Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help with programing of RC7GS

Could not find another thread dealing with the programming of the RC7GS remote start, so asking for help.

I have a 2003 Moanco Dynasty Regent that my wife and I bought in January 2014. We spent the winter in a warm climates and dry camped quite a bit. I was unable to get the auto start feature to work on the RC7GS control. No matter how many times I went through the instructions, reprogrammed, pulled info from website etc., everytime when the panel would call for starting, I would get the error message, Gen won't start with the red warning light and buzzer going off after 4 attempts. You can start the generator from the remote button on the panel but auto does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I got to the point that I would just get up in the morning and start the generator until charged and do the same in the evening before dark. Never a problem with low batteries but why will the remote not work? Not much I cannot fix or do but this one has me baffeled.

All connections look clean and good, settings are correct on the inverter. Would love to figure this one out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
registeredla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Silly Question

Has it ever worked? I have a simple RC6 remote panel but it doesn't have the GenSet start function and I've been looking for a RC/GS or RC7 to upgrade to. So what I'm getting at, is it possible someone replaced the basic RC6 with a RC/GS and didn't wire it up completely? I know I would need to add wiring to use a RC/GS for GenSet auto starting. Just a thought.....

Good Luck
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #3

rc7/gs

I HAVE A 2000 Monaco Diplomat with a 2004 Xantrex 2012GS inverter. I installed an RC/GS remote to start and stop the gen set. It wouldn"t work. I called Xantrex and was told that the RC/GS was for the 2007 or later. Only the RC7 would work. I bought a different chip from them and it works. Give them a call.
jdecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
jdecastro

jdecastro

So does yours say RC7 GS on it? I then would need to get a chip that goes in the inverter itself? Might be a little too much $$ and not enough bang for the buck for me...
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tom,

Not sure if it has ever worked. But it is an RC7GS with the correct inverter. I have the build sheet and was part of the upgrades made at the time of order.

The inverter has a setting for auto start on it as it is set up for it.

Not sure if memory or something is not allowing it to work. Talked to a tech at an RV faucility and was told the settings have to be just so or it will not start. He could not find tech manual to give me settings. Following manual that came with the motorhome as well as checking the manual against Xantrec website. The manual that I have as well as the website will tell you about the faults and the red light, buzzer etc. and go on to say check settings. What they do not tell you is where to look for a setting that might be wrong. NO list to double check against except the programing directions. Those settings do not work for me at least right now, so stuck for the moment. I might have to call Xantrec when I get some time and walk through it with them.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #6

From memory so don't quote me too hard. Make sure clock is set correctly Make sure quiet time is off. Set the system to start at a high battery voltage to test it. I set them at the highest voltage I can and run the genset for 20 min or so then shut it down and leave shore power unhooked. now turn on every light and see what happens as the voltage goes down. If it starts the gen than it will work if not you need to see what it does do. It should begin a preheat start cycle with a rapid flashing gen light then cycle to start mode and crank the engine and start. If it faults out or times out with the rapid flashing light the problem could be in your genset The auto start stop system is just a set of switches ran from a program. The genset start timer is 30 seconds if the gen does not start it will fault out and wait to try again. I thought some allowed this time to be changed but can't find that value to change. I have seen several where the problem was the genset would not reach IAT and never cranked before the 30 sec was up. Then the system will shut down for 2 min and try again. If you have a bad or weak glowplug it will be slow reaching IAT and that can cause the auto start to fail. The system does not know if the motor ever cranks or not and if it takes more than 30 sec to start the gen it will never start it. Bu t to test them I max out the settings and force it to start in front of me so I can time the sequence and see what the fault is.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just to clarify. The genny starts if you press and hold in the ON/OFF pushbutton on the RC7/GS? If not you may have a poor connection at the remote start connector top front PS of the Onan itself. It is the smallish flat connector.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #8

RC/GS

The remote control I have is labeled RC/GS but wouldn't work with my 2004 inverter on a lot of functions such as gen. start. Xantrex said this inverter required a RC7/gs. They sold me a replacement chip to convert this control back to RC7 ($41.00) with shipping. I changed the chip and it worked. The RC7/GS isn't as smart as the RC/GS but as said it works.
jdecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all, for all of your suggestions. The Gen start does work without problem from the remote. When ice cold I say it glow plugs for 15 to 20 seconds and starts.

1mainiac, I will try your suggestion of settings this weekend when I find a few minutes. Never enough hours in a day, wish I were able to be a full timer like some of you are. Great advice of at least how to see if it will do anything at all. I can easily get a new glow plug and install that also. Probably not a bad thing to have a spare of anyway.

If that does not work, I will give Xantrex a call and get chip info like jdecastro states. I do remember checking all #'s against everything that the manual shows for proper inverter etc.. That does not mean anything though, even though all the numbers match with owners manual, maybe something is off in the chip.

I rememebr seeing another switch somewhere for auto or manual under the rig in a compartment. Need to find it agian and make sure it is set right also. Found it once when I was having another issue and now do not remeber where I saw it.

I'll let you know if it works after this weekend.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

There is a programming guide on the MCOA web site

If you are not already a member of the MCOA listserve, you should be. There are some absolutely critical files on that site that will answer a lot of questions that come up for Monaco owners. One can simply join by searching for the MCOA (Monaco Coach Owners Association) on Yahoo's site (of "Groups" and then apply for membership and you will be approved if you own a Monaco coach.

Your problem is the one that I had back in March of this year. I had bought a 2001 Dynasty Regent coach in 2013 and had no idea how to set the parameters of the RC7-GS. When I attended the Monaco International rally in Albany GA in March, I ran into Bob Penland who was parked next to me, and when I was talking to him and telling him I had no idea how the dang thing worked, he directed me to MCOA's site. On that site are two important things. One is a check list of the generally accepted default settings for the RC7-GS and an explanation of all of the parameters and the impact of each setting on operation. I followed the suggested checklist exactly and have been very happy with the results.

Further, there is about a 50 page or more list of all parts, part numbers, and suppliers for parts that have been used by Monaco on Monaco coaches. This is a VERY HELPFUL list !!! It is not bullet proof and there is information on there that is incomplete or simply wrong, but there have been a succession of helpful guys that have taken it upon themselves to maintain and research and "moderate" the list. For example, I needed to replace a burned out "illuminated" generator on-off switch in my control panel. The list indicated 3 or four different OEM manufacturers (since different switches have performed this function on different year coaches) and three or four suppliers (including a couple that did not sell direct to owners) and virtually none of the information was accurate, but that gave me a start, and I was able to find the switch I needed (manufactured by OSLO Switch company) for a price that was about 25% of the cost charged by Monaco.

The recommendations on the settings for the RC7-GS are those that were formulated by various users of the control panel and found to work best. If you can't joint MCOA for some reason, I will be glad to post the list of setting here on iRV2

Warm regards

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have attached a programming guide that I have put together from the owners manual.

The only change I make from winter to summer is the "Generator Start" SOC setting when the AGS should start. During the winter when the Aqua-Hot will run more often than in the summer I set it to 12.0 VDC. In the summer I set it to 12.2 VDC.

See if your settings are the same as mine.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: doc RC7-GS Programming List.doc (28.0 KB, 345 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, thank you for the info, no I am not a member but will be shortly. Richard, thank you forthe programing guide. I will give the guide a try tomorrow and see what happens. What a great group of helpful individuals.

Take care,
Kurt
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by registeredla View Post
Could not find another thread dealing with the programming of the RC7GS remote start, so asking for help.

Here is the manual. Tells you all about it
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...C7GSRevNew.pdf

I have a 2003 Moanco Dynasty Regent that my wife and I bought in January 2014. We spent the winter in a warm climates and dry camped quite a bit. I was unable to get the auto start feature to work on the RC7GS control. No matter how many times I went through the instructions, reprogrammed, pulled info from website etc., everytime when the panel would call for starting, I would get the error message, Gen won't start with the red warning light and buzzer going off after 4 attempts. You can start the generator from the remote button on the panel but auto does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I got to the point that I would just get up in the morning and start the generator until charged and do the same in the evening before dark. Never a problem with low batteries but why will the remote not work? Not much I cannot fix or do but this one has me baffeled.

All connections look clean and good, settings are correct on the inverter. Would love to figure this one out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is the manual
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...C7GSRevNew.pdf

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle