Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

Smile Holiday Rambler Neptune

We are in the process of choosing a used RV to travel the country as a semi-retired couple. A 2006 Holiday Rambler Neptune has become available for an asking price of $45,000 in our area of Missouri. We are in the very early stages of negotiations. I am looking for any and all advice on this make/model. Thanks.
LindaHagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure the trailing arms have been replaced, they are part of a recall on the R4R chassis and the 2006 Neptune is one of the coaches that are affected. Look at this site which lists the model/year.

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR

Replacement costs will be +$5K if haven't been done. If they fail will traveling you are out of luck and will have to be towed.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

Thank you so much. I will be sure to ask that question.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #4

LindaHagan-

Many coaches have "class" problems. For the Neptune and Cayman of this era, they are:

1) built on the lowest-end Roadmaster air-ride chassis, the R4R or RR4R. As "jacwjames" said, the trailing arms on these chassis can fail. Replacements are available at a cost of around $2500, plus labor to install them. There was a recall; some coaches may have the fix already applied. Some owners spend another $2500 (plus labor) to install a kit to improve what they consider to be a rough ride.

For Monaco and HR coaches of that era (Cayman and Neptune included)

2) are prone to slide floor rot. This is a well-known problem; there are lots of threads on it. A common place for rot to occur is at the front, outer edge of the slide floor on the driver's side. The floor will be mushy when pushed up from the outside, and there will be a gap between the white plastic material and the lower edges of the slides- the gap being the place were water gets in. The gap allows the plastic to tear, too. This can be fixed, and Guardian Plates applied.

3) are prone to clear coat failure on the full-body paint coaches. Damaged areas can be sanded and repainted.

4) may have leaks along the upper "beltrail." These can cause water damage to the floors below the driver and passenger front windows. The fix is to refasten the joint under the beltrail. It is either time (for the do-it-yourselfer) or money (pay someone else).

Some coaches will have some of these problems. Our coach is not subject to problem 1). We have had the other three, though.

Don't let these "class" problems keep you from buying a Cayman or Neptune. They were entry-level diesel coaches at the time, and fairly well-made, according to reports from owners. Monaco brochures are here, and HR brochures are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaHagan View Post
We are in the process of choosing a used RV to travel the country as a semi-retired couple. A 2006 Holiday Rambler Neptune has become available for an asking price of $45,000 in our area of Missouri. We are in the very early stages of negotiations. I am looking for any and all advice on this make/model. Thanks.
Every coach will have issues no matter the coach.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

Thank you Mark. I made note of all those items to look at when we go see it. Your response is genuinely appreciated.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #7

Thank you Mile Marker 42. That seems to be the most consistent comment I have heard. I Will definitely remind myself of that for all the post-purchase issues that will undoubtedly occur. I appreciate your response.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

I would not think a 2006 DP coach would last long at that price, I would check to see if owner has manuals and maintenance records.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I would not think a 2006 DP coach would last long at that price, I would check to see if owner has manuals and maintenance records.
Thanks Outbound. Will do. Also planning on getting an independent inspection on any coach that we decide to buy.

Tags
holiday rambler