Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Help with winterizing residential refrigerator

I need to find out how to winterize the ice maker in my RV. It is a 2006 Monaco Dynasty with a Whirlpool Gold residential refrigerator in it. The owner’s manual doesn’t tell you how to do it. Calling Whirlpool was a waist of time. I called Monaco and they said to blow air through it and that would be good enough. Also Monaco said that Whirlpool doesn’t give instructions on how to winterize their refrigerators. I blew air through what I could. But I still have water in the lines. I tried to pump the pink stuff through but all I have done is make some more ice from the water that is in the lines for the fridge. Their must be an easier way, this is day 2 of trying to winterize it. I did everything else in and hour. I did a search but I did not find the info needed.

How do you all winterize your residential refrigerators?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
In back at the inlet water valve remove the water line. let the ice maker cycle twice, a small amount of water will drain out the valve, that all you will need to do. Water left in the icemaker will evaporate, on start up toss the first couple cycle of cubes away.
Rich
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I temporally connect a ac cord to the ice maker relay and blow all the water out. I hate the taste of pink stuff. When I installed the residential frig I brought out the relay wires and installed connectors to make the job easier.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #4

I take the water line off behind the fridge and blow air thru it while dw holds a glass for the water fill in fridge door until no more water comes out
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We pump the pink stuff and hit the test button a couple times and fill the tray with AF. We use our ice cubes for our cooler not in our drinks. Works for us....
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I can't get to the lines begins the fridge. I removed the ice maker tray and put a plastic container to catch the water as it "tries to make ice" so far I have over a gallon of water that I have pumped out. Still no pink stuff has made it through the line. I think I may need to pull the fridge out and extend the lines for easier access.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmoto
We pump the pink stuff and hit the test button a couple times and fill the tray with AF. We use our ice cubes for our cooler not in our drinks. Works for us....
Where is your test button located? My fridge is a Whirlpool Gold. I didn't see anything that said test.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Our Samsung has a button on the lower front underneath about 3"to test the ice maker. When pushed it puts it through a cycle.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmoto
Our Samsung has a button on the lower front underneath about 3"to test the ice maker. When pushed it puts it through a cycle.
Thanks I will try and find out if I have something similar.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
So it took me some time to figure out what was going on. The filter on the residential refrigerator worked so good that it removed the pink out of the anti freeze. So no matter how much anti freeze I pumped it still came out looking like water. It even removed most of the anti freeze smell. It is winterized now; next year will go a lot quicker.

Whirlpool has no test button if anyone was wondering.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
I can't get to the lines begins the fridge. I removed the ice maker tray and put a plastic container to catch the water as it "tries to make ice" so far I have over a gallon of water that I have pumped out. Still no pink stuff has made it through the line. I think I may need to pull the fridge out and extend the lines for easier access.
Jeep,
Why can't you get to your lines behind the fridge? What do you see when you remove the outside access panel that served as a vent for the old Norcold setup? I have the same residential and I can easily get to the back of the fridge. Did they eliminate the vent on the 06?
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would go with the first response, Remove water line, let cycle twice, If you are really worried hook up a wet/dry vac to the water line to help suck the water out (Stick the open end of the line in the hose, and use a fairly loose cover so there is some air leakage so as to not overheat the motor on the vac) while it cycles.

As for the rest of it, Wash out with soda water, leave door open (Block it so it can not close) Repeat soda wash in spring.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Our Monaco is new to us, we bought it 2 months ago. But the build sheet from it showed that it was ordered with the residential refrigerator. It does have the opening behind the refrigerator. Problem is the opening is up to high and the back of the refrigerator is so close to the wall it has only about 2 inches of clearance. The solenoids that you need to disconnect are under the fridge. I had to remove a panel on the back of the refrigerator to get to them after I pulled the refrigerator out. To solve the problem I added a disconnect about a foot from the solenoid so I can blow out the line to the icemaker. The coach was from Florida so it may never have been winterized.

Maybe when the coach was built the hole was cut to high and it was cheaper to leave it than throw it out....just a thought.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the hole was cut in the right place to vent the gas/electric refrig that was the standard refrig placed in the hole. Since the residential vents from the front below the doors, that hole just makes some of the backside accessible. I think mine came with a piece of insulation and screen over the backside of the outside vent to keep the critters out and the temp consistent with the inside temp.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator