Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #1

Hi-flow water regulator

Just discovered the Valterra Hi-flow pressure regulator from Camping World. WOW!! what a difference they claim 15 to 20% more @50-55psi.
You can see the difference when you look at outlet hole diameter.
Makes the shower and kitchen sink seem like house water flow. GREAT!!!
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geese View Post
Just discovered the Valterra Hi-flow pressure regulator from Camping World. WOW!! what a difference they claim 15 to 20% more @50-55psi.
The Goose, This is a tough subject to respond to especially when I don't want to come across as a smart alec but ... I normally run without a pressure regulator. If I need one believe me I need one badly because some places will blow my quick connect fittings apart. I'm just wondering how the performance of your domestic system would be if you just ran without the regulator?
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

I have been into some RV parks and measured their water pressure at 90+ psi. My house front faucet is 110 psi. I would never hook up without a regulator because of the danger of splitting an internal water line and causing a slow leak that I don't see and can't get to.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

Mr. DriVer. There is an RV park in Ouray, Co that has 100psi or higher. That kind of pressure seemed to burst the input water hose first, then who knows what else in the system inside the coach.
I made the post about the Hi Flow regulator because a lot of folks were most disappointed with weak flow from standard regulators and just hoped they didn't damage anything without a regulator. The Hi-flow is great!!
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Mr. DriVer. There is an RV park in Ouray, Co that has 100psi or higher!!
The Goose, Everything we would expect has a purpose and in this case I would definitely run a pressure regulator. If you're running a pressure regulator and need to, getting one that is optimized for use in your situation or area is essential!

My lithiums test sometimes is when I hook up my water line, turn on the spigot and if the stream shoots over to the other side of the campground .... I think I'd use a regulator!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I never bothered with a pressure regulator until last fall, when we went to a RV Park in Branson, MO. The owners of the park strongly, emphatically advised me to use one. They said that the water pressure to their park was known to spike up to 120lb sometimes! They used a pressure regulator for their own home, and for their laundry room, because the pressure was blowing things apart. They even had some for sale (cheap, like $10.00) for those people that don't have one. I've been using it ever since.

Jim Sanderson
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I hesitate to chime in here since I think The Goose covered it pretty well but I do want to note that with a lot of RVing under our belt and experience with very low flow in many campgrounds we also found that the pressure regulator was the culprit. We now use the regulator The Goose pointed out and have much better water flow. I also vote for always using a regulator since I have seen very high pressure at some parks. Even your stick house has a regulator somewhere in the water supply and that is usually set to about 50 psi. One man's opinion.

Lew
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You can see the difference when you look at outlet hole diameter.
Makes the shower and kitchen sink seem like house water flow. GREAT!!!
The Goose
I have said this many times

Standard RV pressure regulator.. Not nearly enough water flow to take a shower, Leave it on the shelf

High flow units (The ones with the colored plastic collar on the female end) abotu 90-95% of what I want when showering, These are "Acceptable"

Sure-Flow either installed or inline (identical regulator) gives me what I need for a shower. but no more.

WATTS 1/2 or 3/4 inch in-line whole house type regulator.. OH THE JOY

However. if you are happy with your valterra High-Flo... Then you need just a bit less than I do to shower.. As I said, it's the minimum acceptable.

Oh, one other thing.. I have a collection (I have personally tested these thigns) and currently use, depending on the park

Hose to filter to Sure-Flo to rig

or Watts set at about 60-65 PSI to hose to filter to Sure Flo to Rig

The park I'm in line pressure is currently measured at 80 but not long ago they were pushing 120 or more.. and 125 is the limit for the in-line filter I use.. Hence the 2-stage regulator system.