Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #15

Narrowed it to turn signal switch, anyone know where to find one of those?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #16

Still no cruise control, any ideas?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Still no cruise control, any ideas?

Ok, finally some progress. First I want to thank everyone who responded. Special thx to my friend Happycarz (Harry). Cooler minds prevailed with solutions and process of elimination.
Headlights temp fix in place. Need new turn signal switch, cruise control: bad fuse burnt towards top.
I checked every fuse in front run bay, this fuse checked good first time, but had voltage drop and would cut out. Replaced everything is good.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Ok, finally some progress. First I want to thank everyone who responded. Special thx to my friend Happycarz (Harry). Cooler minds prevailed with solutions and process of elimination.
Headlights temp fix in place. Need new turn signal switch, cruise control: bad fuse burnt towards top.
I checked every fuse in front run bay, this fuse checked good first time, but had voltage drop and would cut out. Replaced everything is good.
10Boomer,

Thanks for this update. It should be useful to me if necessary.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #19

So I did some more investigating last night. I traced wire from run bay to source. It’s label “step cover”, then goes out to Medallion, and the VIP wheel controller.
Thx Monaco for making it easy. NOT! Lol
Old 10-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #20

Ok, new update! I installed new turn signal switch, no bueno. Still no low beams. I do have high beam now.
Checked wiring back to side run bay. Looks good. If I put Harry’s temp fix back in, they work. Thinking it’s in the column or up in dash now. Search goes on. Any help appreciate it!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Perry,

Folks have had trouble with the SmartWheel circuit that controls the headlights. I am not sure of the details but it has something to do with insufficient current carrying capacity. The fix is to add an external relay and let the SmartWheel control the relay. This might be your problem. I will look and see if I can find more information.

Here are some things I found that might help.

Bob

I just had this issue on my 2003! You would think they would of improved it on your newer rigs!
The amount of amperage they try to put through that SmartWheel module ridicules! 10 amps on about a #16 wire with light weight plugs to the module. Mine burnt the plug right off the circuit board. Was able to salvage by soldering wires direct to circuit board!
Old 12-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Similar Headlight Problem

I have been having similar problems with headlights. I was having to turn the headlight switch on and off multiple to get them to come on. Last time out I turned on switch and high beams came on and would not shut off until I killed the ignition switch. Now neither the low or high beams will come on with the headlight switch.
I did some troubleshooting based on info in this thread and the smartwheel PDF. I found they came on when I used the flash switch on the smart wheel and the high/low switch will change the lights from high to low when I have them on by holding down the flash switch.
My first guess is that the 12v from the headlight switch is not getting to the smart wheel controller but other 12 volts in the smart wheel controller is engaging the headlight relay k1a.

Now I need help to find the smart wheel controller and the headlight relay k1a and figure out what additional isolation/troubleshooting I can do. Also would like to know what temp fix Harry provided. Thanks for any help.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #23
YC1

Headlights 2.pdf

Headlights 3.pdfHave you swapped out the relays in the diagrams ?

Often while working on one thing you will discover or accidently install another problem such as the cruise control issue. Just might not have noticed it when the light issue came up.

Check the attachment for the front distribution harness.

If it seems a bit fuzzy press your Ctrl button and the number 5 at the same time.

The little relays can be difficult to pull out. You can snag one from a non critical slot for testing. I keep many of these relays on hand. They really are a bit small for some of the tasks they have to perform.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Distrubition Panel Harness.pdf (107.2 KB, 57 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Because of all the help provided in this thread and a phone call with 10Boomer. I have been able to determine that 12 volts is not getting to smart wheel controller from the light switch. Before I tear apart the dash to get to the switch I want to locate and check the Circuit Breakers CB3 that is between the 12 volt source and the light switch. I have searched the front run distribution bay but no luck.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights