Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

High pitch whistle....

2002 40' Dynasty. Somewhere between 45 to 60 there is this high pitch whistle coming from the front that is not always there. Driving me crazy. Anyone ever experience this??
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

I have heard that some wind whistle can come from the front awning arms over the entry door. My 07 neptune had a whistle around 45 mph so i was told by reputable dealer to put foam pieces like goes over water lines to keep them from freezing inside the arm rails. I did so and seemed to stop the whistle but i still have a hard time believing that did it or maybe i'm just losing my hearing as i get older. Either way i'm not hearing it.
Good luck
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On your windows, do you have a weep hole cover missing? If yes, cover the hole with electrical tape temporarily to see if the whistle goes away.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
src

In my 2oo6 it was the generator door put painter tape on and take for a ride. I put some weather stripping on it wind noise gone.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have the whistle in ours. Seems to be coming from over the entry door but only certain times like maybe if the wind is a particular direction. A friend told me it is probably the awning, he thought it was the aluminum protector.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Boatdoctor.....Aren't you glad you asked....you now have 5 things to try. Seriously though, all of the items listed above can cause the whistle. Get yourself some foam and tape and take it for a test drive.

My door awning arms have the foam behind them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #7

Boatdoc, if at all possible..take note of what you have to do to make the noise(hopefully you can recreate it easily). Then take a roll of 3" wide masking tape and ladder for a road test....start taping off caps, seams windshield weatherstrip etc etc..1 at a time until you can not replicate the noise...what ever you covered with tape to eliminate the noise is what to make a permanent repair to.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I have heard that some wind whistle can come from the front awning arms over the entry door. My 07 neptune had a whistle around 45 mph so i was told by reputable dealer to put foam pieces like goes over water lines to keep them from freezing inside the arm rails. I did so and seemed to stop the whistle but i still have a hard time believing that did it or maybe i'm just losing my hearing as i get older. Either way i'm not hearing it.
Good luck
Chad
We put an awning over the passenger side windows on our '97 Type B MH. Got a terrible whistle, put foam in the "U" channel and the whistle quit. On our 2000 and now 2002 DSDP's the channels came filled with a plastic "U" but inverted to fill the arm. No whistle.
Must be like blowing air over a bottle, at a certain air speed/volume you get "music".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

Thank you for all the responses! Very informative. Looks like I have to do some driving and taping until I find the culprit. Being intermittent is going to make it a challenge, but I will update you all when I figure it out.

Thanks again
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue with mine. I tried adding foam tape to no avail. What cured mine was loosening the latch bolt on the jamb and moving it back. That closed the door tighter and stopped the whistling. Worth a try.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Funny, I've had that 45mph whistle since we bought the coach. I've tried to find it to no avail, using most of the tricks stated here. What I did learn is the that whistle scares the whoopeee out of deer!!! I saw a group along side the road that ran when I slowed and the whistle started. Doesn't happen if I keep speed up over 45. We drive rural in many places and have encountered deer many times luckily they always ran away and not across in front. Tried the deer whistles, worthless!!
Ron
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I had a high pitched noise after hitting a chuck hole in the road. It turned out to be the windshield coming loose. A few miles later the whole top of the windshield came loose. I nursed the coach home and had to have the windshield remounted.

Bob F, 08 Camelot
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Aha! Have to try some of those "fixes". We have the whistle on our Trail-Lite and it seems to be coming from the top right front corner but there's nothing there to stick out in the breeze. It's clean...as a whistle...as it were

Now I have to wonder whether it's coming from air turbulence breaking from the smooth front surface to the recessed awning channel.

Wonder if NASA/Ames will let me put it in one of their wind tunnels....

In any case, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

Boatdoctor, the first clue is to figure out why it is intermittent. A lot of good suggestions on what it could be BUT a lot of those possibilities would whistle all the time. Try and figure out what makes the whistle start. Is it road surface type, is it direction of wind or is it after you have used something.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote