whole "round" assembly supposed to come out of the block or just the little center part with the nut on it. That center part does move about a quarter of an inch when I pull on it with a pair of pliers.

The second picture is of the top of the block. I can push a blunt nail in the small hole in that view and I find it is attached to the part with the nut on the other end. In other words, it moves the nut when pushing as it's spring loaded.

If the round part (around the nut on the bottom) is supposed to move up and down and or come out? Do you just shoot air in the top and it should pop out? I haven't tried the air yet but it seem solid in there.

Sorry for so many questions but I just don't want to break anything. Any further help is appreciated.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the round part is what is suppose to come out. I had the same trouble and ended up damaging the lock valve.

I was successful in getting it out using compressed air but BE CAREFUL as when it pops it can hurt someone or something. Wrap the aluminum block in a rag and try compressed air.

The lock valve actually has an oring type seal and the last time I had a problem the seal had popped out of the small groove causing the valve to hang. Pulled the oring out and reset, put back together and it worked.

I also find that when my coach is hot, after driving down the road, the slide will not work sometimes but the next morning when cool it will work.

PS,
I sent you a parts break down of the lock valve and a manual for the Power Gear Generator Slide which explains the system.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
For those that are following along. I got the lock valve out of the valve body. I've cleaned it and will reinstall it tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
For those interested, I reinstalled the lock valve this morning. I tried it afterward and it ran as smooth as butter. Special thanks to jacwjames
Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Even a broken watch is right twice a day

Tags
generator, slide