Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

I want it Don't know how I have seen some coaches with what appears to be a mobile Hughesnet dish in the roof but I checked the Hughesnet web site and they claim they do not have any mobile applications at this time. Does anyone know where people are getting the dishes and are they automatic?

08 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV
montanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

I want it Don't know how I have seen some coaches with what appears to be a mobile Hughesnet dish in the roof but I checked the Hughesnet web site and they claim they do not have any mobile applications at this time. Does anyone know where people are getting the dishes and are they automatic?

Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

You could try the DataStorm Series from MotoSat ( http://www.motosat.com/products/ ) Don't have one myself but have heard good things about them.

Carl
Old 01-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As Carl said, Datastorm is very popular and active. They can certainly get you smarter quicker. You might also want to do a Google, and look for dealers like 'Dustyfoot' or 'Maxell' (or maybe it's 'Maxwell'). I understand some of them will even come out to your location for install.

I'm going to link this thread to our Technology forum, you'll get a lot of good info from there.

Say, when you get yours up and running, can I park next to ya and snag onto your wireless wifi connection too?

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #5

Google Dustyfoot, they have a great tripod as well as roof mounted unit. If you're in Quartzsite this year there is an outfit on the corner of 95 & B10 that will sell you one. I bought the Dustyfoot tripod set up last year and am very pleased with it. Takes me about 20 minutes to set it up,. . . . but I got nothin' but time

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by montanaB:
I want it Don't know how? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Phooey on huge roof mounted downlink dishes. I was full-timing for a year while using a Verizon EVDO V620 PCMCIA Air Card and my uptime was 90% or better. I can do everything I need to do on the Net for $60.00 a month and in many markets I can negotiate a Broadband connection.

With my new computer I just moved laterally into a V640 ExpressCard and I am able to negotiate a broadband connection here in my Conway office. Great thing about the V640 is I can bring it with me when I'm not in the motorhome.

Multiple users - no problem - PCMCIA Air Card routers are out there.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
paz

We have a MotoSAT rooftop unit installed by Dustyfoot and can highly recommend Scott at Dustyfoot. He also has a tripod-mounted unit.

Be aware these systems don't come cheap. The rooftop MotoSAT runs about $6000 installed and $80 a month for service. The tripod systems run about $1300 to $1600 and about $60 a month.

We love our MotoSAT. We are usually online within 5 or 10 minutes after we level the coach. No more searching for Wi-Fi campgrounds and libraries. Plus our system is encrypted and as secure as a home wireless system unlike an open Wi-Fi connection. Speed is not as good as broadband, but is MUCH better than dialup and usually quite acceptable.

The other good news is that you can add a Bird on a Wire (BOW) to receive satellite TV (separate agreement with DTV required). The BOW is an extra offset arm to support the LNB for TV. Once the dish is aimed for internet, the BOW is pre-calibrated to the correct position to reveive TV signals.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #8

Thanks all! I will start investigating all these options. I already have used campground wireless when available and works fine but many of the remote sites we go to do not have wireless. I have used my Verizon Treo phone as a modem and that works ok if I have a strong cell signal but it is not fast enough for my business needs.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
You can go to datastormusersforum for lots of good info on satellite internet. Both tripod and roof mounts. Good forum with no BS.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Phooey on huge roof mounted downlink dishes. I was full-timing for a year while using a Verizon EVDO V620 PCMCIA Air Card and my uptime was 90% or better. I can do everything I need to do on the Net for $60.00 a month and in many markets I can negotiate a Broadband connection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I'd bet you didn't spend much time in those States in the midwest where there's virtually NO cell coverage...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
We have a MotoSAT rooftop unit installed by Dustyfoot and can highly recommend Scott at Dustyfoot. He also has a tripod-mounted unit.

Be aware these systems don't come cheap. The rooftop MotoSAT runs about $6000 installed... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$4995....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Was that price thru Dustyfoot/Scott, Bob? Makes it a lot more attractive, if so.

Thanks!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Mike, I'd bet you didn't spend much time in those States in the midwest where there's virtually NO cell coverage... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My late 2005 Tour took me out to Casa Grade, AZ from points East and then on up to northern Utah to Logan via RT95 out of Blythe, CA. Through Needles, CA to Vegas and then up the I15 to Logan. Departing on I80 east we stopped in Rock Springs, WY and we were able to negotiate a connection. Moving on through Nebraska to Sidney, we stayed at the Cabela's Campground - still connected.

Earlier in the year we went to Missoula, MT and we were practically on all the time except for certain areas on I90 through north east WY and some locations in SD. I'm sure there more however stopping overnight in campgrounds I can negotiate a connection at least 90% of the time whether by EVDO, Wi-Fi or heaven forbid - Dial-Up.

One thing that you can do with a VZ card that you can't do with any roof mounted antenna is stay connected on the Internet while going down the road at cruising speed!

On most Interstates you can stay connected but you probably know this already since you have a VZ Card.

A VZ Card is an effective solution short of spending $6K+ on hardware alone. My new ExpressCard was priced at $75.00.

Unless you're keeping a motorhome until the wheels fall off, $6K tied up in permanently mounted (obsolete the day its installed) electronics equipment seems like a waste of money given that electronic technology is constantly evolving.

IF you have a legitimate business need and can expense the cost then by all means go for the gold.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #14
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:

Be aware these systems don't come cheap. The rooftop MotoSAT runs about $6000 installed... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$4995.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$4495 + $1000 installation + $500 Oklahoma sales tax and the BOW = $6000 (approximately). Maybe prices have come down, maybe some charge less for installation, and maybe there's no sales tax in some locations (like in Quartzsite?), but my bill was about $6000. I checked several installers when I had my unit installed last year and all were in the same price range. In fact, Scott at Dustyfoot was one of the few who would quote the installation cost up front. Expensive, but worth it ot me.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote